Why Study Chemistry?
The mission of the chemistry department at Aquinas College is to provide students with knowledge of chemistry befitting their goals: for the general education students that they become literate in basic chemistry; and for the science major students that they possess the knowledge and skills necessary for them to succeed in their post-baccalaureate careers.
The American Chemical Society guidelines for professional training are the basis for the chemistry curriculum. Courses in general, inorganic, organic, analytical and physical chemistry form the framework of the program. In addition, courses in biochemistry, environmental chemistry, and advanced topics are offered regularly.
Students are expected to attend lectures, participate in laboratory work and become involved in research. Because chemistry plays a central role in all scientific disciplines the choice of careers of the B.S. chemist is almost limitless.
Designed for students who have an interest in chemistry but do not want to pursue a career in research. With a dual major in Chemistry and Business Administration, graduates of the program are prepared for positions in management, marketing, advertising, sales, or other business activities in chemical and pharmaceutical companies. The degree is Bachelor of Science.
Sixty-two (62) semester hours. CY111/112, CY211/212, CY215, CY325, CY346, CY400/401, MS252, ES211, ES212, AG210, AG211, BS201, BS202, BS305, BS460, BS492. Required allied courses: PC213/214, MS121/122. At least twenty (20) semester hours of the dual major must be taken at Aquinas College.
- CY111 General Chemistry (4) NL
- CY112 General Chemistry (4)
- CY211 Organic Chemistry (4)
- CY212 Organic Chemistry (4)
- CY215 Quantitative Analysis (4) QR
- CY325 Biochemistry (4)
- CY346 Instrumental Methods of Analysis (4) WI
- CY400/401 Undergraduate Seminar/Research (1/2) SC
- MS252 Statistics (3)
- ES211 Microeconomic Principles (3) BE
- ES212 Macroeconomic Principles (3) BE
- AG210 Principles of Accounting I (4)
- AG211 Principles of Accounting II (4)
- BS201 Principles of Management (3) BE
- BS202 Principles of Marketing (3)
- BS305 Financial Management (3)
- BS460 Ethical Application in Business (3) BE
- BS492 Cases in Business Policy (3) SC
- PC213 General Physics with Calculus: Mechanics, Sound, Heat (4)
- PC214 General Physics with Calculus: Electricity, Magnetism, Light, Nuclear Physics (4)
- MS121 Calculus I (4) MS
- MS122 Calculus II (4) MS
About the School
Aquinas College, an inclusive educational community rooted in the Catholic and Dominican tradition, provides a liberal arts education with a global perspective, emphasizes career preparation focused o ... Read More