Advances in science have provided us with unprecedented opportunities to understand life at the microscopic and atomic level and have helped us to understand both the microscopic and macroscopic level of our world and how we influence it.
Students in our Bachelor of Science in Biology program receive a broad-based, rigorous education in many areas of biology that are increasingly important and relevant to our world today. These include environmental biology and protection, ecosystems management and species conservation, physiology, microbiology, molecular biology, genetics, health research, immunology, and teaching.
Our program aims to encapsulate the best of both theoretical as well as practical instruction. It seeks to:
- provide students with an integrated knowledge of contemporary principles and applications of biology that will prepare them for advanced degrees and careers in teaching, research, consulting and business
- provide a high-quality, laboratory-rich learning environment where students will learn proper laboratory protocols, plan and conduct experiments in various areas of biology, practice the scientific method, analyze data, and reach logical and reasonable conclusions
- provide opportunities for interested and qualified students to participate in meaningful research projects of their own under the guidance of the biology faculty
- provide pre-professional education and training for students who wish to pursue careers in related fields such as medicine, genetic engineering, biotechnology and research
- maintain a dynamic curriculum that reflects the needs of a changing world
- foster motivation and opportunities for lifelong learning
We sincerely believe that upon graduation from our program, our students will be able to:
- participate effectively in practical, experience-based learning, through conferences, field experiences, workshops and independent research projects
- apply technologies and become proficient in the use of modern instrumentation
- identify and carry out thoughtful approaches to biology-related problems, including ethical issues and biological threats to the environment
- define simple research tasks, carry them out and use appropriate statistical analysis in the treatment of data
- develop competence in critical thinking, communications, teamwork, information technology and adaptation to change
- produce written and oral reports in the style most commonly used in scientific literature
- demonstrate knowledge of the fundamentals of various molecular, cell and ecological techniques, instruments, and equipment
Apart from pursuing graduate work at some of the leading universities around the world, our graduates have found success in a wide variety of fields including: genetic and immunology research; human genetics counseling; agriculture; horticulture; soil science; marine aquaculture; fisheries; forestry; science education and teaching at all levels; scientific journalism; veterinary medicine; drug and biotechnology; ecosystems management; conservation law enforcement; bioinformatics database companies; pharmaceutical sales and production; university and hospital research centers; natural history museums; nature parks and zoological gardens; government wildlife management; centers for disease control; epidemiology; virology; food testing; public health; and medical and blood testing laboratories.
About the School
American University of Sharjah is an independent, not-for-profit coeducational institution, based consciously upon American institutions of higher education. The university is a leading comprehensive ... Read More