A Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering is a professional degree program that prepares students for careers in electrical engineering. The degree provides students with the necessary technical and managerial skills to enter the workforce in the design application, installation, manufacturing, operation, and maintenance of electrical systems. Students gain hands-on experience throughout the program and learn the foundational electronics, mathematics, physics, chemistry, control systems and computing necessary to solve real-world problems in an ethical and socially-responsible manner. Students will learn the skills necessary to build, manufacture, operate, maintain and improve complex electrical systems. Graduates will have strong communication skills and are capable of communicating with a range of audiences, as well as the ability to work as a productive member of an interdisciplinary team.
Prepare graduates for a career as a professional electrical engineer.
Graduates will be able to:
- Successfully practice electrical engineering to serve state and regional industries, government agencies or national and international industries.
- Provide solutions to challenging problems in their profession by applying electrical engineering theory and principles.
- Communicate effectively, work collaboratively and exhibit high levels of professionalism and ethical responsibility.
- Achieve personal and professional success with awareness and commitment to their ethical and social responsibilities, both as individuals and in team environments.
What can I do with this major?
Electrical engineers design and build the critical components of various communications systems and infrastructure, including computing devices such as laptops and smartphones.
Unique course offerings
- Advanced Control Systems
- CAD/CAM Fundamentals
- Communications Systems
- Digital Logic and Computer Systems
- Discrete Structures
- Economics for Engineers
- Instrumentation and Control Systems
- Mathematical Methods for Engineering and Physics
- Operating Systems
- Power Systems
- Programming in MATLAB
- Signals and Systems
- Solid State Devices
Student Outcomes of the Program
Skills students will possess at the time of graduation include:
- An ability to identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems by applying principles of engineering, science, and mathematics.
- An ability to apply engineering design to produce solutions that meet specified needs with consideration of public health, safety, and welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental, and economic factors.
- An ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences.
- An ability to recognize ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations and make informed judgments, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts.
- An ability to function effectively on a team whose members together provide leadership, create a collaborative and inclusive environment, establish goals, plan tasks, and meet objectives.
- An ability to develop and conduct appropriate experimentation, analyze and interpret data, and use engineering judgment to draw conclusions.
About the School
With more than 100 student life campus organizations and more than 600 students competing in club and intramural sports, at High Point University, you won’t just be asked to question the world around ... Read More