This program is designed to prepare students to practice as engineers who are experts in the production process, from design through manufacturing. It is concerned with the application of basic scientific and engineering knowledge to the development, manufacture, and distribution of products of all types. It also covers areas as diverse as the design and operation of factories, the economic analysis of projects, computer simulation of manufacturing systems, the use of robots in manufacturing, the design of materials handling systems, and the design of systems for controlling production.
Graduates of this program have a good preparation for career options in numerous industries such as electronics, energy, food processing, and manufacturing. Possible positions in companies include design engineer, manufacturing engineer/manager, process engineer/manager, and more. Graduates are also well prepared for a successful graduate study.
To attain its vision, the school commits to:
- Develop excellent academic programs that respond to the rapidly changing needs of both the local and global communities.
- Conduct relevant and cutting-edge research and development projects in various fields of mechanical engineering that have an immediate impact on society.
- Undertake community extension projects that uplift the living conditions of the marginalized and preserve the environment.
- Produce graduates who are technically competent and imbued with Mapúa core values of discipline, excellence, commitment, integrity and relevance.
PROGRAM EDUCATION OBJECTIVES
Within the five years after graduation, the graduates of Manufacturing Engineering program shall have:
- Undertaken, singly or in teams, projects that show ability to solve complex engineering problems
- Had substantial involvement in projects that take into consideration safety, health, environmental concerns and the public welfare, partly through adherence to required codes and laws
- Demonstrated professional success via promotions and/or positions of increasing responsibility.
- Demonstrated life-long learning via progress toward completion of an advanced degree, professional development/continuing education courses, or industrial training courses
- Exhibited professional behavior and attitude in engineering practice
- Initiated and implemented actions toward the improvement of engineering practice
- Ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science and engineering.
- Ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data.
- Ability to design a system, component, or process to meet desired needs within realistic constraints such as economic, environmental, social, political, ethical, health and safety, manufacturability, and sustainability.
- Ability to function on multi-disciplinary teams.
- Ability to identify, formulate and solve engineering problems.
- Understanding of professional and ethical responsibility.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Broad education necessary to understand the impact of engineering solutions in the global and societal context.
- Recognition of the need for, and an ability to engage in life-long learning.
- Knowledge of contemporary issues.
- Ability to use the techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice.
- Knowledge and understanding of engineering and management principles, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects in multidisciplinary environments.
About the School
Founded on January 25, 1925, Mapúa University (formerly Mapúa Institute of Technology) remains the leading technological academic institution and biggest engineering school in the Philippines.