- Official title: Graduated in Materials Engineering
- Branch of knowledge: Engineering and Architecture
- Center: Higher Polytechnic School of Zamora
- Type of teaching: On-site
- Spanish Language
- Duration: 4 academic courses
- ECTS credits: 240
- Places of new entry 2019-20: 20
The Degree in Materials Engineering, begins to be taught at the USAL in the 2013-14 academic year, and replaces the studies of Materials Engineering (2nd cycle).
These studies last 4 years (60 ECTS credits per year to complete 240 ECTS) and are organized in subjects of basic training (60 ECTS), compulsory (156 ECTS), elective (12 ECTS) and Final Project (12 ECTS).
Materials Engineering is an interdisciplinary field of knowledge that covers the study of the structure, properties, processing and applications of all types of materials (metallic, ceramic, polymer and biological) and encompasses not only traditional structural materials, but also to functional materials, etc. This degree will allow students to perform functions in industries both producers and users of materials, as well as laboratories linked to the development, characterization and quality control of materials.
The USAL offers the possibility of studying the Double Degree in Materials Engineering and Mechanical Engineering in the EPS of Zamora.
The general objective of the Degree in Materials Engineering is to train engineers with an interdisciplinary technical preparation; prepared to work with any type of materials (metallic, ceramic, polymer, composite, biological).
Specific competences common to engineering
- That students know how to solve mathematical problems that may arise in engineering, showing aptitude to apply knowledge about: linear algebra; geometry; differential geometry; differential and integral calculation; differential equations and partial derivatives; numerical methods; numerical algorithm; statistics and optimization.
- That the students acquire comprehension and mastery of the basic concepts about the general laws of mechanics, thermodynamics, fields and waves, electronics and electromagnetism and their application for the resolution of engineering problems.
- That students acquire basic knowledge about the use and programming of computers, operating systems, databases and computer programs with application in engineering.
- That the students understand and apply the basic principles of general chemistry, organic and inorganic chemistry and their applications in engineering.
- That the students know the concepts of company, the institutional and legal framework of the company and acquire the bases to organize and manage companies.
Specific competences specific to materials engineering
- That the students identify the structures of the different types of materials, and know the techniques of characterization and analysis of the materials.
- That the students describe and model the behavior (mechanical, electronic, optical, thermal, magnetic, chemical) of the materials and their integration in components and devices.
- That students plan and solve problems related to the selection, manufacture, processing, use and recycling of all types of materials depending on the tools available and the restrictions of time and resources.
- That the students identify the processes of selection, design, evaluation, manufacture and transformation of materials, taking into account their applications.
- That the students recognize the processes of recycling, valorization and reuse with special care in the deterioration of the materials and being respectful with the environment.
- That the students evaluate the safety, durability and structural integrity of the materials and components manufactured with them. That they know the regulations on work safety and industrial safety.
- That students have demonstrated to possess and understand knowledge in the area / s of study that starts from the base of general secondary education, and is usually found at a level, that although it is supported by advanced textbooks, it also includes some aspects that imply knowledge coming from the vanguard of their field of study.
- That students know how to apply their knowledge to their work or vocation in a professional manner and possess the skills that are usually demonstrated through the elaboration and defense of arguments and problem solving within their area of study.
- That students have the ability to gather and interpret relevant data (usually within their area of study) to make judgments that include a reflection on relevant social, scientific or ethical issues.
- That students can transmit information, ideas, problems and solutions to a specialized and non-specialized public.
- That the students have developed those learning skills necessary to undertake further studies with a high degree of autonomy.
- That students acquire the ability to interdisciplinary work inherent in the science and engineering of materials.
The Degree in Materials Engineering is designed for those students with the capacity for scientific reasoning and the resolution of real problems that allow them to project, direct and coordinate all activities related to Materials Engineering. In addition to the essential habit of work, dedication to study and taste for the challenges posed by Engineering and Science.
The degree is recommended for people who have passed the Bachillerato, studying in their options Mathematics and Physics and Chemistry, and then the entrance exam to the University.
Access, Pre-registration, Admission and Registration
In order to enroll in this Degree, special conditions or tests different from the general ones established by the basic state regulations are not provided.
Students with partial official university studies who wish to be admitted to this degree should consult the requirements in the section "Transfer of file" of the Academic Guide of the degree in this same web.
Academic and Professional Exits
Once you finish the Degree in Materials Engineering, we suggest you study one of the following University Master's degrees at the USAL , if you opt for a greater specialization:
- Industrial engineer
- Physics and Technology of Lasers
- Nuclear physics
- Advanced Analysis of Multivariate Data and Big Data
- Intelligent Systems
- ESO and Baccalaureate Teacher, Vocational Training and Language Teaching
The work areas most directly related to this Degree in Materials Engineering are:
- Quality control of materials. Analysis of mechanical behavior and in service.
- Obtaining, technology and applications of metallic materials, polymers, ceramics and compounds.
- Techniques of processing, selection and design of materials.
- Materials manufacturing technologies.
- Industrial organization and production systems.
- Manufacture of electronic parts and components, application to systems and components.
- Processing of materials with lasers.
- Biomaterials, manufacturing and design of implants.
- Processes and technology of recycling of materials. Environment and sustainable use of materials, environmental management and waste management.
- Instrumentation and non-destructive tests.
- Research (ID i) and teaching (university and non-university).
The USAL facilitates your professional insertion. Links of interest:
- Professional orientation.
- Training for employment.
- Employment exchange.
- Advice on business creation.
- Practices for students.
- Practices for graduates.
About the School
The University of Salamanca (Spanish: Universidad de Salamanca) is a Spanish higher education institution, located in the town of Salamanca, west of Madrid, in the autonomous community of Castile and ... Read More