Studying for a computer engineering degree at A.U.S. can prove to be an extremely rewarding experience for a student.
Our department is committed to excellence in teaching and quality research, and its highly qualified faculty members hold terminal degrees from some of the world's most prestigious universities as well as work experience with leading industrial firms.
Throughout the course, you will be prepared for a wide range of technical positions in business and government service, research, development and higher education.
As part of the 140-credit program, which is accredited both by the UAE Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research and by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of A.B.E.T. in the United States, you'll be focusing on major areas in computer engineering: computer architecture and design, computer networks, databases, software engineering and computer applications in industry.
This internationally accredited computer engineering degree program also includes university requirements and core requirements for all students. Additionally, technical and free elective courses must be completed. A summer internship experience at a national or international establishment is an essential part of the course, as is a senior project accomplished over two semesters.
The mission of the computer engineering program at A.U.S. is to educate students in the principles and modern practices of computer engineering, to prepare students to pursue a wide range of computer engineering careers and to generate new knowledge by the pursuit of research in selected areas of computer engineering.
Program Educational Objectives
The objectives of the computer engineering program are to produce graduates who will:
- have successful careers as computer engineers and become effective communicators, team members and leaders in industry and public sectors
- continue their professional development through continuing education and advanced studies
- be engaged in the global, ethical and social aspects of the profession and have a positive impact on local, regional and global communities
Upon graduation, an A.U.S. graduate in computer engineering should demonstrate:
- an ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science, and engineering
- an ability to design and conduct experiments as well as to analyze and interpret data
- an ability to design a system, component or process to meet desired needs within realistic constraints such as economic, environmental, social, political, ethical, health and safety, manufacturability and sustainability
- an ability to function on multidisciplinary teams
- an ability to identify, formulate and solve engineering problems
- an understanding of professional and ethical responsibility
- an ability to communicate effectively
- the broad education necessary to understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global, economic, environmental and societal context
- a recognition of the need for and an ability to engage in lifelong learning
- a knowledge of contemporary issues
- an ability to use the techniques, skills and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice
Enrollment and Graduation Data
During the Academic Year 2013-2016, the computer engineering program reported BS degree enrollment: FTE students
- Fall 2013 162
- Fall 2014 190
- Fall 2015 198
- Fall 2016 228
BS degrees conferred:
- Academic Year 2013 - 2014 17
- Academic Year 2014 - 2015 25
- Academic Year 2015 - 2016 21
About the School
American University of Sharjah is an independent, not-for-profit coeducational institution, based consciously upon American institutions of higher education. The university is a leading comprehensive ... Read More