Computer and Information Science at Messiah College
If thinking creatively and critically to solve complex problems excites you, and you enjoy just working with technology, then Messiah College’s computer and information science major might be right for you.
The demand for quantitative, technical thinkers who have a computer and information science degree is strong and will continue to grow. In the Bachelor of Science in computer and information science major, you take classes in areas such as computer programming, databases, systems analysis and design applications to develop the technical skills you need to secure a job in the computer and information science industry.
After taking those core courses, you can choose concentrations in business information systems, computer science, software development or web development.
Computer and information science major distinctives
As a computer and information science major at Messiah College, you will:
- Complete a strong common core of courses in foundational information sciences
- Choose a concentration in Business Information Systems, Computer Science, Software Development, or Web Management
- Conduct projects for national and international organizations with Messiah College’s Collaboratory for Strategic Partnerships and Applied Research
- Have access to a dedicated software studio where you can work on special projects, experiment with different operating systems, software and hardware and networking devices.
- Compete to participate in a National Science Foundation summer research program
- Have the opportunity to join a student programming team. In the past, our student programming teams have qualified for and competed in International Collegiate Programming Contests in Warsaw, Poland in 2012, and in Marrakesh, Morroco in 2015.
Career options for computer and information science majors
As a graduate of the computer and information science program, students are equipped to secure positions in areas such as:
- Graduate school
Internship and research opportunities for computer and information science majors
Messiah’s nationally recognized Internship Center helps place students in a variety of computer and information science internships. Some examples include:
- IBM Corporation
- ADT Data Systems, Inc.
- PNC Bank
- Naval Supply Information Systems Activity
- Rite Aid Corporation
- Scientific Applications International Corporation
Discover how your Christian faith and interest in computing will work hand-in-hand in your future career in computer and information science. And at Messiah, a top-ranked Christian college, your professors and our state-of-the-art facilities will also encourage and support the technology research, experimentation, and creative problem solving you’ll need to compete for a successful career as a software developer, systems analyst, programmer, network administrator, database manager, financial analyst, web developer, computer security specialist and more.
Messiah College offers several scholarships including the Provost’s and College Honors Programs Scholarships each with different academic requirements and deadlines. We must receive all application materials by January 15th for highest scholarship consideration.
International citizens may be awarded additional financial aid on a case-by-case basis using the information provided on the International Student Scholarship Application (ISSA). The link to the ISSA form is emailed to students along with their admissions decision letter. That means the sooner the admissions process is completed, the sooner students can apply for financial aid and receive a package.
After subtracting academic scholarship and financial aid monies, international students pay between US$20,000-$30,000 each year for four years. The U.S. Embassy will deny student visa requests if the student cannot show supporting financial documents to pay this amount for college expenses. This is a government rule, not college rule.
We can accept your application, official transcript and test score at any time during the year. You must select which term you would be entering. There are two intakes during each academic year - in late August for our Fall term, and late January for our Spring term.
About the School
Messiah College is a nationally ranked, private Christian college with a student body of 3,305 undergraduate and graduate students. Located in Mechanicsburg, Pa., Messiah is just 12 miles from the sta ... Read More