Fanshawe's four-year Honours Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting) degree program will give you the skills and knowledge to help any business, big or small, realize their goals. You'll graduate with many valuable and transferable skills including financial accounting, cost accounting, management accounting, business finance, auditing and taxation in addition to a variety of general business management concepts including business strategy, marketing, and human resources. You'll be dynamic, with the power to continue a journey of life-long learning. Available in a traditional in-class format with a September admission.
A requirement for graduation is the completion of a paid Co-operative Education work term. This process combines your studies with paid, related work experience. Fanshawe will be there to help you find the right business fit for your dream. You'll have access to consultants who will deliver classes, counsel and advise you as you move from the classroom to the real business world.
Upon graduation, you may be eligible to complete a Master's degree program at many other post-secondary institutions or complement your degree with a graduate certificate offered at Fanshawe College. Students currently enrolled in the Business-Accounting diploma program or Business Administration-Accounting advanced diploma program may be eligible to receive advanced standing in this degree program.
You'll satisfy the degree requirements for all accounting professional bodies and will be closely aligned with the requirements for the Chartered Professional Accountants of Ontario (CPA).
OSSD with courses from the University (U) or University/College (M) stream with:
- Grade 12 English (U)
(Note: minimum final grade required is 65)
- Mathematics one of:
- Grade 12 Advanced Functions (U)
- Grade 12 Calculus and Vectors (U)
- Grade 12 Mathematics of Data Management (U)
(Note: minimum final grade required is 65)
- Plus four additional Grade 12 University (U) or University/College (M) courses
- A final minimum average of 65.0% based on the highest six Grade 12 University (U) or University/College (M) courses
Mature Applicant with standing in the required courses and grades stated above
Post-Secondary Standing* (if applicable)
English Language Requirements
Applicants whose first language is not English will be required to demonstrate proficiency in English by one of the following methods:
- A Grade 12 College Stream or University Stream English credit from an Ontario Secondary School, or equivalent, depending on the program's Admission Requirements.
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) test with a minimum score of 560 for the paper-based test (PBT), or 84 for the Internet-based test (iBT), with test results within the last two years.
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic test with an overall score of 6.5 with no score less than 6.0 in any of the four bands, with test results within the last two years.
- Canadian Academic English Language (CAEL) test with an overall score of 70, with test results within the last two years.
- Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE) with a minimum score of 59, with test results within the last two years.
- A Cambridge English Test (FCE/CAE/CPE) with an overall score on the Cambridge English Scale of 176 with no language skill less than 169, with test results within the last two years.
- An English Language Evaluation (ELE) at Fanshawe College with a minimum score of 75% in all sections of the test, with test results within the last two years.
- Fanshawe College ESL4/GAP5 students: Minimum grade of 80% in ESL4/GAP5 Level 9 or 75% in ESL4/GAP5 Level 10.
Recommended Academic Preparation
- In addition to required mathematics courses in secondary school, students are encouraged to take additional mathematics and accounting courses.
Recommended Personal Preparation
- Students are encouraged to strengthen their critical thinking, problem-solving and time management skills prior to entering the program.
- Applicants with a Fanshawe College Diploma in Business - Accounting with a minimum GPA of 3.5 can apply to Level 4 of the Honours Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting) Degree.
- Applicants with a Fanshawe College Advanced Diploma in Business Administration-Accounting with a minimum GPA of 3.0 can apply to Level 6 of the Honours Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting) Degree.
- Applicants applying for individual course credits from Canadian universities must provide a detailed course content of theory and laboratory exercises (if appropriate).
- International applicants may apply for course credit achieved at the post-secondary level. Detailed course content of theory and laboratory exercises from the international institution must be included with a transcript as part of the request (official documents provided to the Office of the Registrar in a sealed envelope). If the translation of the documents into English is necessary this must be performed by a recognized service.
- Based on the guidelines established by the Postsecondary Quality Assessment Board for Honours Degree Programs, credits for advanced standing cannot exceed 50% of the program's total.
Applicant Selection CriteriaWhere the number of eligible applicants exceeds the available spaces in the program, the Applicant Selection Criteria will be:
- Preference for Permanent Residents of Ontario.
- Receipt of Application by February 1st (After this date, Fanshawe College will consider applicants on a first-come, first-served basis until the program is full).
- Achievement in the Admission Requirements.
- Achievement in Post-Secondary Studies* (if applicable).
*Applicants currently enrolled in a university or who have previously attended university or other post-secondary institutions and are applying to transfer into the Honours Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting) program are considered on the basis of their post-secondary standing. Specifically, applicants currently enrolled in a university or who have previously attended university must maintain a minimum average of 65.0% on the last ten full credit or full credit equivalent courses in order to be considered for admission. Applicants with less than ten full credit courses must maintain a minimum average of 65.0% on all courses in order to be considered for admission. Applicants applying from a community college must have successfully completed a diploma program with an overall GPA of 2.5 in their program. In addition, all students applying from university or college must have completed the pre-requisite courses in Mathematics and English as stated in the Admission Requirements.
Students will be well prepared to write certification examinations for the CPA designation as well as fulfill experience requirements for these organizations after completion of the degree program. Graduates may work in positions such as accountant, budget analyst, controller, financial analyst, taxation specialist, treasurer or auditor.
About the School
Fanshawe College is a large, publicly-funded College located in London, Ontario, Canada – approximately a two-hour drive from Toronto and Niagara Falls. There are 21,000 full-time students, including ... Read More