The horticultural sector is experiencing remarkable growth in the UAE and other Gulf countries. New modern production sites emerged in many places, and formerly empty urban areas were transformed into vivid green landscapes. Experts able to develop resource-saving plant production concepts, and to properly evaluate prospects and risks pertaining to biotechnological and chemical innovations in the horticultural sector are highly demanded. The Bachelor in Horticulture offers a diverse curriculum that combines theoretical knowledge with intensive practical training in cutting edge research laboratories, on experimental farms, and through off-campus internship experiences. The program encourages students to develop their talents and special interests, and supports them on their way to becoming creative experts in various fields of horticultural sciences, such as organic farming, plant protection, greenhouse, and nursery management, landscaping, applied biotechnology, and several more.
- Provide students with fundamental scientific information on the production and protection of horticultural plants in the arid environment.
- Develop student’s skills to successfully grow a diversity of horticultural plants in a resource-efficient manner in arid environments.
- Enhance student’s ability to sustain natural resources of the country and the region, and improve the quality of the environment.
- Provide students with new knowledge on agricultural technologies related to the UAE and the Arab world.
- Develop student’s awareness of using modern scientific methods in agriculture and horticulture and technology transfer for field applications.
- Demonstrate student’s professional skills and ethics, to foster positive attitudes.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Explain the basic characteristics of horticultural plants and cultural practices in arid environments.
- Produce efficient, safe horticultural crops with an understanding of the natural resources and the environment.
- Use horticultural plants and plant products for functional and aesthetic purposes in the arid environment.
- Discuss the principles and theories of integrating basic and applied aspects of modern technologies in the production and protection of horticultural plants.
- Employ technical skills for managing horticultural projects and natural resources.
- Select horticultural plants to enhance tolerance to stresses in the arid environment.
- Implement technologies for improving horticultural plant productivity, quality, and protection methods.
- Improve germplasm to develop modern breeding technologies.
- Apply sustainable horticultural principles and safe environmental practices.
- Minimize the negative impact of cultural practices on the environment.
- Develop skills to maintain and protect native and exotic plant species for the purposes of beautifying the environment and commercially producing horticultural crops.
- Explain the main characteristics of the UAE society in relation to farming and the adoption of technologies as a part of the Arab World.
- Discuss the similarity and integration of the Arab world in terms of the environment and natural resources.
- Conduct research using statistical methods and data analysis to establish the significance of technology applications.
- Demonstrate the ability to apply the knowledge learned in coursework and during the internship experience.
- Design, execute and evaluate technology transfer programs.
- Demonstrate communication skills necessary for leadership roles, and teamwork.
- Demonstrate critical thinking and creativity skills in the learning process and applications.
About the School
The United Arab Emirates University (UAEU) is a comprehensive, research-intensive university enrolling approximately 13,900 students, with more than 900 faculty and 65,000 alumni holding key positions ... Read More