- Major: Surveying
- Degree / Award Title: Bachelor of Science in Surveying
- Offering Academic Unit: Department of Architecture and Civil Engineering
- Mode of Study: Full-time
Aims of Major
This major aims to provide:
- the students with an environment in which to develop their intellectual, analytical and critical abilities, and to enable the graduates to become competent, skilled, reflective new members of surveying profession; with well-developed discipline knowledge who will communicate effectively; contribute through team and individual application of skills and knowledge to resolving problems; with a commitment to lifelong learning; and leadership in the building and construction professions.
- a basis for continuing professional development, and encouragement for professional specialization or higher academic study.
- a suitable foundation for educational development, within an academic environment, in order that students may reach their maximum potential. This foundation is achieved by attaining a balance between the intellectual, professional and the practical constituent elements; fostering an attitude of enquiry, confidence and professionalism; enhancing proficiency in communication and cultivating cultural sensitivity.
Intended Learning Outcomes of Major (MILOs)
Upon successful completion of this Major, students should be able to:
- Appraise land use planning, building performance and statutory requirement.
- Relate building science and technology to construct facilities and building sustainability.
- Appraise the value and potential of real estate developments.
- Apply legal principles to organize contractual documents, address contractual matters and resolve disputes.
- Manage and appraise real estate properties and modern construction technological principles.
- Provide professional services with critical evaluation of current practices and further applications.
- Formulate independent researches.
- Have had discovery embedded learning experiences.
- Develop the ability to become a life-long learner with a discovery embedded attitude.
- For students with recognised Advanced Level Examinations or equivalent qualifications.
- For Associate Degree/Higher Diploma graduates admitted as senior-year intake students.
^: The core course CA1167 (3 credit units) may be waived for students admitted with Advanced Standing II depending on their academic background.
- This Major is accredited by:
- The Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) in the form of partnership
- The Hong Kong Institute of Surveyors (HKIS)
- Graduates who are going to apply for entry to the APC scheme of Building Surveying Division (BSD) and Quantity Surveying Division (QSD) of The Hong Kong Institute of Surveyors (HKIS) have to complete the following courses:
- The HKIS QSD:
- The HKIS BSD:
- CA4229 (for 2017 intake onward)
- The HKIS QSD:
- For courses set with pre-cursor(s), ACE Department requires that all students must have attempted (including class attendance, coursework submission and examination) the precursor course(s) so identified.
- Where courses are assessed by a combination of coursework and examination, to pass a course, students must obtain minimum marks of 30% in both coursework and examination components, and an overall mark of at least 40%.
- The teaching schedules of some courses offered in Summer Term may start a few weeks earlier than the normal University schedule; students are advised to check the teaching schedules with the Course Leaders before registering for the courses.
Department of Architecture and Civil Engineering (options: BEng Architectural Engineering, BEng Civil Engineering, BSc Surveying)
- Year of Entry: 2020
- Mode of Funding: Government-funded
- Admission Code: 1201 Department of Architecture and Civil Engineering (options: BEng Architectural Engineering, BEng Civil Engineering, BSc Surveying)
- Mode of Study: Full-time
Indicative Intake Target (subject to change): direct application places
- Local Students: 6 for the Department of Architecture and Civil Engineering
- Non-Local Students: Direct Application route for international and mainland Non-Gaokao students: around 250. NUEE route [全国普通高等学校统一招生计划（统招）] for mainland Gaokao students: around 225
- Normal Duration of Programme: 4 years
- Direct/Non-JUPAS Application Deadline: 2 January 2020 (Local & Non-local)
Department of Architecture and Civil Engineering
The Department of Architecture and Civil Engineering is one of the founding departments of City University of Hong Kong. The Department offers professional education at both undergraduate and postgraduate degree levels. Our programmes are academically rigorous and professionally focused. Adopting an inter-disciplinary approach, our programmes are delivered by a professional team that includes civil and structural engineers, building services engineers, construction engineers, material technologists, environmental scientists, architects, urban planners and building and quantity surveyors. Our graduates are therefore uniquely placed to serve the architecture, engineering and construction (AEC) industry.
The AEC industry in Hong Kong is flourishing. Infrastructure and building developments, and the maintenance and refurbishment of existing facilities have contributed to Hong Kong's growing economy. There are notable opportunities for innovations and career development. In addition to the Hong Kong market, the local AEC industry can expect to participate actively in the international markets, including the People’s Republic of China. The Department has established close collaborations with universities and professional bodies both locally and internationally.
