- Official title: Degree in Food and Agricultural Engineering
- Branch of knowledge: Engineering and Architecture
- Center: Higher Polytechnic School of Zamora
- Type of teaching: On-site
- Spanish Language
- Regulated profession: Agricultural Technical Engineer
- Duration: 4 academic courses
- ECTS credits: 240
- Places of new entry 2019-20: 30
The Degree in Agri-Food Engineering begins to be taught at the USAL in the 2010-11 academic year, once the verification process has been passed, and replaces the Agricultural Technical Engineer studies.
This Degree qualifies to practice the regulated profession of Agricultural Technical Engineer (Order CIN / 323/2009, of 9 February, by which the necessary requirements are established for the verification of the official university qualifications that qualify for the exercise of the profession of Agricultural Technical Engineer, BOE 19/2/2009).
As of the 2017-2018 academic year, two different study plans coexist in the Agro-Food Engineering Degree:
- The 2010 Plan that began to be implemented in 2010-2011. Only students who have already begun their studies in this grade in academic years prior to 2017-2018 can enroll in it. This Degree renewed its accreditation in 2016.
- The 2017 Plan begins to be implemented in 2017-2018. Students who start their studies in this Degree in the academic year 2017-2018 or later can enroll in it. The complete implementation of this new curriculum will be progressive, course by academic year (in 2017-18 it is implemented first, in 2018-19 it is implemented second and so on) and, in the same way, courses of the plan will be progressively taught. 2010
- That students have demonstrated to possess and understand knowledge in the area / s of study that starts from the base of general secondary education, and is usually found at a level, that although it is supported by advanced textbooks, it also includes some aspects that imply knowledge coming from the vanguard of their field of study.
- That students know how to apply their knowledge to their work or vocation in a professional manner and possess the skills that are usually demonstrated through the elaboration and defense of arguments and problem solving within their area of study.
- That students have the ability to gather and interpret relevant data (usually within their area of study to make judgments that include a reflection on relevant issues of social, scientific or ethical nature.
- That students can transmit information, ideas, problems and solutions to a specialized and non-specialized public.
- That the students have developed those learning skills necessary to undertake further studies with a high degree of autonomy.
- Develop the leadership and teamwork capacity in a national and international context with the necessary flexibility to adapt to new situations in the field of agri-food engineering.
Basic training module
- Ability to solve mathematical problems that may arise in engineering. Acquire skills to apply knowledge about: linear algebra; geometry; differential geometry; differential and integral calculation; differential equations and partial derivatives; numerical methods, numerical algorithm; statistics and optimization in engineering.
- Acquire the capacity of spatial vision and knowledge of the techniques of graphic representation, both by traditional methods of metric geometry and descriptive geometry, as well as by computer-aided design applications related to engineering.
- Acquire basic knowledge about the use and programming of computers, operating systems, databases and computer programs with application in engineering.
- Understand, know and use the basic concepts of general chemistry, organic and inorganic chemistry and their applications in engineering.
- Understand and master the basic concepts on the general laws of mechanics, thermodynamics, fields and waves and electromagnetism and its application for the resolution of engineering problems.
- Understand and master the basic knowledge of geology and morphology of the terrain and climatology and its application in problems related to engineering. Aptitude to select, separately or jointly, the concepts of soil quality and productivity, as well as the agroclimatic classifications.
- Know properly the concept of company, institutional and legal framework of the company, and its organization and management.
- Understand and master the bases and foundations of plant and animal biology. Ability to apply them in engineering.
Module common to the agricultural branch
- Understand, know and use the principles of identification and characterization of plant species of productive interest.
- Understand, know and use the principles of the bases of development, nutrition and maintenance of plant production. Know how to apply the technology of production systems, exploitation and plant protection. To develop aptitudes to increase the vegetal production and / or to improve its quality, in a respectful way for the environment. Capacity for the previous preparation, conception, writing, signing and project management of projects related to agricultural production and exploitation.
- Understand, know and apply the bases and techniques of animal production to livestock production and exploitation systems that consider animal health and welfare.
- Understand, know and use the basic principles of biotechnology and its applications in the field of agricultural and livestock engineering for plant and animal improvement.
- Understand, know and use the principles of ecology. Ability to write and sign environmental impact studies: evaluation and correction.
- Know and use topographic instrumentation, cartography, photogrammetry, GIS and remote sensing and the appropriate computer applications in the field of agronomy. Ability to perform surveys and topographic reframes.
- Understand, know and use the principles of rural engineering. Knowledge and ability to perform calculation of structures and their construction in their scope of action. Know the principles of electrotechnics and rural electrification. Know and know how to select engines and machines and capacity to adapt their agricultural and / or agro-industrial use. Know the principles of agricultural hydraulics and irrigation systems. Knowledge of the organization and management of projects in the fields of agriculture, the ornamentation of green spaces and landscape, the construction of agroindustrial industries and their facilities. Knowledge of the functions and responsibilities of the agents involved in the building and their professional or business organization and administrative procedures, management and processing. Ability to write studies, basic studies and occupational health and safety plans and coordinate safety in the project phase or in the execution phase of the work. Ability to write documents that are part of execution projects prepared in a multidisciplinary way.
