The Computer Engineering program provides students with the software, hardware and electronics engineering skills required to design, deliver and maintain efficient and effective computing systems. The program develops practical skills through extensive project work, covering computing, electronics, and embedded systems, as well as a firm foundation in the principles and theory of Computer Engineering.
Telecommunications have been one of the fastest growing sectors across the world, both in terms of technology and market usage. To start with, in Europe we have seen during the last 20 years a tremendous uprising in the usage of wireless-phone technology. Furthermore, the US, has experienced an explosive expansion of Wi-Fi systems that have conquered the wireless data market due to the high laptop computer and smart phone usage. Cyprus has also been part of this fast growing sector with a constant growing demand in areas such as Satellite Communications, Marine Communications, Search and Rescue Communications, intra- and inter-system communications, remote sensing etc. The Concentration in Telecommunications aims to prepare students for a career as practicing engineers in the area of Telecommunications.
Data and Computer Networking
Data and Computer Networking is one of the fastest growing sectors across the world, both in terms of technology and market usage. The advent of the Internet and Internetworking during the past 25 years has brought a tremendous uprising in the usage of data and computer networking. Data and Computer Networking is vital of any modern-day organization and is still evolving bringing the smartphone and ubiquitous computing revolution. The Concentration in Data and Computer Networking will equip the students with basic and advanced skills in the area of wired and wireless communications for a successful career in the sector.
Recognition by ETEK
The European University Cyprus “Computer Engineering” course is recognized by the Technical Chamber of Cyprus (ETEK).
Objectives & Outcomes
- to develop the student’s capacity to think, write and speak effectively and creatively
- to develop an appreciation of and respect for social, moral, and ethical values as the foundation of one’s relationship to others and one’s responsibilities to the community;
- to develop the student’s analytical, decision-making and communication competencies together with those qualities of self-reliance, responsibility, integrity and self-awareness which will promote personal achievement and contribution to organizations;
- to build breadth of perspective through the general education requirements and provide sufficient specialization to meet basic professional and career requirements;
- to provide the student with the necessary requirements for academic and/or career advancement.
- To prepare students for a lifetime career in Computing by establishing a foundation for lifelong learning and development
- To provide students with a foundation in Computers in general and Computer Engineering in particular;
- To prepare students for careers in industry, government and various institutions;
- To enable students to respond positively and effectively to the role that the Computer Engineer fulfills in the design, installation and maintenance of computer systems;
- To center attention on the skills and knowledge required by the profession of Computer Science/Engineering and to help students acquire knowledge and develop skills in a systematic way;
- To assist the students in developing leadership abilities which can be used in reaching solutions to problems of computer science/engineering.
On successful completion of this program it is expected that students will:
- have detailed knowledge and understanding of essential facts, concepts, principles, and theories relating to Computer Engineering and software and hardware applications.
- be able to use such knowledge for the design, construction, implementation, and maintenance of software and hardware components of modern computing systems and computer-controlled equipment.
- appreciate the importance of practicing as professionals, and having the breadth and depth of knowledge expected of a practicing engineer.
- be able to use oral and writing skills in a variety of contexts - both inside and outside of computer engineering courses.
- have a good understanding of the important relationship between theory and practice through their exposure to the laboratory part of the course.
- appreciate the importance of understanding the relevant professional, ethical, and legal issues related to the work of a Computer Engineer.
- appreciate the importance of team activity and the strengths that can be derived from this.
- be able to address a significant problem in computer engineering, and demonstrate the ability to deploy an appropriate selection of tools and techniques, as well as a disciplined approach, in arriving at a solution of the problem. This will be achieved through the project work of the course.
Systems Engineering, Network Design Engineering, Hardware Support, Hardware Service Engineering.