The Degree in English: Linguistic and Literary Studies Was approved in the BOE on 05.01.2010. Through the different subjects that integrate it and the 240 credits to be taken, it offers a solid formation in language, literature and culture for the anglophone scope. It also provides a broad perspective of linguistic currents and literary science applied to English.
Besides this, it facilitates that students acquire advanced knowledge of the Galician and Spanish language and literature, as well as the practical knowledge of other languages chosen by the students themselves (French, Italian, Portuguese).
Why study the degree
The degree offers an updated and rigorous training within the framework of the Galician University System. Focusing on the English-speaking domain, he gives detailed attention to the linguistic and literary aspects of English and English-speaking countries, at a time when this language acquired international importance.
In order to achieve all these objectives, it combines the necessary linguistic, literary and cultural knowledge with the management of the tools derived from the new technologies. It also offers the possibility of completing the training in prestigious foreign universities with which there are agreements (Bangor, Cork, Galway, Worcester etc.) and to get acquainted with other cultures and other people in their own country.
Thus, the student, at the conclusion of the degree, is in optimal conditions to apply the experiences and knowledge acquired to the world of work or the continuation of higher education.
What is learned
The degree provides extensive training in studies on language, literature and culture in the English-speaking world. The different branches of philological knowledge (grammar, pragmatics, sociolinguistics, history of the language, literary movements and genres, authors and authors of literature, etc.) are studied in English. In this way, the students are prepared to successfully develop the responsibilities of their working life. At the same time, it acquires a very good plurilingual competence (English, Galician and Spanish, optionally also in French, Italian or Portuguese), which is a positive result in its professional competences.
Structure of the Study
- Spanish Language 1
- Galician Language 1
- English 1
- General Linguistics
- Introduction to literary studies
- Language and Classical Culture
- Information and Communication Technologies
- English Language 2
- English Literature 1
- Spanish literature
- Galician Literature
- Spanish Language 2
- Galician Language 2
- English Language 3
- Modern Language: French
- Modern Language: Italian
- Modern Language: Portuguese
- English Literature 2
- Translation Techniques
- English Language 4
- Languages of the World
- History and Culture of Galicia
- English Language and Uses 1
- English Literature (XVI-XVII)
- Culture and Civilization of English Speaking Countries
- Phonetics of the English Language
- Writing and Argumentation Techniques
- Scientific-Technical English
- Modern Language 2: French
- Philosophy and Literature
- Modern Language 2: Italian
- Modern Language 2: Portuguese
- Contemporary Galician Literature
- Structures and Varieties of Latin
- Medieval Latin Culture
- The Romance Languages
- North American Literature 1
- English grammar
- Postcolonial Literature
- English Language Matters
- English Literature and its Critique
- Modern Language 3: French
- Language, Speech and Communication
- Modern Language 3: Italian
- Modern Language 3: Portuguese
- Linguistic and Literary Contacts in the Romance Tradition
- Latin Literature
- Comparative Literature
- Languages and Technologies
- American Literature 2
- English Literature (18th and 19th Centuries)
- English Language and Uses 2
- History of the English Language
- English Varieties
- English Literature and Gender
- Literature and Visual Arts
- Galician Language and Uses
- Language and Society
- Literature and Culture
- Spanish and Hispanic American Literature Readings
- Romance Literatures
- English Language Studies
- English Literature (20th and 21st Centuries)
- Final Project
- Irish Literature
- American Literature in its Texts
- Spanish as L2
- Modern Language 4: French
- Modern Language 4: Italian
- Modern Language 4: Portuguese
Professional and academic outputs
Professional environment in which it is located
The students who finish their studies of degree will have a very high specialization in the Anglophone linguistic and literary field. Therefore, it will connect with a professional universe also specialized in teaching in the public and private sphere (academies, colleges, colleges, institutes, foreign universities, etc.), linguistic advice, translation and cultural dynamisation As the main labor itineraries.
Professional and academic outputs
Among the main academic and career outlays are: teaching, translation and interpretation, cultural and editorial linguistic advice and mediation, cultural and linguistic advice in the business world, literary criticism, media, cultural management, linguistic promotion And literary, linguistic therapy, advertising, specialized bookstores, etc.
The students can also continue their higher education and access the various masters that are offered in the faculty.
The Degree in English: Linguistic and Literary Studies is designed for all those people with interest and special sensitivity to linguistic phenomena and their artistic manifestations in literature, especially in the English-speaking world. It is also appropriate for all students with literary and cultural concerns in English-speaking countries.
Common access requirements
In order to request a place, one of the following access requirements established in art. 2 of RD 1892/2008:
- To be in possession of the title of Bachillerato, or equivalent, and to pass the Test of Access to the University (PAU)
- Comply with the requirements for access to the university in the educational systems of member states of the European Union or other states with which Spain has signed international agreements in this area.
- Have passed the University Access Test for over 25 years, or have it passed, in the University System of Galicia, according to previous regulations.
- Have passed the university entrance test for those over 45 years.
- Possess a title of superior technician of professional formation, teachings of plastic arts and design or superior technical technician, or equivalent titles.
- Possess an official university degree, a degree from correspondents to the previous order of university education (graduate, graduate, engineer, etc.) or equivalent degrees.
- To be able to access the university according to educational orders prior to that established by Royal Decree 1892/2008, of November 14, not contemplated in the previous sections.
About the School
The University of A Coruña is a public institution whose primary objective is the generation, management and dissemination of culture and scientific, technological and professional knowledge through t ... Read More