Interior Design, B.F.A.
N.Y.I.T. is the only school in the tri-state area with both C.I.D.A.-accredited interior design and N.A.A.B.-accredited architecture programs together in the same school. Here you will benefit from the exposure and synergy that derive from the rigor and convergence of these two disciplines, ranging from diverse faculty input to innovative cross-disciplinary studios and design exercises. The program is carefully crafted to expose you to contemporary issues, precedent history and theory, and wide-ranging building, business, and project types as well as the latest media programs—not to mention some of the finest design training available. Founded by renowned Dutch interior designer and architect Han Schroder in 1967 (Rietveld/Schroder House, Utrecht), we continue to be guided by her commitment to the “interrelatedness of material, tool, form and strength”. Students and faculty originate from around the world and participate in prestigious design venues such as I.C.F.F. and Milan Salone. Our students often receive industry recognition for their design prowess, including our fourth $30,000 Angelo Donghia Foundation Scholarship winner in 2015. We remain dedicated to ensuring our graduates remain engaged in lifelong learning and have qualities that will distinguish them as leaders in the industry for the 21st century and beyond.
The mission of the Interior Design program is:
- To CREATE globally engaged, environmentally sensitive professionals who possess artistic sensibility, intellectual ability, and hands-on technical proficiency;
- To PREPARE interior designers for a lifelong process of interdisciplinary exploration, reflection, development and an acute understanding of human relationships and the built-environment; and
- To STIMULATE creativity and ENGENDER personal self-confidence, which is the earmark of leadership.
An N.Y.I.T. degree is your passport to an exciting future in an in-demand field. Possible career opportunities for graduates with this degree include:
- Interior designer (residential/commercial)
- Restaurant interior designer
- Furniture designer
- Hotel/resort designer
- Material and finishes specialist
- Interior project management
- Lighting designer
- Aircraft or nautical interior designer
- Exhibition/event design specialist
- Set designer (theater, film, TV)
Program taught in: