Interior design is both an art and science that involves the adaptation of natural and human-made environments not only to the cultural, social, economic and behavioural activities but also to the physiological and psychological attributes of people. Different interior design dynamics apply to the public as opposed to private buildings. However, the focus of interior design space shifts to the satisfaction of group and individual needs. The quality of the interior environment is determined by how well it satisfies the users’ needs and their preferences for functions, materials, and aesthetics.
Graduates from the Department of Interior Design have the opportunity to work in the interior design, interior architecture and architecture offices. They can either establish their own offices or work in the private and public sectors conducting design, implementation and commercial activities. Besides, they have the opportunity to become instructors in universities after continuing their higher education.
- Qualification: Bachelors in Interior Design
- Type: Undergraduate
- Duration: 4 years
- Qualification Name: Interior Design
- College: College of Arts & Science
- Language of offering: English
Teaching and Assessment
- This programme aims at providing the students with knowledge, background and ability in the subject of design and organisation of inner spaces.
- Students are provided with both theoretical and practical knowledge.
- All audio-visual media are used for designing works in the computer laboratories by means of modern drawing software (AutoCAD, Photoshop, Sketch-up & 3D Max). Information is given in courses like “Design Studio I, II, III & IV”, “Construction and Material” is mainly professional for the first three years.
- In the last year, which is the period of entering the profession, the schedule includes the final project research and design and several elective courses to offer the students the opportunity to choose from various specialisations within the field of interior design.
- The programme is a four-year full-time professional degree with a total of 134 Credit Hours, these credits include a graduation project.
- The medium of instruction is 100% English.
Bachelor's Degree Fees
The estimated duration for completion of a Bachelors Degree at Ahlia University is 4 years. This is structured around 134 credit-hours covering 45 courses.
The duration of study for each course is fifteen weeks, covering approximately 45 study hours.
- Application Fee: BD 20
- Registration Fee: BD 200
- Placement Tests Fee (if applicable): BD 40
- Orientation Courses (if applicable): BD 1200
- First Year Courses – 12 courses (BD 300 Per Course): BD 3,500
- Second Year Courses – 11 courses (BD 330 Per Course): BD 3,630
- Third Year Courses – 11 courses (BD 360 Per Course): BD 3,960
- Fourth Year Courses – 11 courses (BD 390 Per Course): BD 4,290
- Total: BD 16,840
Please note that the fees listed above do not include the cost of textbooks required to complete the program.
Applicants must hold at least a recognized and endorsed secondary school certificate or equivalent.
Applicants must pass the placement tests or submit an international recognised certificate or attain an acceptable score on an internationally recognised examination, in order to be exempted from the orientation programme.
To apply to join the University, applicants must fill in the Application form either by attending at the Directorate of Admission and Registration in the University or by filling in the application form online. In all cases, applicants must bring hard copies of all the required application documents to the Directorate of Admission and Registration in order to complete their application process.
When to Apply
The university has a limited number of places available for each academic programme; hence to ensure your application is considered you should apply by the relevant deadline:
- August 2019 – deadline for applicants wishing to join in the First Semester of the Academic Year 2019/2020.
- January 2020 – deadline for applicants wishing to join in the Second Semester of the Academic Year 2019/2020.
- May 2020 – deadline for applicants wishing to join in the Summer Session of the Academic Year 2019/2020 (Applications are restricted to transfer students only).
How We Select Students
Applicants are selected from the most promising of the eligible applicants and up to the limits of available space determined by the university. Please note that the requirements for admission stated by the University are in all cases the minimum demanded admission, and their fulfilment by an applicant does not automatically ensure their selection.
Prior to enrolling in University, citizens of non-GCC States should secure residence permits in the Kingdom of Bahrain; otherwise, their admission, granted conditionally, is subject to being rescinded at the discretion of the University.
About the School
At Ahlia University we are proud of our growing reputation as a provider of quality higher education in the Kingdom of Bahrain and the wider Gulf region. The high quality of education at Ahlia Univers ... Read More