Mechanical engineering is one of the broadest and oldest branches of engineering and can require work that ranges from the design and manufacture of very fine and sensitive instruments with micro and nano scales to the design and fabrication of huge power plants. The ME program emphasizes a fundamental approach to engineering in which the student learns to identify needs, define problems and apply basic principles and techniques to obtain a solution. This philosophy is incorporated into classroom lectures, laboratory activities, design projects, and research. ME graduates are expected to deal with moving devices and complex systems. Students learn about materials, design, manufacturing, solid and fluid mechanics, thermodynamics, heat transfer, control, and instrumentation, to understand mechanical systems. Specialized ME subjects include energy conversion, energy management, air conditioning, turbomachinery, composite materials and materials processing, combustion, fracture mechanics, selected topics in mechatronics and vibration, control engineering, introduction to robotics, selected topics in manufacturing and design, maintenance engineering, biomechanics and selected topics in bioengineering. The Mechanical Engineering undergraduate program in the College of Engineering at the United Arab Emirates University is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET.
- Our graduates will be creative and self-motivated engineers, able to mentor others and to achieve advancements in their areas.
- Our graduates will be qualified to achieve the goals of the industry which will be recognized through periodic promotions, leadership, reputation, and additional responsibilities.
- Our graduates will be expected to disseminate and implement codes of ethics and professional practice guidelines in resolving ethical dilemmas in their workplace.
- Our graduates will possess the entrepreneurial abilities that qualify them to lead a diverse and healthy economy and create a culture of innovation in their workplace.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems by applying principles of engineering, science, and mathematics.
- Apply engineering design to produce solutions that meet specified needs with consideration of public health, safety, and welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental, and economic factors.
- Communicate effectively with a range of audiences.
- Recognize ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations and make informed judgments, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts.
- Function effectively on a team whose members together provide leadership, create a collaborative and inclusive environment, establish goals, plan tasks, and meet objectives.
- Develop and conduct appropriate experimentation, analyze and interpret data, and use engineering judgment to draw conclusions.
- Acquire and apply new knowledge as needed, using appropriate learning strategies.
About the School
The United Arab Emirates University (UAEU) is a comprehensive, research-intensive university enrolling approximately 13,900 students, with more than 900 faculty and 65,000 alumni holding key positions ... Read More