- Understand, know and use the principles of management and the use of agro-industrial by-products. Ability to write and sign management studies of agricultural and industrial by-products.
- Ability to know, understand and use the principles of decision making by using the resources available for work in multidisciplinary groups.
- Know, understand and use the principles of technology transfer, understand, interpret, communicate and adopt advances in the field of agriculture.
- Knowledge of the principles of the valuation of agrarian companies and commercialization. Ability to analyze and make decisions related to the economic-financial situation of the company. Ability to handle marketing tools and prepare reports of agricultural valuation.
Specific technology module: agricultural and food industries
- Knowledge, aptitude and capacity for the development of Food Engineering and Technology projects.
- Knowledge, aptitude and capacity for the development of engineering projects and basic food operations.
- Knowledge, aptitude and capacity for the development of Food Technology.
- Knowledge, aptitudes and capacities of development on processes in the Agri-Food Industries. Ability to establish diagrams of the technology linked to the food industries.
- Understand, know and use the principles of quality management and food safety. Capacity for the implementation and management of a HACCP system.
- Understand, know and use the basic principles of Microbiology and aptitude to apply them in Agrifood Technology and Engineering. Understand, know and use the basic knowledge of Food Analysis and aptitude to apply them in Agri-Food Technology and Engineering. Know the composition of food and aptitude to apply it in the agro-alimentary engineering. Ability to identify, characterize and transform food.
- Understand, know and use the basic principles of traceability and aptitude to apply them in Agrifood Technology and Engineering.
- Understand, know and use the principles of Agro-Food Industry Engineering.
- Capacity for the selection, and development of projects of installation and maintenance of equipment and auxiliary machines of the Agri-Food Industry.
- Ability to understand, know and use the automation of equipment and machinery and process control in the Agri-Food Industry.
- Aptitude for the implementation of construction systems and facilities and capacity for the execution of projects related to agroindustrial constructions. Capacity for the previous preparation, conception, writing, signing and project management of projects related to the agri-food industry.
- Ability to write and sign studies on Management and Use of waste in the Agri-Food Industry.
- Understand, know and use the principles of the bases of production and transmission of heat in the Agri-Food Industry.
The profile of the student who accesses it is characterized by showing an interest in knowing:
- The scientific principles of agricultural and livestock activity for the production of agricultural goods.
- The agri-food sector from the economic point of view.
- The engineering in general and the engineering of technical bias applied to the agroalimentary.
- The design and realization of solutions for the agricultural and livestock sector.
- The management of agricultural and food companies
The applicant must have a completed baccalaureate, ability to study chemistry, physics, mathematics, biology and knowledge of the English language, and interest in the social, cultural and economic improvement of the region and the country, along with interest in practical work, both in the laboratory and in industry.
The Bachillerato itineraries that are most suitable are the Technology or the Nature and Health Sciences, as long as Mathematics, Physics, and Technical Drawing are taken in both.
- Technical Drawing II
- Mathematics II
- Industrial Technology II
Access, Pre-registration, Admission and Registration
In order to enroll in this Degree, special conditions or tests different from the general ones established by the basic state regulations are not provided.
Students with partial official university studies who wish to be admitted to this degree should consult the requirements in the section "Transfer of file" of the Academic Guide of the degree in this same web.
Academic and Professional Exits
Once you finish the Degree in Agri-Food Engineering, we suggest you study one of the following University Master's degrees at the USAL , if you opt for a greater specialization:
- Agronomic Engineering
- Advanced Analysis of Multivariate Data and Big Data
- Nuclear physics
- Physics and Technology of Lasers
- Intelligent Systems
- ESO and Baccalaureate Teacher, Vocational Training and Language Teaching
The professional interest of a degree in Agri-food Engineering is widely recognized by companies, professional corporations, universities and national and European research centers.
This degree provides the graduate with multiple competences that favor professional opportunities of various kinds, which will allow him to insert himself in a wide range of functions not only within the industries of the agri-food sector, which are currently clearly expanding and more if they are considered The socio-economic characteristics of the area of influence of the title (In the area of the Community of Castile and Leon, the agri-food industry is one of the mainstays of the economy Its varied and rich potential is manifested in sectors that lead production, as is the case of meat and dairy products, cereals, fruits and vegetables, bakery and pastries, etc., without forgetting one of the sectors that has developed an important growth, the wine industry, with a consolidated position in the agro-food production pyramid ), but also in other sectors of activity such as public administration, companies of supplies or services, farms, groups of producers, etc., as well as in the field of Engineering (consulting, safety and health, environment, construction and facilities, etc.), with interesting levels of remuneration from the beginning of its activity professional.
The USAL facilitates your professional insertion. Links of interest:
- Professional orientation.
- Training for employment.
- Employment exchange.
- Advice on business creation.
- Practices for students.
- Practices for graduates.
About the School
The University of Salamanca (Spanish: Universidad de Salamanca) is a Spanish higher education institution, located in the town of Salamanca, west of Madrid, in the autonomous community of Castile and ... Read More