Bachelors of Science in Economics
The Bachelor of Science in Economics is designed for students who wish to receive specialized training in Economics within a broad liberal arts education. Flexibility to select from a variety of courses allows students to customize their education to their personal interests and career goals. An Economics degree provides skills and training for careers in business, law, government, politics, teaching, research, and a variety of other areas. This degree also provides a strong foundation for future graduate studies in business, economics, law and public administration. Successful completion of this program leads to the Bachelor of Science degree with a major in Economics. Not eligible for a double degree with the BSBA in Economics.
What can I do with this major?
General Information and Strategies
- Economics is a social science that researches people and how they use their resources with a focus on the economic well-being of society.
- An undergraduate degree in economics can lead to many career opportunities. Students should clearly define their goals and seek experiences and skills necessary to reach those goals.
- Most “economist” positions require masters or doctoral degrees in economics or a closely related field.
- Economics can serve as good preparation for graduate programs in economics, law, public administration, international affairs, management science, or business.
- Gaining relevant experience through part-time and summer jobs or internships is critical.
- Important skills for economists to gain include: data acquisition and analysis techniques, critical thinking, report writing, competency with relevant software, and the ability to identify economic trends.
- Learn about economics and business careers through research on internet sites and books, informational interviews of professionals, and exposure to work environments through shadowing, volunteering, or interning.
- Get involved in student professional associations in field of interest.
- Build and utilize a personal network of contacts. Once in a position, find an experienced mentor.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated December 31, 2017