Official Degree: Degree in Political Science
Duration / ECTS: 4 years / 240 ECTS
Places / Campus: 30 / Moncada - Alfara
Taught in: Spanish
- Have founded and rigorous criteria about current history, society and culture. The achievement of this competence implies acquiring criteria that allow understanding and valuing current society and culture, based on the rigorous consideration of present reality and its historical roots, with attention to the constitutional principles and the Social Doctrine of the Church, with in order to empower the graduate to participate responsibly in social life in order to peace and the common good.
- Being able to express oneself correctly or adequate development of oral and written communication and expression. The achievement of this competence implies knowing the resources of the oratory and the written expression. Verbal and non-verbal communication.
- Being able to cope with ease and efficiency in at least one foreign language. The achievement of this competence implies being able to develop the skills necessary to develop with ease and efficiency, both in writing and orally, in English and, trendically, in another foreign language. Ability to work in a national and international context.
- Being able to understand and synthesize complex propositions, in a critical sense, in the context in which they are presented. The achievement of this competence implies being able to define, distinguish and relate both the basic concepts and the premises on which the exposition of any argument is constructed, as well as to state and base its content in a synthetic and critical way, in the scientific context , political, social, media or organizational - in which they are presented.
- Being able to apply apprehended knowledge to problem solving. The achievement of this competence implies being able to, from the knowledge acquired, to solve problems - or to issue a judgment on them - be they theoretical, practical, moral or technical; and do it in a reasoned, prudent and effective way.
- Being able to gather and interpret relevant data to develop their own arguments. Achieving this competence implies being able to develop a hypothesis and plan its demonstration; obtain, interpret and select the information necessary for its study; recapitulate the result of the analysis with arguments that explain the process carried out and its results.
- Being able to transmit information, ideas, problems and solutions. The achievement of this competence implies being able to plan a communication process - taking into account the subjective and objective environment in which it is developed - and to carry it out professionally - in the background and in the form - effectively using the different resources communicative.
- Being able to undertake and complete projects autonomously, professionally and qualified. The achievement of this competence implies being able to design a work plan as well as undertaking its completion with constancy and flexibility - getting ahead and overcoming the difficulties that arise in its development and integrating the modifications that its future demands - in a professional and qualified manner.
- Have an integral vision of the human being in its immanent and transcendent dimension. The achievement of this competence implies having an attitude of seeking the truth, from different orders of knowledge, about human nature and personal dignity common to all men and women, with a particular attention to ethical and moral implications.
- Being able to participate in work teams and lead them. The achievement of this competence implies being able to collaborate in work teams, as well as leading them, contributing assertively and respectfully to the delimitation, planning and development of the objectives. Ethical commitment, vocation of service and orientation to the public.
- Being able to negotiate and manage the assumption of agreements. The achievement of this competence implies being able to negotiate, manage and mediate in the assumption of agreements in conflicting environments or conflicting interests from the objective of achieving the most just and convenient solution for all; seeking the understanding and integration of the legitimate positions and rights of each of the parties involved. Ethical commitment, vocation of service and orientation to the public.
- Acquire an ethical and personal commitment to the orientation for quality, excellence and personal sacrifice. The achievement of this competence implies instilling in the student the spirit of personal sacrifice to achieve a job well done, from the point of view of quality and ethics.
- Being able to recognize diversity and multiculturalism. The achievement of this competence implies valuing the different from a perspective that allows students to develop emotional intelligence, accept the variety of opinions and currents of thought, and better manage information, in order to perform a situation analysis on the issues raised that includes a broad and multicultural perspective.
- To be able to create study and / or research materials and to build on them, in an orderly manner, the plot thread of said dissertation or exhibition. The achievement of this competence implies being able to build your own study material through the use of the different resources available (notes, notes, manuals, monographs, databases, Internet, etc.) and to explain in a reasoned and orderly way a certain topic. This implies having the capacity to manage information, as well as the capacity for critical reasoning and autonomous learning.
- Acquire a study habit based on a personal discipline based on planning, rational use of resources, and time and space management. The achievement of this competence implies that the student will learn to manage the study time, accompanied by the continuous evaluation required by the Degree taught at the University, achieving personal maturity, in terms of discipline and creation of study habits is concerned.
