Music Therapy General Information
The music therapy program was established in 1980. This is the only music therapy program in the state of Oklahoma. Students may pursue either Bachelor of Music in Music Therapy or Equivalency/Registration in Music Therapy at SWOSU, both will satisfy the required eligibility for taking the National Certification Examination for Music Therapists for the credential of Music Therapist-Board Certified (MT-BC).
To complete the Bachelor of Music in Music Therapy, freshman and transfer students with keyboard/voice or instrumental emphases must fulfill the requirements of the degree in General Education, fundamental music, and music therapy core curriculum.
Equivalency/Registration in Music Therapy provides those holding Bachelor's degree in (especially) Music Education the opportunity to fulfill the music therapy competence requirement of the American Music Therapy Association.
Graduation will be only granted to the students completing the required coursework and an approximately 1040-hour internship, which makes one eligible for the Board Certification Examination for Music Therapists. MT-BC is the primary recognized music therapy professional credential in the U.S. Statistically, SWOSU graduates who took the Board Certification Exam have had 100% pass rate for the past several years!
The SWOSU Admission Packet may be obtained online.
Students applying for music therapy, in addition, may be eligible for Music Performance Scholarships, determined by auditions. Contact the Music Office at 580.774.3708 for an audition date.
Please submit the request form for materials to be mailed to you. You may also contact the Director of Music Therapy, ChihChen Sophia Lee, Ph.D., MT-BC, for concerns related to the SWOSU music therapy program. Please allow enough time for your application to be received by March 1 of each year for the consideration of any scholarship.
Scholarships / Job Opportunities
- NFMC Scholarships for MT Students
- AMBUCS Scholarships for Therapists
- Tylenol Scholarships for Students in Health-Related Fields
- Other student professional scholarships are available at AMTA Member only Area.
- University-Affiliated Internship Sites and Clinical Training Directors:
- Northern Oklahoma Resource Center, Enid, OK; Elizabeth Allen, MT-BC; Elizabeth.Allen@okdhs.org, 580.548-2634
- The Children’s Center of Bethany, OK: Rachel Nowels, MT-BC, firstname.lastname@example.org; (405) 470-2243
- Integris Bass Healthcare System of Enid/Rise School & Headstart of Stillwater: Robbin Buford, MT, BUFORX@Integris-Health.com, 580.213-3458
- Dimensions Academy of Norman, Susan Claeys, MME, MT-BC; email@example.com, (405) 579-1880
- Upcoming Internship Opportunities at AMTA
- AMTA-Approved Internship Sites - National Roster
About the School
Welcome to Southwestern Oklahoma State University--a university known for its quality academic programs and its friendly service to students, alumni, and friends.