The pharmaceutical industry is dynamic and constantly changing. It needs smart, well-prepared individuals with the background knowledge in business, science and technology to effectively compete in this environment. With the worldwide aging of the population there is an increasing demand for pharmaceutical products. The jobs in this highly competitive industry include sales, marketing, and supply chain positions, as well as directors, and project managers. The Pharmaceutical Business major at Western New England University can prepare you these exciting opportunities.
Students who desire to work within this industry need specialized knowledge to be successful. No longer is it sufficient to be an effective sales person; the industry is moving to an account management style structure where company representatives help physician practices and pharmacies effectively manage their practices, as well as educate them about new drugs. This shift from selling to account management requires a new skill set, including marketing, organizational behavior, public relations, and industry specific knowledge. The Pharmaceutical Business major can give you that competitive advantage.
- The Pharmaceutical Business major offers a fascinating curriculum that focuses on both business and science to prepare you for entry into the pharmaceutical industry. It combines key elements of the pharmaceutical sciences with knowledge about how the industry operates.
- This multidisciplinary major integrates the fields of pharmacy, health care, and business, while delivering a firm foundation in the sciences. As a Pharmaceutical Business major, you will develop a knowledge base to prepare you for a career in the pharmaceutical, biotechnology, or medical diagnostic device industries.
- You will take business courses in Marketing and Management and can earn a certificate in SAP, a highly marketable information system used by major companies. Science courses range from Biology to Natural Science; Pharmacy courses include the the Fundamentals of Pharmacy. You will graduate with a distinctive 21st century degree from a College of Distinction: Western New England University.
Internships, Research and Special Opportunities
An internship is a requirement of this major. Internships and hands-on applications are key. We have a close working relationship with the campus offices of Human Resources and the Career Center and with local business and industry to develop dynamic new internships in the pharmaceutical industry.
Pharmaceutical Business students can participate in:
- Sophomore Experience Abroad (SEA) program
- Study Abroad Program
- Alpha Lambda Delta (first-year honor society)
- Beta Gamma Sigma (honor society)
- Alpha Kappa Psi (professional business fraternity)
as well as varsity and intramural sports, special interest groups, and student government.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated February 14, 2017