- Knowing how to share your own skills and abilities with others, and request the indispensable help to perform tasks that require it. This competence implies appreciating the diversity, managing the time and human resources required by teamwork and / or individual work, employing leadership strategies, empathy and emotional intelligence, generating group synergies and enhancing personal capacity to appreciate the shortcomings. and personal resources that require sharing information.
- Know the historical foundations and main theories and approaches of Political Science. The achievement of this competence implies being able to identify the fundamentals, through their historical evolution, and to know the conceptual elaborations, the theoretical frameworks and the approaches that base the scientific knowledge in Political Science. Know the basic theoretical assumptions and the methods and problems of the different approaches. Know the nature of the object of study. Know the theories and approaches of power. Regarding professional knowledge (know-how): Identify documentary sources and recognize and use theories, paradigms, concepts and principles of the discipline.
- Know and understand the structure and functioning of political systems and institutions. Achieving this competence implies being able to identify and understand, as well as their institutions. It involves knowing (knowing): Knowing the theories and doctrines about political systems; theories of democracy; political systems and Understand the organization and activity developed by political institutions.
- Understand universal political thought and Spanish political thought. Know the main currents of universal political thought: its material, formal and knowledge sources. Know the main currents and authors of political thought in Spain. Being able to interpret political texts The achievement of this competence implies knowing the great international and national theories, and the deposit of Spanish political thought.
- Understand the basic foundations of Public Law (Administrative Law and Constitutional Law). Students will understand the sources of public law, administrative legal systems, public agents, the Constitution, the territorial organization of the State in the constitutional framework, fundamental rights and public liberties, their guarantees, the Constitutional Court.
- Understand the basic foundations of Administration Science, public ethics and administration ethics. Students will understand the basic tools of public management and public ethics. They will know the theoretical and practical aspects related to the planning and management of public resources. They will know how to design, implement, analyze and evaluate public policies. They will learn to manage the human resources of the Administration
- Being able to understand, evaluate, criticize and discuss propositions of political theory in context. The achievement of this competence implies being able to interpret and discuss political texts, propositions and theory in the historical, social, philosophical, normative, or economic context in which they are framed, politically based on their own opinions.
- Being able to reason and argue in Politology, to present in writing and in public the synthesis of their analysis. The achievement of this competence implies being able to combine a political reasoning correctly using the rhetorical methodology and the political argument, both orally and in writing.
- Understand the different possible methodologies in Social Sciences and Social Research Techniques and understand the fundamentals of General Sociology. The achievement of this competence implies that students will know the theoretical and practical foundations of the methodologies in the Social Sciences. They will advance in the application of the methodologies studied in applied research. Likewise, the graduate in Political Science may understand and distinguish social actions and collective actions; social actors and collective actors. It will understand the social movements, their historical forms and the current civil association. You can perform and interpret sociological analysis. Will know how to execute human resources management policies. You will know how to develop organizational, management and leadership capabilities.
- Understand the basic fundamentals of political economy and public economy. This competition implies that students will know society from the perspective of economic analysis, the functioning of the national and international economy, the production and distribution of wealth, the intervention of the public sector in the economy, economic policy and the functions of the public sector, public revenue and expenditure budget, and taxation.
- Understand the processes of political and economic integration, the structure and functioning of the European Union. The student will understand the integration processes, their foundation and theories, and the legal and institutional framework of the European Union, its policies and mechanisms for cooperation and action
- Understand international politics, public international law and international relations. This competence consists in understanding the sources of public international law and the current international legal system. In addition, the student will understand the complex international scenario through the identification of their political actors, their institutional, organizational and political structure, in addition to the interaction and activity they develop. Know the theories that underpin international politics. Know the structure and operation of the main international organizations. Analyze and assess international policy scenarios and the development and management of foreign policy and diplomacy.
- Assume as essential values in the development of the work of political scientists who take shape in the general principles of Law and in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. The achievement of this competence implies being able to interpret and apply political knowledge in accordance with the general principles, rights and fundamental duties enshrined in the Spanish Constitution, based on respect for the universal doctrine on human rights and in accordance with a culture of peace. and of democratic values.
- Understand the psychology of political actors and electoral processes. The graduate in Political Science will distinguish the various political actors that interact in public life. Understand the political behavior of these actors. He will know how to interpret the relationship between political culture and the stability of political regimes. You will know how to interpret and analyze the election results.
