Modern construction projects are known for their complexity in design and speed of execution. They require significant utilization of resources such as materials, manpower, equipment, and finance. Most of the projects are performed under conditions of scarcity of resources and suffers from uncertainty in their supply. Work delays will result in increased costs since there is an intricate time-cost relationship for every project. The need for proper planning and management of construction can never be over-emphasized.
The Bachelor of Science in Construction curriculum is designed to provide a solid academic base and professional expertise in the discipline of construction management and to critically address the present and evolving needs of the construction industry. In order to perform successfully in the construction industry, students must develop an understanding of the technical aspects of construction while applying construction management practices and tools to maintain control and provide informed optimal decisions. The programme focuses on the understanding of construction technology, construction management, and production management processes. The programme also addresses the generic skills and capabilities necessary to compete in the employment market.
The programme addresses a combination of engineering technology, construction techniques, and management. It is designed to prepare graduates for managerial positions in the construction industry. At a personal level, the programme will inculcate professional and ethical approach that will foster the graduates’ personal development, self-respect and career aspirations.
- Ability to acquire knowledge and understanding of construction management, construction technology, and related knowledge and practices.
- Ability to apply the techniques, skills, and tools of project management, construction technology, broad-based management to the practice of construction management.
- Ability to think critically and use a scientific approach to solve construction management related problems.
- Ability to communicate effectively with confidence orally, visually and in written form.
- Ability to establish responsible interpersonal and intrapersonal relationship with good team working spirit.
- Ability to apply high ethical and moral standards in professional practices and social interaction.
- Ability to seek information and accept new ideas, and learn independently.
- Ability to use knowledge and managerial skills to identify potential business opportunities.
- Ability to demonstrate leadership skills and pro-activeness
About the School
In the early years of its establishment, Universiti Teknologi Malaysia, School of Professional and Continuing Education (UTMSPACE) offered professional development programs such as short courses, semi ... Read More