Study a top Engineering degree in Malaysia & the UK for 60% of the cost
Our undergraduate degree courses in Engineering allow you to study for two years at our safe and modern campus in Iskandar Puteri, Johor, and two years in Southampton, UK, for 60% of the cost of studying in the UK alone*.
We also offer generous scholarships, including a 100% first-year fees discount for top-achieving applicants.
Our Aeronautics and Astronautics graduates are in great demand from some of the world’s leading companies. Here is what you can expect to gain from your educational experience:
- Access to world-class facilities including our wind tunnel complex, used by Formula One and Olympic athletes.
- Hands-on experience in designing projects within each year of study to develop your capabilities as a future engineer.
- A route to Chartered Engineer (CEng) status, recognised by international bodies including the Board of Engineers Malaysia via the international agreement known as the Washington Accord.
- A qualification that is also accredited by the Royal Aeronautical Society (RAeS) and the Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE).
- Flying opportunities through the Students’ Union in the UK.
- Multi-national exposure via the split-campus programme (2 years in Malaysia and 2 years in the UK).
- Successful applicants typically have AAA or above at A level in Mathematics, Physics and one other (except General Studies and Critical Thinking).
- Pass in science practical assessment is required where applicable. The equivalent to that would be IB: 36 points overall, 18 at Higher Level including 6 in both Higher Mathematics and Higher Physics
- Sijil Tinggi Persekolahan Malaysia (STPM): AA in Mathematics and Physics plus A in one other subject
- Unified Examination Certificate (UEC) – Senior Middle Level: Students studying Science track in English with minimum 4 As including Mathematics I and II and Physics (not including Art, Chinese, Malay or Mathematics)
- Diploma in Mechanical Engineering (Aeronautics), Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (UTM): First-year entry with minimum GPA of 3.4
- Monash University Foundation Year: Minimum of 310 overall with 80 per cent average in Mathematics and Physics, and subject to attending an extended technical induction programme
- English language qualifications: Band 1C, IELTS 6.5 overall with at least 5.5 in each component.
You can either choose to retain a broad-based study path with our MEng Aeronautics and Astronautics or to select one of our seven specialised degrees. You will learn through a combination of lectures, tutorials, laboratory experiments, coursework and individual and group projects. The seven areas of specialisation are:
- Aeronautics and Astronautics
- Airvehicle Systems Design
- Computational Engineering and Design
- Engineering Management
- Materials and Strcutures
- Spacecraft Engineering
Our degrees integrate design projects and the development of design skills within each year of study. Practical work enables you to gain hands-on experience and develop the critical skills and judgment needed for your future career.
Our teaching follows the semester pattern of our UK campuses. Two semesters begin at the end of September and January, with examinations in January and May. Should you choose to exit this programme after successfully completing three years of study, you will be eligible for a BEng qualification.
The BEng route develops the same core skills as the MEng, however, by choosing the MEng you will study a more extensive range of subjects at an advanced level.
Years 1 and 2 in Malaysia
The first two years in Malaysia are the same across our Aeronautics and Astronautics degrees. Students focus on core engineering sciences, such as aerodynamics, propulsion systems, mechanics of flight, and fluid dynamics and control. This gives you a professional grounding for the design and operation of air vehicles and spacecraft.
Years 3 and 4 in the UK
In year three you will carry out an individual project, which brings together the concepts and skills you have learned. In the past, students have studied the deflection of asteroids and investigated the aerodynamics of a race car wing.
In year four, you will take advanced modules related to your chosen degree, and participate in a major group design project, applying your engineering knowledge to a design problem.
Our fourth-year group design projects are often linked to current research activities or sponsored by industry. Previous projects have included the design and manufacture of a hybrid sounding rocket for space research and a UAV for search and rescue operations.
- Aircraft Operations and Flight Mechanics
- Design and Computing
- Electrical and Electronic Systems
- Mechanics, Structures and Materials
- Engineering Management and Law
- Materials and Structures
- Mechanics of Flight Propulsion
- Systems Design and Computing
- Aerospace Control Design
- Introduction to Aircraft Design
- Aircraft Structural Design
- Individual Project
- Group Design Project
MEng Aeronautics and Astronautics
You will study aerodynamics, astronautics, and propulsion, in addition to the economic, legal and environmental issues associated with aircraft and spacecraft. In your third and fourth years, you will extend your knowledge and skills in your third and fourth years, taking part in individual and group projects.
MEng Aeronautics and Astronautics / Aerodynamics | 4 years
This programme will provide you with the knowledge and skills to analyse and control aerodynamic behaviour. Your third and fourth years will focus on aerodynamic theory and practice for the design of vehicles, wings and propulsion systems. This course provides excellent preparation for both the aerospace and Formula 1 industries.
MEng Aeronautics and Astronautics / Airvehicle Systems Design | 4 years
This programme focuses on aeronautic topics, with an emphasis on helicopters and fixed-wing aircraft, engine design, and avionics. Using a complete vehicle systems approach, you will also learn about modern design, search and optimisation techniques. This programme is ideal for a career in air vehicle design.
MEng Aeronautics and Astronautics / Computational Engineering and Design | 4 years
This programme will develop your knowledge of computational methods in aeronautics and astronautics. The third and fourth years will provide you with the skills to solve new and emerging aerospace design challenges using advanced computational methods.
MEng Aeronautics and Astronautics / Engineering Management | 4 years
This programme will provide you with the technical skills to understand, design and manufacture innovative products, alongside the management expertise to take projects from initial concept to completion. In your third and fourth years, you will learn about business strategy, finance, and managing people and projects.
MEng Aeronautics and Astronautics / Materials and Structures | 4 years
This programme focuses on building your knowledge of structural design and materials selection for aerospace applications. In your third and fourth years, you will develop your understanding of how materials behave and enhance your skills in the structural analysis of aircraft and spacecraft.
MEng Aeronautics and Astronautics / Spacecraft Engineering | 4 years
This programme will develop your knowledge of overall spacecraft system design, including subsystems and their interfaces. You will learn to design, examine and test spacecraft systems, as well as understand their environmental impact. This programme provides excellent preparation for a career in the space industry.
Recent graduates are employed at organisations including: BAE Systems, European Space Agency, Jaguar Land Rover, Mercedes-AMG Petronas Motorsport, and Rolls-Royce. Our programmes offer a route to chartered status and are fully accredited* by the Royal Aeronautical Society and Institution of Mechanical Engineers.
Our degrees are aligned with the UK Space Agency Programme, and we have strong links with the European Space Agency and other major aerospace companies.
- A founding member of the Russell Group
- A top 20 UK university (The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2019)
- A top 100 global university (QS World University Rankings 2019)
- No. 4 for Mechanical Engineering - (The Times Good University Guide, 2020)
- No. 3 for Electrical & Electronic Engineering - (The Times Good University Guide, 2020)
- No. 6 in the UK for Aeronautics and Astronautics – (The Complete University Guide 2020)
- Targeted by top employers
About the School
Our Malaysia Campus in the EduCity development in Iskandar Puteri, Johor, enables students to experience the University of Southampton’s world-class education at around 60 per cent of the cost of the ... Read More