- Understand and develop political leadership strategies. The graduate in Political Science will know how to develop political leadership strategies, applying electoral marketing techniques, public speaking techniques and communication strategies appropriate to political marketing.
- Understand the History of Spain and Universal History. The graduate in Political Science will understand the evolution of the historical changes of Spain and the world, through the study of the History of Spain and Universal History. It will distinguish the main approaches and theories to analyze history, know the actors that promote social change and know how to interpret and analyze historical processes until the advent of the Contemporary Age.
- Understand social anthropology and political anthropology. This competence consists in understanding the sources of anthropology, the human being, their interrelations, and human diversity. The grader will handle anthropological texts, will know how to analyze and understand the essence of the human being.
Graduates in Political Science have a wide and varied range of professional opportunities, both in the public and private spheres.
It is worth mentioning the work of political scientists in international organizations and entities (NATO, UNESCO, European Union, Embassies and Consulates, offices of the Chambers of Commerce, etc.), as well as in non-governmental organizations (NGOs). Likewise, they can carry out their work in companies, foundations or research centers dedicated to sociological studies and electoral marketing. In this field, we usually resort exclusively to the hiring of political and sociological analysts, whose job is to carry out, implement and analyze electoral polls, opinion polls, preparation of election campaign materials and other sociological studies.
Thus, graduates may access, among others, the following professional activities:
- Civil Administrator of the State
- Local Development Agent
- Rural Development Agent
- Equal Opportunity Agent
- Awareness Agent
- Citizen Participation Agent
- Public Policy Analyst
- Political analyst
- Image consultant
- Political Behavior Advisor
- Labor Advisor
- External Consultant (International)
- Expert in public opinion
- Security Expert
- Manager of autonomous organizations, public business entities, public foundations or organizations
- Administrative Manager
- Cultural manager
- Project Manager
- Conflict Mediator
- Intercultural Mediator
- University professor
- Senior Technician of Public Administrations, both at the state, regional and local level (in various branches and specialties)
- Senior Technician of constitutional organizations
- Cooperation and Development Technician
- Technician in Applied Social Research and Public Opinion Studies
- Technician in International Organizations
- Public Policy Technician
That makes us different?
1. IEF: International Expert Focus
Our degree offers a special intensification in the areas that train you for international relations. This approach is articulated in:
- Structure of subjects of international content in the curriculum: European Institutions, History of International Relations, Theory of International Relations, Public International Law, International Organizations, International Cooperation, Humanitarian Aid, Foreign Administration, Foreign Policy of Spain, Foreign Policy of Europe and comparative politics.
- Subjects taught in English: Public International Law / Public International Law (3rd year) and Humanitarian Aid / Humanitarian Aid are taught in English (4th year). In this way specialized language in English is acquired from these areas, keep in mind that during the first and second we will have helped you improve your level in English so that you can follow these subjects without problems
- Free English classes: to improve your level and thus be able to do internships outside Spain and work in international institutions.
2. Your international experience
With our coordinated Erasmus program with mobility in France, Germany, Belgium, Italy, Poland, Portugal, Hungary and the Czech Republic. So you can study a semester or course in another country.
With our international internship program so that if you want you have a professional experience in Brussels, in the Italian Legislative Assembly of Umbria or in the Valencian Community-European Region Federation, in Belgium.
3. A training bonus connected to your employability
We offer you the possibility of taking, in parallel to the degree and for free, the Own Degree in Communication and Political Marketing, which links with the transversal competences of the degree and one of its main employability areas. You will increase your skills in public speaking and political discourse in our television sets, in political marketing tools and in electoral campaign planning.
5. Double degrees of the specialist in double degrees
You can study at the same time two university courses with compatible schedules, with all the classrooms in the same facilities and, of course, without paying twice as much. So are the double degrees of the University specialist in double degrees.
- Political Science Journalism
- Political Science Advertising and Public Relations
- Political Science Business Management
- Political Science Law
- Political Science Law
- Journalism Political Science
About the School
Somos una Universidad católica, pionera en el desarrollo de proyectos educativos innovadores. Estamos orientados a ayudar a las personas que aprenden con nosotros a entender la disciplina que estudian ... Read More