This program aims to meet the demand for graduates of industries such as mineral, metal fabrication, foundry, semiconductor, ceramic, and other related industries. It highlights courses in physical and engineering properties of materials, analytical techniques, and material processing technologies. In addition, the program is complemented with courses in computer programming, waste recycling, and biotechnology. Students may specialize in any of the two areas of Semiconductors & Electronic Materials and Metallurgy. Career opportunities for geological engineers include those with geotechnical, environmental, groundwater, mining, petroleum, and construction companies/ consultancy firms or with government agencies.
- To enable our graduates to practice as successful materials scientists and engineers for the advancement of society. - To promote professionalism in materials science and engineering practice.
PROGRAM EDUCATIONAL OBJECTIVES (PEO):
Within the five years after graduation, the graduates of Materials Science and Engineering program shall have
- Undertaken, singly or in teams, projects that show ability to solve complex engineering problems
- Had substantial involvement in projects that take into consideration safety, health, environmental concerns and the public welfare, partly through adherence to required codes and laws.
- Demonstrated professional success via promotions and/or positions of increasing responsibility
- Demonstrated life-long learning via progress toward completion of an advanced degree, professional development/continuing education courses, or industrial training courses
- Exhibited professional behavior and attitude in engineering practice
- Initiated and implemented actions toward the improvement of engineering practice
STUDENT OUTCOMES (SO):
- An ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science, and engineering
- An ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data
- An ability to design a system, component, or process to meet desired needs
- An ability to function on multi-disciplinary teams
- An ability to identify, formulate, and solve engineering problems
- An understanding of professional and ethical responsibility
- An ability to communicate effectively
- The broad education necessary to understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global and societal context
- A recognition of the need for, and an ability to engage in life-long learning
- A knowledge of contemporary issues
- An ability to use the techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice.
- Knowledge and understanding of engineering and management principles as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments
About the School
Founded on January 25, 1925, Mapúa University (formerly Mapúa Institute of Technology) remains the leading technological academic institution and biggest engineering school in the Philippines.