The Sports & Recreation Management concentration consists of five upper-level courses that offer you insight into topics including:
- The structure of professional and amateur sports teams and governing bodies.
- Current legal and regulatory issues in sports.
- Budgeting, marketing, and operations management for sporting events, facilities, and teams.
This program includes a hands-on practicum that gives you the opportunity to set up and manage a sporting event.
About the Program
This program prepares students for career paths and duties as:
- Parks and Recreation Worker – Design and lead recreational and leisure activities for volunteer agencies as well as public and private sector organizations providing recreational facilities.
- Meeting, Convention, and Event Planner – Coordinate all aspects of events and professional meetings.
- Marketing Manager – Plan, direct, or coordinate marketing plans and programs to identify and capitalize on market opportunities.
- General Manager – Plan, direct, and organize the operations of a public or private sector organization to achieve operational goals.
Salem offers accelerated undergraduate and graduate programs of study with continuous enrollment via distance education or on-ground at our Salem, West Virginia campus. Courses are delivered in a monthly format (4-weeks) and completed on ground, online, or through a blended approach that uses both delivery methods. Online courses are structured to work within the constraints of full-time employment, allowing you to earn your degree with minimum disruption to your busy schedule. Traditional on ground programs of study are available for campus residents and commuter students.
- PED418 Organization and Admin. of Phys. Ed. and Sports
- SMG210 Principles of Sports Management
- SMG230 Governance and Ethics in Sports
- SMG340 Facilities and Event Management
- SMG380 Legal Aspects of Sports
Admission to Salem is open to all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, creed, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, or ability/disability. Anyone wishing to attend Salem can obtain the necessary application from the Office of Admissions or online from our website at www.salemu.edu. The completed application should be submitted to the Office of Admissions at the earliest possible date. A nonrefundable application fee is required of all applicants. The University admits students on a rolling, monthly start basis. Acceptance is within the discretion of Salem International University; some programs have additional admissions requirements.
About the School
Established in 1888 as Salem College, Salem University has a tradition of academic excellence and innovation. The beautiful 100-acre campus is nestled in the Appalachian mountains of West Virginia. Th ... Read More