- Official title: Graduated in Mechanical Engineering
- Branch of knowledge: Engineering and Architecture
- Center: Higher Technical School of Industrial Engineering of Béjar
- Type of teaching: On-site
- Spanish Language
- Regulated profession: Industrial Technical Engineer
- Duration: 4 academic courses
- ECTS credits: 240
- Places of new entry 2019-20: 35
The Degree in Mechanical Engineering begins to be taught at the USAL in the 2010-11 academic year, once the verification process is passed, and replaces the studies of Industrial Technical Engineer, Mechanical specialty. In 2016, this Degree renewed its accreditation.
This Degree qualifies to practice the regulated profession of Industrial Technical Engineer (Order CIN / 351/2009, of February 9 (BOE February 20, 2009) by which the requirements are established for the verification of the official university degrees that qualify for the exercise of the profession of Industrial Technical Engineer.
It aims to train future graduates who are capable of designing, improving and maintaining industrial production and manufacturing systems, mechanical devices and systems, components, machinery, engines and industrial facilities, as well as designing quality, safety and control systems for said activities.
The Degree in Mechanical Engineering of 240 ECTS is taught in two Centers of the Universidad de Salamanca : Higher Polytechnic School of Zamora (EPS) and Industrial Technical School of Industrial Engineers of Béjar (ETSII) with separate training itineraries, each of them taught entirely in each of the Centers. Both itineraries differ in the offer of subjects in the Specific Technology Mechanical Engineering modules (60 ECTS in the ETSII and 84 ECTS in the EPS) and Electives (42 ECTS in the ETSII and 18 ECTS in the EPS). This structure of itineraries allows students mobility between both centers, since it is based on an identical content of subjects in the Basic Training block (60 ECTS) and the Common to the Industrial Branch (66 ECTS), taught in the first two Grade courses. Both itineraries end with the completion of the Final Degree Project (12 ECTS).
The USAL offers the possibility of studying the Double Degree in Electrical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering.
In accordance with the provisions of section 3 of the Annex to order CIN / 351/2009, of February 9, the objectives of the Mechanical Engineer title are the following:
- Ability to write, sign and develop projects in the field of industrial engineering aimed at the construction, reform, repair, conservation, demolition, manufacture, installation, assembly or operation of: structures, mechanical equipment, energy facilities, facilities electrical and electronic, facilities and industrial plants and manufacturing and automation processes.
- Capacity for the direction of the activities object of the engineering projects described in the previous section.
- Knowledge in basic and technological subjects, which enables them to learn new methods and theories, and equip them with versatility to adapt to new situations.
- Ability to solve problems with initiative, decision making, creativity, critical reasoning and to communicate and transmit knowledge, skills and abilities in the field of Industrial Engineering.
- Knowledge for the realization of measurements, calculations, valuations, appraisals, surveys, studies, reports, work plans and other analogous works.
- Capacity to handle specifications, regulations and mandatory standards.
- Ability to analyze and assess the social and environmental impact of technical solutions.
- Ability to apply the principles and methods of quality.
- Capacity for organization and planning in the field of the company, and other institutions and organizations.
- Ability to work in a multilingual and multidisciplinary environment.
- Knowledge, understanding and ability to apply the necessary legislation in the exercise of the profession of Industrial Technical Engineer.
In the context of this project, the term Competence should be understood as the knowledge, capacity, skill or skill acquired, which give rise to an adequate and optimal level of performance and professional performance in our case in the field of mechanical engineering .
In accordance with the provisions of the Spanish Framework of Qualifications for Higher Education (MECES), the general competences that students must acquire are the following:
- Demonstrate to possess and understand knowledge in the area of Engineering from the base of general secondary education.
- Know how to apply this knowledge to your work, allowing you to solve problems within the area of Engineering.
- Ability to gather and interpret relevant data, within the area of Engineering, to make judgments and issue reports.
- To be able to transmit information, ideas, problems and solutions to a specialized and non-specialized public.
- Have developed the necessary learning skills to undertake further studies of specialization or continuous training with a high degree of autonomy.
These general competences are specified in the following:
- Understanding and interpretation of texts and data, development of skills for the concretion of them and their exposition in a clear and succinct way.
- Aptitude for the distribution of resources and times and their implementation in real situations.
- Ability to transmit concepts, ideas, processes, etc., related to Industrial Engineering orally and in writing, in a clear and correct manner.
