Civil and Environmental Engineering is a broad field of engineering that deals with planning, design, construction, and maintenance of structures, bridges, and public works as they relate to the earth, water, and air, or civilization and their processes. Civil Engineering profession dominates every aspect of our life in one way or the other. The current economic prosperity in the UAE is based, to a great extent, on the excellent infrastructure and civic works developed by Civil Engineers. Civil Engineering is the oldest engineering discipline after Military Engineering. It deals with structures, bridges, construction management, highways, traffic, geotechnical, water supply and distribution networks, sewer, and disaster mitigation. Environmental Engineering focuses on the quality and sustainability of the three main environmental elements; soil, water, and air. The Department is keen to always provide the highest possible quality of higher education, scientific research, and community service. The Civil Engineering undergraduate program in the College of Engineering at the United Arab Emirates University is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET.
- Be committed to ethical standards, workplace safety measures and develop a high level of awareness of social, economic, and environmental issues relevant to the civil engineering profession.
- Successfully deal with real-life civil engineering problems and achieve practical, effective and optimum solutions based on sound science and engineering knowledge.
- Efficiently design, manage, execute and/or evaluate a civil engineering system/component to satisfy client needs per design specifications and/or requirements.
- Effectively use modern engineering tools and technical communication in different aspects of professional practices.
- Develop their knowledge, creativity and leadership and skills to cope with the rapidly evolving technologies.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Identify, formulate, and solve complex civil engineering problems by applying principles of engineering, science, and mathematics.
- Apply engineering design to produce solutions that meet specified needs with consideration of public health, safety, and welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental, and economic factors.
- Communicate effectively with a range of audiences.
- Recognize ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations and make informed judgments, which must consider the impact of civil engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts.
- Function effectively on a team whose members together provide leadership, create a collaborative and inclusive environment, establish goals, plan tasks, and meet objectives.
- Develop and conduct appropriate experimentation, analyze and interpret data, and use engineering judgment to draw conclusions.
- Acquire and apply new knowledge as needed, using appropriate learning strategies.
About the School
The United Arab Emirates University (UAEU) is a comprehensive, research-intensive university enrolling approximately 13,900 students, with more than 900 faculty and 65,000 alumni holding key positions ... Read More