- Faculty Name: Faculty of Industrial Design and Business Management
- Study domain: Industrial Engineering
- Name of the university program: Industrial Design
- Language of instruction: This study program is offered in English and Romanian
- Type of studies (full-time, part-time, distance-learning): Full-time
- Standard length of studies (in years) & number of semesters: 4 years/8 semesters
- Number of ECTS Credits (on semesters and on length of studies): 30 credits/semester, 240 credits in total
- Academic calendar (starting and ending dates of the courses): October 1st – June 30th. Extended to September 30th for re-examinations.
The Industrial Design program prepares the students/ future engineers for a career in the fashion and textile industry. The aim of this program is to train engineers with abilities, skills, and attitudes suited to finding solutions to the problems associated with products, processes, and services, such as design, development, and management of integrated systems (people, materials, equipment, and information specific to clothing and textile industry).
This program introduces the student/ young engineer to the production techniques and business practices needed to implement competitive manufacturing systems for today’s global marketplace. The student will acquire knowledge and skills in basic sciences together with modern methods of engineering for designing and developing innovative textile products, as well as the use of dedicated CAD/CAM 2D and 3D software for clothing and textiles and leather in order to translate textile concepts into marketable products, to predict and evaluate product quality and its utility in the customer’s life.
- Apply design fundamental principles and theory for developing new textile products.
- Make criteria decision and choice of materials to design textile products by acquiring and applying knowledge of specific technical information related to materials and manufacturing processes for new textile products to the design process.
- Innovate textile products by integrating multidisciplinary textile engineering knowledge with management, marketing, work organization, and textile business communication.
- Carry out complex professional projects and innovative research.
- Adapt to different and complex technological changes, using continuous learning throughout life to update personal textile knowledge in order to identify and integrate these changes in the process development.
- Work in interdisciplinary teams, be able to negotiate and manage the relationship with the external partners.
- Analyze and solve design problems by understanding the conditions specific to the product’s end-use, as well as evaluating product functions, ability to find alternative design solutions and evaluate them.
Duration & Credits
As an engineer (Bachelor of Engineering), you will have a wide range of career opportunities. The studies include a diverse perspective on design, technology and business management which will give you a good background to work in demanding tasks. Your studies, including practical training, will help you to find your own career path and professional interests, such as designer, technician, production, operational planning and development engineer, and business management, e.g. sales of technological products and services.
Possible jobs for our engineers are:
- Buyer Fashion PR
- Freelance textile designer with his own studio, and/or integrated into a department of a company
- Project engineer
- Quality engineer, Quality coordinator, Quality manager
- Production Planner, Production manager
- Development engineer, Design engineer
- Company technicians
- Ready-to-wear designer
- Fashion trends designer
- Researcher for innovative textile materials, products, technologies, and processes
- Consultant, CEO, Quality control of textile products and technologies
Admission & Fees
EU/EEA/Swiss Confederation citizens must acquire recognition of graduated studies for admission in a Romanian higher education institution, which will have to be assessed by the Romanian Centre for Equivalence and Recognition of Diplomas (CNRED). A certificate issued by CNRED recognising the candidate’s previous studies will have to be included in the application papers, along with application form and copies of study documents, birth certificate, passport, medical certificate, international English language certificate, photos and, where applicable, name change documents, certification showing student status and diploma.
Non-EU citizens’ application file must include application form and copies of study documents, academic records for completed studies, birth certificate, passport, medical certificate, international English language certificate, documents proving residence abroad and documents proving payment of the file processing fee.
Important: other than these general requirements, each candidate must also meet certain specific requirements when applying to this study program, so be sure to also check the Specific Requirements page.
Minimum requirements English language skills: Independent user, level B1.
Admission to this Bachelor’s program is based on the average grade of the high school graduation exam.
According to the Senate Decision, no. 129/12.04.2016, of “Gheorghe Asachi” Technical University of Iasi the following fees can be charged:
- Academic activities (laboratories, project, and seminars) that require an additional teaching program – 15 lei/hour
- Restoring the teaching activities of failed exams – 40 lei/ credit
- Re-examination – 40 lei / task
About the School
TUIASI students have access to top notch technical studies, as the university is one of the best in the country and Eastern Europe. Great professors, relevant courses and new labs await you.