- Ability to use scientific-technical tools for solving problems of calculation and design in Industrial Engineering and aptitude for the search of sustainable engineering solutions.
- Capacity for joint work and capacity for the development of multidisciplinary projects.
- Ability to relate to other people and open skills in the face of the creation of new relationships.
- Aptitude for professional insertion in diverse environments and with varied functions in the field of Industrial Engineering.
- Ability to incorporate new knowledge in the area of Industrial Engineering, based on the training acquired and necessary for the evolution of the technique.
- Development of autonomy and creativity capacities, which enhance skills for the development of own initiatives and undertake new projects.
In accordance with the provisions of section 5 (planning of the teachings) of the Annex of the order CIN / 351/2009, of February 9, which establish the requirements for the verification of the official university degrees that qualify for the exercise of the profession of industrial technical engineer, the curriculum must include at least the following competences grouped by modules.
Specific competences of Basic Training:
- Ability to solve mathematical problems that may arise in engineering. Ability to apply knowledge about: linear algebra; geometry; differential geometry; differential and integral calculation; differential equations and partial derivatives; numerical methods; numerical algorithm; statistics and optimization.
- Understanding and mastery of basic concepts about the general laws of mechanics, thermodynamics, fields and waves and electromagnetism and its application for the resolution of engineering problems.
- Basic knowledge about the use and programming of computers, operating systems, databases and computer programs with application in engineering.
- Ability to understand and apply the principles of basic knowledge of general chemistry, organic and inorganic chemistry and their applications in engineering.
- Capacity for spatial vision and knowledge of graphic representation techniques, both by traditional methods of metric geometry and descriptive geometry, as well as by computer-aided design applications.
- Adequate knowledge of the concept of company, institutional and legal framework of the company. Organization and management of companies.
Specific competences common to the Industrial branch:
- Knowledge of applied thermodynamics and heat transmission. Basic principles and their application to solving engineering problems.
- Knowledge of the basic principles of fluid mechanics and their application to solving problems in the field of engineering. Calculation of pipes, channels and fluid systems.
- Knowledge of the fundamentals of science, technology and materials chemistry. Understand the relationship between the microstructure, the synthesis or processing and the properties of the materials.
- Knowledge and use of the principles of circuit theory and electrical machines.
- Knowledge of the fundamentals of electronics.
- Knowledge on the basics of automation and control methods.
- Knowledge of the principles of machine theory and mechanisms.
- Knowledge and use of the principles of the resistance of materials.
- Basic knowledge of production and manufacturing systems.
- Basic knowledge and application of environmental technologies and sustainability.
- Applied knowledge of business organization.
- Knowledge and skills to organize and manage projects. Know the organizational structure and functions of a project office.
- Ability to write technical projects on construction sites and buildings in civil buildings (that do not require architectural projects) and industrial buildings.
- Ability to write documents that are part of execution projects prepared in a multidisciplinary way.
- Ability to analyze the execution projects and their translation to the execution of the works.
Specific competences of the branch of mechanical engineering:
- Knowledge and skills to apply graphic engineering techniques.
- Knowledge and skills for the calculation, design and testing of machines.
- Applied knowledge of thermal engineering.
- Knowledge and skills to apply the fundamentals of the elasticity and resistance of materials to the behavior of real solids.
- Knowledge and capacity for the calculation and design of industrial structures and constructions.
- Applied knowledge of the fundamentals of fluidomechanical systems and machines.
- Knowledge and skills for the application of materials engineering.
- Applied knowledge of systems and manufacturing processes, metrology and quality control.
Specific competences added:
- Knowledge of the regulations on occupational safety and industrial safety (in the construction sector and in the machinery sector).
- Applied knowledge of the organization of security, of personal protections, provisional installations, health and hygiene. Security in the different phases of construction. Machine Safety
- Knowledge of position analysis, cinematic and dynamic manipulators.
- Knowledge and mastery of basic concepts about the general laws of mechanics in mechanical engineering.
- Knowledge and capacity on the procedures, devices, techniques and topographic and construction materials and their application in construction projects.
- Expansion of knowledge and skills for the calculation, design and testing of machines.
- Knowledge and capacity for the calculation and design of metal and concrete structures.
- Knowledge and ability to design rigid and semi-rigid joints in elements of machines and structures.
- Ability to identify mathematical complexities in mechanical engineering applications.
- Knowledge and abilities for the calculation of vibrations in machines and structures.
