Business analysts are needed in nearly every industry. The Business Analytics major at the Shields School of Business teaches students how to use methods, tools, and software to transform data into information. The curriculum focuses on building skills and expertise in the areas of programming, statistics, data management, and data transformation and visualization.
Top 4 reasons to pursue a degree in Business Analytics at SFU:
- "Almost all jobs will touch data in some way" according to Tableau's “The State of Data Education”. With the widespread use of technological innovations, our society generates an ever-increasing amount of data. Organizations of all types are increasingly searching for ways to leverage this new treasure trove of information.
- Business Analytics paired with other degrees increases marketability. Shields allows you to achieve two degrees in just four years. Because analyzing data is a highly desired skill in all disciplines of business, adding a double major in Business Analytics to any other business major increases the degree's value and provides you an edge in every job market.
- Analytics provides tools that can turn data into useful information. Data is often used to create new understanding, drive decisions, and plan strategic direction. Business executives ask for data-driven reviews of departments, programs, products, and people.
- Nearly every industry relies on analytics to grow and succeed. Manufacturing professionals use data analytics to identify inefficiencies in routes, methods, and processes. Entertainment and retail shopping services use analytics to provide real-time, tailored recommendations. Law enforcement analyzes trends in crime to deploy assets more effectively.
Analytics B.S. + MBA
*Five-year Business Analytics to MBA Program, B.S.
Students who wish to also complete their MBA can choose the "Five-Year Fast-Track" curriculum and achieve both an undergraduate Business Analytics B.S. and an MBA in five years.
According to an October 2017 LinkedIn report, both “statistical analysis and data mining” and “data presentation” are among the top 10 skills sought by potential employers globally. Further, the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics ranks the professions of “statistician” and “operations research analyst” among its top 20 fastest growing professions.
Popular career opportunities for Business Analytics majors:
- Management Analyst/Consultant
- Data Scientist
- Big Data Analytics Specialist
- Research Analyst
- Manager of Services or Manufacturing Operations
- Data Analyst
- Project Manager
- Supply Chain Manager
- Market Research Analyst
Like all of the majors in the Shields School of Business, the Business Analytics curriculum is built upon a strong foundation of business fundamental coursework in the domains of accounting, economics, finance, marketing, and management. Along with completing coursework in the traditional foundational domains, business analytics students will develop competencies in the art and science of data analytics. Specifically, students in this program will complete courses to build skills and expertise in the areas of programming, statistics, data management, and data transformation and visualization.
Undergraduate Application Process & Requirements
At Saint Francis, you’re more than just a number -- even as soon as we receive your application. We evaluate you as a whole individual, not merely select parts, such as GPA or test scores. We look at how you will contribute to our academic community, the strength of your coursework, extracurricular interests, and unique talents.
Everything you need to start your application can be found here! Detailed instructions, application components, and deadlines.
Four Easy Steps
- Step 1: Create a username and password. This will make it easy to save your application, and let you register for SFU events all in one place. P.S. Bookmark the SFU Application site while you're at it!
- Step 2: Check your email. You should receive a link to click to confirm your new login.
Step 3: Fill out an application. First-time students may apply anytime, usually after August 1 entering their senior year. To receive full consideration for admission and merit scholarships, it is recommended that students submit a completed application by May 1st of their senior year.
- The undergraduate application for admission operates under a rolling admission policy except for the Physician Assistant Science program, which has a Priority Application Date of November 15th. The Occupational Therapy and Physical Therapy program has a Priority Application Date of January 15th.
- Step 4: View your "Checklist" for additional requirements.
Official High School Transcripts
Submit your official high school transcript showing work completed through your junior year in addition to a copy your senior class schedule. All applicants should submit mid-year grades from their senior year when available.
This can be sent:
- From your high school to
- Saint Francis University
- Office of Admissions
- 169 Lakeview Drive
- PO Box 600
- Loretto PA 15940
- Through a secure electronic document system transfer such as Parchment.
Applicants are required to submit scores from either the SAT I or ACT. Use the codes below to have your official scores sent directly to SFU.
- SAT code #2797
- ACT code #3682
A writing sample is required for Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy, and Physician Assistant Science majors. Please complete an essay explaining (minimum 250 words) your interest in the academic program for which you are applying. Feel free to highlight any experiences you have that demonstrate your interest in the chosen field of study.
About the School
Saint Francis University is one of the oldest Catholic universities in the country, and the oldest celebrating Franciscan values. Our scenic campus sits on a mountain top in Loretto, Pennsylvania, nea ... Read More