Public Policy and Politics (Major Code: PPP)
- Major: Public Policy and Politics (Major Code: PPP)
- Degree / Award Title: Bachelor of Social Sciences in Public Policy and Politics (Major Code: PPP)
- Offering Academic Unit: Department of Public Policy
- Mode of Study: Full-time
Make a difference: Study Public Policy and Politics (PPP) at CityU
- How do particular public policies emerge?
- Who makes the decisions and why?
- Why are public policies so important and how do they impact on our everyday lives?
- How do politics and policymaking interact?
- What can we learn from other societies in relation to government and governance?
- What are the key ethical issues in politics and public policy?
PPP will give you the essential analytical, communication, and leadership skills to prepare you for a successful career in a wide range of public and private sector jobs. Substantial training and practice opportunities will be provided in various learning modes to build up your professional skills, competence and confidence.
Aims of Major
The major aims to:
- Provide students with a comprehensive education in the common core theories, concepts, and knowledge bases of public policy, public management, and political science.
- Enable students to specialize in public policy, public management, or political science for gaining an understanding of the essential theories, principles, dynamics, and analytic approaches of these bodies of knowledge.
- Equip students with the theoretical, conceptual, and analytical tools to understand comprehensively public policy, public management, and political developments in Hong Kong, China, and the contemporary global world
- Produce graduates who can meet effectively the human resources needs of a wide range of public and private sector employers in administrative, management, and policy and political analysis positions, as well as in the media and non-governmental organizations.
Intended Learning Outcomes of Major (MILOs)
Upon successful completion of this major, students should be able to:
- Analyze issues in public affairs and the public management concerns associated with them for generating new perspectives at the local, international, and global levels.
- Discover new challenges facing Hong Kong within the broad spheres of political studies, public policy, and public administration.
- Evaluate critically the ethical issues in public policy, management, and politics for creating new ideas.
- Develop the intellectual and analytical competence required for effective performance and life- long learning in a range of public- and private-sector careers related to policy studies, public management, and public affairs.
- Apply communication and leadership skills as they relate to public policy, management, and politics.
- For students with recognised Advanced Level Examinations or equivalent qualifications.
- For Associate Degree/Higher Diploma graduates admitted to the senior-year.
- # Students of 2015 entry or before transferred from another department of CLASS to the Major will be required to take 15/9 credit units of College Requirement for normative four-year degree/Advanced Standing I. Normative four-year degree and Advanced Standing I students transferred from departments outside CLASS to the Major in 2016/17 and thereafter will be required to take 6 credit units of College Requirement.
Housing and Urban Studies Stream: Accredited by the Hong Kong Institute of Housing and the Chartered Institute of Hong Kong.
BSocSc Public Policy and Politics
- Year of Entry: 2020
- Mode of Funding: Government-funded
- Admission Code: 1108 BSocSc Public Policy and Politics
- Mode of Study: Full-time
Indicative Intake Target (subject to change): direct application places
- Local Students: 14 (the Combined figure for the programmes 1108 and 1276A)
- Non-Local Students: Direct Application route for international and mainland Non-Gaokao students: around 250. NUEE route [全国普通高等学校统一招生计划（统招）] for mainland Gaokao students: around 225
- Normal Duration of Programme: 4 years
- Direct/Non-JUPAS Application Deadline: 2 January 2020 (Local & Non-local)
Entrance Requirements for Direct/Non-JUPAS Applicants
To be considered for admission, you must satisfy the General Entrance Requirements.
Start Your Career Here
The major in Public Policy and Politics produces graduates who can effectively meet the human resources needs of a wide range of public and private sector employers in administrative, management, policy and political analysis positions.
What You Will Be Studying
In the first year, you will take a number of foundation courses essential to the basic understanding of public policy and politics - public management, political science, urban studies, and philosophy. These courses will give you a solid platform on which to build up your general knowledge of public policy and politics.
In the second year of study, you will specialise in one of the following streams:
- Housing and Urban Studies
- Public Management
The Housing and Urban Studies stream studies housing policy, urban policy, housing management, law for housing studies, property management, housing economics and finance, building services and technology, and urban planning.
The Politics stream studies Hong Kong and Chinese politics, comparative government, international relations, democracy and democratisation, and ethics in government.
The Public Management stream focuses on human resources management, financial resources management, organisational behaviour in public management, management ethics, and public policy ethics.
A number of electives under each study stream will also be offered to PPP students to enrich their learning in the subject discipline.
Department of Public Policy
The Department of Public Policy (POL) is a multidisciplinary department with a multinational faculty and a strong international orientation. With faculty members graduating from many of the world’s top universities and with a commitment to leading-edge research and high-quality teaching, it can lay a strong claim to be the leading department in its field in the region.
Admission Arrangements for Direct/Non-JUPAS Applicants
Applicants to this programme (admission code: 1108) will be considered for admission to first-year studies in the Bachelor of Social Sciences in Public Policy and Politics programme.
Applicants seeking advanced standing entry can submit an application for the following programme:
- BSocSc Public Policy and Politics (admission code: 1276A)
Students are required to take courses to fulfil the University's requirements, such as Gateway Education, University Language and College Requirement. Students majored in Public Policy and Politics are also required to take six foundation courses in their first year of study.
Did You Know?
The PPP Major equips graduates for successful careers in a wide range of administration, management, politics, and policy positions in both the public and private sectors. PPP graduates work as administrative officers and executive officers in various government departments. Some also work as administrators and managers in public organizations such as universities, public hospitals, Housing Authority, Hospital Authority, and Airport Authority. Some teach in secondary school and some have gone on to work as anchors and reporters in the news media. Many of our graduates find employment in the private sector in the fields of public transport, banking, financial services, and property management.
Joint Bachelor’s Degree Program between the City University of Hong Kong and Columbia University for students in Public Policy and Politics (Politics Stream)
Students in the Public Policy and Politics Programme (Politics stream) may apply for admission to the Joint Degree Program. Students admitted to the Joint Degree Program will spend their first two years at the City University of Hong Kong and stay at Columbia University for their third and fourth years. Upon graduation, students will receive two degrees: Bachelor of Social Sciences in Public Policy and Politics conferred by the City University of Hong Kong and Bachelor of Arts in Political Science conferred by Columbia University.
The Department of Public Policy sends a large number of PPP students to overseas universities in Europe, Australia, the United States, Canada, and Asia for exchange study. The Department has achieved an impressive record in securing of international exchange places with universities in Europe, North America and Australia. The Department also provides internship scheme to PPP students to gain practical working experience in a wide range of both public and private organisations. This also helps PPP students to look for jobs after graduation. Various field trips and study tours to different places are organised by faculty in different courses to broaden the knowledge horizons of PPP students to enable them to compare and to evaluate the practice of public policy and the operation of governments in different countries.
About the School
Welcome to City University of Hong Kong (CityU). We are a dynamic university established in 1994 and uniquely located in the heart of Hong Kong, Asia's world city. Our goals are to pursue high levels ... Read More