- Knowledge and skills for the calculation and selection of handling and transportation systems.
- Knowledge and ability to design and calculate industrial and building facilities.
- Ability to constructively develop industrial facilities and buildings, control and plan their execution and verify service tests and their maintenance.
- Knowledge and understanding of tactical and operational aspects of the Production area. Planning and programming of processes. Management of Inventories and Quality among others.
- Knowledge of the most important Market Structures, as well as the fundamental decisions to be adopted in the field of Politics and Industrial Strategy.
- Knowledge of the fundamental aspects of the concept of Budget, types of budgets and Budgetary Techniques. Estimation of costs and ability to develop business initiatives.
- Capacity for cost modeling and basic knowledge of the legal aspects of the sector: quality management, certification and certification of products.
- Knowledge about material and energy balances, matter transfer, separation operations. Kinetics of chemical reactions and reactors.
Specific competences added due to the offer of optional subjects
- (*) Knowledge on control of electric machines and drives and their applications.
- (*) Capacity for the calculation and design of low and medium voltage electrical installations.
- (*) Applied knowledge on renewable energies.
- (**) Knowledge of the fundamentals and applications of digital electronics and microprocessors.
- (**) Ability to design analog, digital and power electronic systems.
- (**) Knowledge of the principles of automatic regulation and its application to industrial automation.
- (**)Ability to design control systems and industrial automation.
- (***) Knowledge of materials and their application in the textile field.
(*) Competence of Specific Technology of Electricity according to Order CIN / 351/2009.
(**) Specific Technology Competence of Electronics and Automation according to Order CIN / 351/2009.
(***) Textile Specific Technology Competition according to Order CIN / 351/2009.
The Degree in Mechanical Engineering is designed to welcome students with the capacity for scientific reasoning and the resolution of real problems that allow them to project, direct and coordinate all activities related to Mechanical Engineering. In addition to the essential habit of work, dedication to study and taste for the challenges posed by Engineering.
- Technical Drawing II
- Electrical engineering
- Mathematics II
- Industrial Technology II
Access, Pre-registration, Admission and Registration
In order to enroll in this Degree, special conditions or tests different from the general ones established by the basic state regulations are not provided.
Students with partial official university studies who wish to be admitted to this degree should consult the requirements in the section "Transfer of file" of the Academic Guide of the degree in this same web.
Academic and Professional Exits
Once you finish the Degree in Mechanical Engineering, we suggest you study one of the following University Master's degrees at the USAL , if you opt for a greater specialization:
- Industrial engineer
- Advanced Analysis of Multivariate Data and Big Data
- Nuclear physics
- Physics and Technology of Lasers
- Intelligent Systems
- ESO and Baccalaureate Teacher, Vocational Training and Language Teaching
The Degree in Mechanical Engineering enables access to the exercise of a professional activity, regulated in Spain and internationally, and a great demand given their varied career opportunities. Thus graduates may occupy very varied positions, such as technicians or managers, in companies of the broad industrial sector and services, in public administrations of scope, state, regional, provincial or local and may develop the exercise of free profession. The tasks they can perform are also very heterogeneous. Highlighting among them the following:
- Construction, assembly and maintenance of any industrial facility or facility of mechanical scope.
- Design and testing of new products or elements of machines.
- Programming of numerical control and robots.
- Projects, execution and direction of all kinds of facilities and operations included in the field of Mechanics.
In the other branches of engineering: Electrical, Electronic, Chemical, Energy, they have limited their powers, up to limits set by the Law.
- Participation in the areas of: management, organization, planning, quality, environment, commercial and occupational risks.
- Teaching, Research and technology transfer.
- Opinions, expert opinions and reports and technical actions in judicial, official and private matters.
The need for the degree in Mechanical Engineering is based on the different aspects that determine the high demand of graduates in the labor market, essentially, in relation to possible fields of professional activity, the responsibilities they must assume in the professional activity to perform, and the personal characteristics and training that the previous needs demand. These aspects, together with the knowledge of the type of company that these professions can demand, determine their professional profile and their possible labor market.
The USAL facilitates your professional insertion. Links of interest:
- Professional orientation.
- Training for employment.
- Employment exchange.
- Advice on business creation.
- Practices for students.
- Practices for graduates.
About the School
The University of Salamanca (Spanish: Universidad de Salamanca) is a Spanish higher education institution, located in the town of Salamanca, west of Madrid, in the autonomous community of Castile and ... Read More