Mechanical Engineering is a dynamic fireld of study that encompases engineering, physcis, mathematics and materials science discplines. Churned together, these pave the way for engineers to design, analyse, manufacture and maintain mechanical systems. It stands till today as one of the oldest and broadest fields in engineering and is evergreen in its relevance to society. Your best path towards becoming an engineer lies with Southampton because:
- You are granted access to world-class facilities including our wind tunnel complex, used by Formula One teams and Olympic athletes.
- Our degrees accredited by the Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE) in the UK.
- You will be tasked with design projects in each year of study to develop valuable engineering capabilities.
- Our MEng Mechanical Engineering programmes provide a route to Chartered Engineer (CEng) status, recognised by international bodies including the Board of Engineers Malaysia via the international agreement known as the Washington Accord.
- Students on the split-campus programme (2 years in Malaysia and 2 years in the UK) are offered the same course content and teaching quality as students in the UK for all four years
- Successful applicants typically have AAA or above at A level in Mathematics, Physics and one other (except General Studies and Critical Thinking).
- Pass in science practical assessment is required where applicable. The equivalent to that would be IB: 36 points overall, 18 at Higher Level including 6 in both Higher Mathematics and Higher Physics
- Sijil Tinggi Persekolahan Malaysia (STPM): AA in Mathematics and Physics plus A in one other subject
- Unified Examination Certificate (UEC) – Senior Middle Level: Students studying Science track in English with minimum 4 As including Mathematics I and II and Physics (not including Art, Chinese, Malay or Mathematics)
- Diploma in Mechanical Engineering (Aeronautics), Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (UTM): First-year entry with minimum GPA of 3.4
- Monash University Foundation Year: Minimum of 310 overall with 80 per cent average in Mathematics and Physics, and subject to attending an extended technical induction programme
- English language qualifications: Band 1C, IELTS 6.5 overall with at least 5.5 in each component.The equivalent to that would be IB: 36 points overall, 18 at Higher Level including 6 in both Higher Mathematics and Higher Physics
You can either choose to retain a broad-based study path with our MEng Mechanical Engineering or to select one of our 10 specialised degrees. The 10 areas for specialisation are:
- Acoustical Engineering
- Advanced materials
- Biomedical Engineering
- Computational Engineering and Design
- Engineering Management
- Naval Engineering
- Sustainable Energy Systems
You will learn through a combination of lectures, tutorials, laboratory experiments, coursework, problem-solving exercises and individual and group projects. Our degrees integrate design projects and the development of design skills within each year of study. Practical work enables you to gain hands-on experience and develop the critical skills and judgment needed for your future career. Our teaching follows the semester pattern of our UK campuses. Two semesters begin at the end of September and January, with examinations in January and May.
Each module contributes to your final degree. Should you choose to exit this programme after successfully completing three years of study, you will be eligible for a BEng qualification. The BEng route develops the same core skills as the MEng, however by choosing the MEng you will study a more extensive range of subjects at an advanced level.
Years 1 and 2 in Malaysia
The first two years are the same across our Mechanical Engineering degrees. You will learn the essential principles of mechanical engineering, as well as law and management, systems design, and modelling and computing, in order to take a product from initial concept to the marketplace.
Years 3 and 4 in the UK
In year three you will carry out an individual design or research project, which brings together the concepts and skills you have learned. You will also carry out additional module options.
In year four you will take advanced modules related to your chosen degree and participate in a major group design project, applying your engineering knowledge to a design problem.
Our fourth-year group design projects are often linked to current research activities or sponsored by industry. Previous projects have included the design and manufacture of a wall-climbing robot with surveillance capabilities and a lower-limb exoskeleton for rehabilitation.
- Design and Computing
- Electrical and Electronic Systems
- Mechanics, Structures and Materials
- Mechanical Systems Analysis
- Electronics, Drives and Control
- Engineering Management and Law
- Fluid Mechanics
- Materials and Structures
- Mechanics, Machines and Vibration
- Systems Design and Computing
- Engineering Design with Management
- Individual Project
- Manufacturing and Materials
MEng Mechanical Engineering | 4 years
This programme covers the essential principles of mechanical engineering, such as mechanics, structures and materials, design and computing. You will extend your knowledge and skills in your third and fourth years, taking part in individual and group projects.
MEng Mechanical Engineering/ Acoustical Engineering | 4 years
This programme will provide you with the knowledge to focus on the analysis, control and design of sound and vibration, and provides you with wide-ranging acoustical engineering skills, for instance, to reduce jet engine noise, optimise the sound of automotive engines, or improve the accuracy of ultrasound scans.
MEng Mechanical Engineering / Advanced Materials | 4 years
This programme will provide you with in-depth knowledge of the properties of both established and novel materials that are essential in modern engineered systems. You will study advanced topics such as the modelling of material behaviour, and develop the skills to design materials and surfaces from atoms to applications.
MEng Mechanical Engineering / Aerospace | 4 years
This programme will develop your expertise in aerospace systems, whilst maintaining the broad-based background associated with mechanical engineering. During your third and fourth years, you will focus on aircraft aerodynamics, propulsion, avionics and structural design.
MEng Mechanical Engineering / Automotive | 4 years
This programme focuses on a broad range of design and operational aspects related to automobile systems, from car structure and dynamics to noise and vibration issues, and human factors. During your third and fourth years, you will develop the specialist skills and knowledge required for a career in the automotive industry.
MEng Mechanical Engineering / Biomedical Engineering | 4 years
This programme blends engineering with biological and medical aspects of healthcare technologies. During your third and fourth years, you will focus on the mechanics of the human body, medical technologies and human factors in engineering. You will develop the expertise to enable you to solve the challenges faced in the design, materials selection, development, and testing of medical implants and other devices.
MEng Mechanical Engineering / Computational Engineering and Design | 4 years
This programme focuses on developing the specialist skills you need to unlock the potential of today’s immense computational power. During your degree, you will learn how to leverage sophisticated software to design complex technologies, and how to code and implement your own models and simulations.
MEng Mechanical Engineering / Engineering Management | 4 years
This programme will provide you with the technical skills to understand, design and manufacture innovative products, alongside the management expertise to take projects from initial concept to completion. In your third and fourth years, you will learn about business strategy, finance, and managing people and projects.
MEng Mechanical Engineering / Mechatronics | 4 years
This programme will provide you with specialist expertise in the integration of electrical and mechanical systems. You will have the opportunity to study and practise mechanical, electrical, and control engineering to develop smarter machines ranging from autonomous robots to self-driving cars.
MEng Mechanical Engineering / Naval Engineering | 4 years
This programme has been developed in conjunction with the Royal Navy. You will study marine engineering, ship science and marine craft concept design, alongside the key principles of mechanical engineering. You will develop the skills to apply your knowledge to cutting-edge ship and maritime craft design.
MEng Mechanical Engineering / Sustainable Energy Systems | 4 years
This programme explores sustainable energy technologies such as wind turbines, solar cells, batteries and fuel cells, combined with a holistic view of societal aspects of energy, its distribution and use. In your third and fourth years, you will study the behaviour of fluids, and thermal and heat transfer phenomena at an advanced level.
Recent graduates are employed at organisations including: Aston Martin Lagonda, Dyson, Jaguar Land Rover, Malaysia Airlines, Rolls-Royce, and Siemens. Our programmes offer a route to chartered status and are accredited* by the Institution of Mechanical Engineers. Links with industry are strong throughout your degree, with opportunities ranging from careers talks, through to projects led by organisations such as Siemens.
Program taught in: