|Bachelor of Maritime Management
270 ECTS credits
Degree Programme of Sea Captain
Campus: Suojantie 2, Rauma
Apply in Studyinfo.fi
Please see Studyinfo.fi (headline 'Admission and entrance exams') for admission criteria.
Entrance exam spring 2018
S.A.M.K. organizes its own entrance examination on the Internet. S.A.M.K. will send eligible applicants directions for testing the exam platform and for completing the entrance examination within two weeks of applying and presenting adequate proof of eligibility. Applicants are required to use their own computer and Internet connection.
In the entrance examination applicant’s learning skills, mathematical skills and understanding of written English are measured. The entrance examination can be completed from 15 January 2018 at 8.00 a.m. to at latest 13 April 2018 at 10 p.m. (all times Finnish time). Each applicant has 2 hours to complete the exam after starting it.
The applicant is required to get at least 75 points out of the maximum 100 points to be selected as a student or to be selected for the online interview. To be considered for selection from a reserve place after the application period, the applicant has to get at least 55 points from the online examination.
What is Unique in Sea Captain Studies at Satakunta University of Applied Sciences:
- Latest maritime simulator technology, taken in use 2017.
- Audited Dynamic Positioning Training by Nautical Institute in July 2017.
- Awarded by RINA/LR maritime safety award 2016 as part of SEAHORSE consortium.
- S.A.M.K. is a member of IAMU (International Association of Maritime Universities).
- S.A.M.K. is a member of IMCA (International Maritime Contractors Association).
- Rauma and Pori are cities in the heart of a maritime cluster of Finland.
The most comprehensive source of contracts and information for the global shipping industry.
S.A.M.K. Students Will be Employed
Maritime academies in Scandinavia have a long reputation for delivering an outstanding curriculum, which prepares students for finding their own niche in the field. Thus, seafarers with a Scandinavian degree in Maritime Studies are in high demand, especially for management level positions. Depending on their work experience they often work as officers, chief officers or Masters on board the ships.
Later in their career, many seafarers seek employment on shore. Typical land-based careers include work at port organizations or in stevedoring companies, inshore organizations of shipping companies or in chartering agencies. Moreover, other suitable jobs are working as a maritime inspector, maritime expert or as a pilot.
Versatile and International Campus
Study centre for offshore technology, international business and logistics.
- 1500 students.
- Diversified: business, health care and social services, seafaring, technology.
- International: bachelor and master degree programmes in English, about 150 international students every year.
Your Studies Include
- Navigation and Ship Handling;
- Shipping Technology and Shipping Economics;
- Seamanship and Leadership Skills;
- Ship Service and Maintenance and Ship Building;
- Ship Engines and Technical Systems;
- Maritime Law and Legislation;
- Ship Safety and Emergency Management.
While proceeding in your studies you gradually learn to work in a challenging environment and to make quick decisions. You will also get used to the special demands of life at sea, such as being able to adapt to different situations, to take responsibility and to be flexible.
In the thesis, you demonstrate your ability to apply your knowledge and skills in practical expert duties related to the professional studies.
Maritime Studies in S.A.M.K. comply with the standards set for the contents of the training by the international conventions (STCW). During your studies, you have an opportunity to apply for an exchange program and earn credits (ECTS) while studying abroad in any of the partner schools of S.A.M.K.. Onboard training can also be completed partly or entirely abroad.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated January 28, 2018