The 'Civil & Environmental Engineering' Program covers all theoretical and practical knowledge which is necessary for the analysis, design, construction, and management of technical projects, systems, and critical infrastructure. These activities are directly linked to the urban, regional, agricultural, transportation, and energy development of modern societies. The ‘Civil & Environmental Engineering’ Program also covers all theoretical and practical knowledge which is necessary for the environmental and sustainable development of modern societies, as well as the tackling of either traditional extreme events and risks (earthquakes, fires etc. ), or extreme events and risks which occur within the context of climate change (droughts, floods, etc.)
Objectives & Outcomes
- Provision of education leading to an academic degree, namely a Bachelor of Science in Civil & Environmental Engineering.
- Development of the student’s capacity to think, write and speak effectively and creatively.
- Development of student’s capacity to plan, analyze and design Civil and Environmental Engineering projects.
- Development of students' capacity to supervise and manage Civil Engineering construction projects.
- Development of student’s analytical, design and decision-making competences to perform Environmental Impact Assessment Studies.
- Building breadth of perspective through the general education requirements and provide sufficient specialization to meet basic professional and career requirements
- Provision of the necessary requirements for academic and/or career advancement
- Preparation of students for a lifetime career in Civil and Environmental Engineering by establishing a foundation for life-long learning and development
- Provision of a strong foundation in Engineering in general and Civil and Environmental Engineering in particular
- Preparation of students for careers in the private sector, government and various institutions.
- Ability to target and troubleshoot engineering problems and to identify the requirements necessary for the solution
- Ability to design and conduct experiments for problem solving and to interpret obtained experimental data
- Ability to evaluate alternate approaches, procedures and tradeoffs in conjunction with engineering problems
- Ability to design, implement and evaluate a system or process to meet specific requirements
- Ability to conduct leadership and to work in teams with effective communication. Understanding of the various roles in a team and the contribution to accomplish a task
- Provision of communication knowledge and skills both written and oral to document work in reports and present results
- Understanding of the global need to engage in continuous technological development
Upon successful completion of this program, the students should be able to:
- Recognize essential facts, concepts, principles and theories relating to Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Address a significant problem and deploy an appropriate selection of tools and techniques, as well as a disciplined approach, in arriving at a solution of the problem.
- Deploy oral and writing skills in a variety of contexts - both inside and outside of Civil and Environmental Engineering courses
- Appreciate the importance of practicing as professionals and having the breadth and depth of knowledge expected of a practicing engineer
- Recognize the important relationship between theory and practice through their exposure to the laboratory part of the course
- Appreciate the relevant professional, ethical and legal issues related to the work of a Civil and Environmental Engineer
- Appreciate the importance of team activity and the strengths that can be derived from this
- Demonstrate ability to conduct in-depth research, both individually as well as in teams, in a specific Civil and Environmental Engineering area.
Civil Engineer, Construction Manager and Engineer, Geotechnical Engineer, Hydraulic Engineer, Transportation Engineer, Road and Traffic Manager, Environmental Engineer, Water Resources Manager and Engineer, Education.
About the School
European University Cyprus is actively engaged with local, regional and global partners to promote opportunities for long-term strategic research partnerships and innovative programs of study.