The introduction of a four-year university education offers a platform for the implementation of a discovery-enriched curriculum. Directed towards an outcome-based teaching and learning paradigm, together with excellence in applied research, the Department pledges to succeed in its mission of 'Meeting the world's challenges – Build tomorrow, create the future'.
The Department offers the following majors/Associate Degree:
- BEng – Architectural Engineering
- BEng – Civil Engineering
- BSc – Surveying
- BSc - Architectural Studies (Top-up Degree)
- ASc - Architectural Studies
Admission Arrangements for Direct/Non-JUPAS Applicants
Applicants to this programme (admission code: 1201) will be considered for admission to first-year studies at the Department of Architecture and Civil Engineering. Students will enter a major (current major options: Architectural Engineering; Civil Engineering; Surveying) after one year of study. The top 40% of students# will have a free choice of majors offered by the Department. The other 60% of students will be allocated a major within the Department, subject to the availability of places and the selection criteria set by individual majors.
# Based on CGPA with no failed grades and completion of at least 30 credit units including College/Department required courses.
Applicants seeking advanced standing entry can submit an application for the following programmes:
- BSc Surveying (admission code: 1547A)
- BEng Architectural Engineering (admission code: 1698A)
- BEng Civil Engineering (admission code: 1699A)
We aim to provide students with the necessary skills and knowledge to i) participate in real estate and infrastructure developments, ii) analyse building development proposals, iii) appraise contemporary building science and engineering techniques, iv) advise on appropriate means of procurement, v) pursue financial control of construction projects and vi) apply a multi-disciplinary approach to the management of construction processes.
Start Your Career Here
The construction industry has been one of the major drivers of the economies of Hong Kong and mainland China. This trend is expected to continue in view of recent major infrastructure developments in Hong Kong. Surveyors will find career opportunities in many areas including real estate development, construction, building economics, law, contracts, design, maintenance, project and facilities management and finance. Graduates of this major are expected to be in high demand.
Entrance Requirements for Direct/Non-JUPAS Applicants
- To be considered for admission, you must satisfy the General Entrance Requirements and the following major-specific entrance requirements:
- Grade E or above in HKALE Applied Mathematics/Pure Mathematics;
- Grade C or above in GCE A Level Mathematics;
- A subject score of 4 or above in the IB Mathematics subject group; OR
- Other qualifications equivalent to any one of the above and approved by the University.
- For senior-year (Advanced Standing II) admission, applicants are normally expected to have completed an Associate Degree/Higher Diploma in Surveying and a CGPA ≥ 3.0 in the scale with 4.3 maximum or equivalent.
- HKDSE students will apply for admission to first-year studies (JS1201) through JUPAS.
What You Will Be Studying
- Technology: Construction Methods, Building Design and Appraisal, Building Science and Engineering, Materials and Products, Energy Utilisation, Fire Safety, Building Services, Building Structures and Maintenance Technology.
- Communications: Information Systems, Professional Practice and Language.
- Economics: Tendering Strategies, Life Cycle Costing, Budgets, Development Appraisal, Measurement and Valuation of Construction Work.
- Law: Hong Kong Legal System, Law of Contract, Tort and Property, Construction Contracts, Building and Planning Control.
- Management: Principles of Management, Supervision, Organisation, Planning, Decision-Making, Property and Project Management and Computer Applications.
Industrial Training and International Exchange
The College of Engineering and the Department offer work placement opportunities through internship schemes that provide students with full-time job attachments to firms not only in Hong Kong but also in the Pearl River Delta region and overseas. Through such placements, students will:
- Gain solid experience in a real-life work environment;
- Develop problem-solving abilities and interpersonal skills;
- Learn the right attitudes towards work and professionalism; and
- Broaden their experience and enhance their employability.
Furthermore, to help students to broaden their educational horizons, gain language experience and enhance their awareness of different cultures, the Department, College and University offer over 110 credit-bearing exchange programmes with various partner institutions around the world including universities in Australia, Canada, Europe, the US and the Asia-Pacific region.
Did You Know?
- 100% of our graduates find jobs in related professional fields within six months of graduation.
- This major participates in an Industrial Attachment Scheme that offers students the opportunity to gain practical industrial experience.
- Under the Industrial Mentoring Scheme (Surveying), students have the opportunity to obtain advice from industrial mentors during their final two years of study.
About the School
Welcome to City University of Hong Kong (CityU). We are a dynamic university established in 1994 and uniquely located in the heart of Hong Kong, Asia's world city. Our goals are to pursue high levels ... Read More