European University Cyprus Accounting program is internationally accredited, providing students with the skills and knowledge required of professionals working in a globalized industry. Students majoring in Accounting at European University Cyprus may obtain exemptions from a number of examinations required to qualify with the following leading UK professional bodies:
- The Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA)
- The Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW)
- The Association of International Accountants (AIA)
- Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA)
Exemptions from ACCA & ICAEW
Graduates from European University Cyprus Bachelor of Business Administration with specialization in Accounting may be granted exemption for 9 out of the 14 subjects of the ACCA (Association of Certified Chartered Accountants) and for 12 out of the 15 subjects of the ICAEW (Association of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales).
Graduates are exempt up to 12 papers of the Association of International Accountants (AIA) for their professional degrees.
Objectives & Outcomes
- to develop the student’s capacity to think, write and speak effectively and creatively
- to develop an appreciation of and respect for social, moral, and ethical values as the foundation of one’s relationship to others and one’s responsibilities to community and country;
- to develop the student’s analytical, decision-making and communication competencies together with those qualities of self-reliance, responsibility, integrity and self-awareness which will promote personal achievement and contribution to organizations;
- to build breadth of perspective through the general education requirements and provide sufficient specialization to meet basic professional and career requirements;
- to provide the student with the basic requirements for academic and/or career advancement.
- To provide students with a foundation in Accounting.
- To prepare students for careers in industry, accounting, government and various institutions.
- To enable students to respond positively and effectively to the role that the accountant fulfils in the reporting and analysis of financial data.
- To center attention on the skills and knowledge required by the profession of Accounting and to help students acquire knowledge and develop skills in a systematic way.
- To assist the students in developing leadership capabilities, which can be used in reaching solutions to problems of Accounting.
- Demonstrate their ability to communicate effectively in business situations through speaking, writing, and by use of electronic media.
- Demonstrate their ability to build teams and work effectively within them.
- Demonstrate awareness and capability of analysis of environmental (economic, social, political, legal, and ethical) trends and their impact on individuals and businesses.
- Describe the application of manual and computer-based quantitative and qualitative tools and methodologies in identifying and solving problems and making decisions in business situations.
- Critically evaluate and apply concepts, techniques, strategies, and theories from any appropriate discipline in business contexts.
- Be aware of the regulatory environment and professional bodies that impact the accounting profession
- Appreciate and demonstrate the capacity to apply International Standards and practices
- Demonstrate the use of current accepted technical language of accounting and accounting practice internationally
- Recognize the limitations and uncertainties of practice and alternatives offered, within the discipline of accounting
- Understand and apply accepted techniques to the recording of business transactions and the preparation of financial statements
- Appraise the performance and financial situation of organizations
- Select and apply management accounting techniques to practical situations
- Critically evaluate contemporary theories and empirical evidence in accounting
- Have the opportunity to complete the degree as part-qualified Chartered Certified Accountants arising from the significantly greater degree recognition/credit afforded to the degree programme by the Institute of Chartered Certified Accountants
Accountant, Auditor, Internal Auditor, Corporate Accountant, Management Consultant, Investment Banker.
Careers & Employment
Description of Profession
A graduate in Accounting usually deals with bookkeeping, payments and payroll, auditing, management, financial planning, cost accounting and consulting services. Graduates in accounting with few years’ experience are able to deal with a company’s financial resources in the capacity of CFO or other similar position. Additionally, the need for specialized knowledge in areas such as pricing, taxation, computerized accounting systems contributes to employability in this occupation.
- Strong interpersonal & communication skills
- Leadership skills
- Software knowledge: SAP, SAGE
- Analytical skills, critical thinking
- problem-solving skills
Sectors of Employment
- Accounting / Auditing
- Political Parties
- Trade Unions
- Auditor (Internal/External)
- Financial Controller / CFO
- Corporate Accountant Management Consultant
- Mergers and Acquisitions Consultant
- Investment Banker
- Tax Officer
ACCA or ACA is required by most Audit Firms. You need to complete 3 years of working experience to become qualified.
- An MBA combined with an ACCA or a Bachelor in Accounting will enable you to target Managerial positions related to Accounting
- A Ph.D. can add value to the existing degree and can be used as a powerful tool for people who want to have an academic career
EUC Internship Program
The Career Center Internship Program enables third and fourth year students with high academic achievement to work for three months in positions corresponding their studies. The program enriches the curriculum of each participant, after acquiring work experience and a Personal Assessment report of the company the internee was placed. Some of the companies that recruited accounting students are:
- Abacus Ltd
- AC Nielsen
- Airtrans Group Ltd
- Alico AIG Life
- Antony Ashioties & Co
- Aspen Trust
- Atlantis Consulting
- BKR Damianou & Partners
- Carob Mill Ltd
- Cyprus Trading Corporation Limited
- Ernst & Young (Cyprus)
- FBME BANK LTD (Federal Bank of the Middle East Ltd)
- Infocredit Group
- Island Oil Ltd
- John Georgiades & Co
- KPMG Metaxas, Loizides, Syrimis
- Lanitis E.C. Holdings Ltd
- Lanitis Freen Energy Group Ltd
- Liberty Life Insurance Company
- N.P. Lanitis Ltd
- Netymology Ltd.
- PHS Hadjizacharias & Co Ltd
- PriceWaterhouseCoopers Ltd.
- TFI Markets
- Thomson Reuters
Job Search Engines
- EUC Career Office Facebook Page
- Eures Cyprus
- Advance Career
- GRS – Global Recruitment Solutions
- Power Image
- WorkForce Cyprus
- RMS Recruitment Management Services
- Skai Consultancy Ltd
About the School
European University Cyprus is actively engaged with local, regional and global partners to promote opportunities for long-term strategic research partnerships and innovative programs of study.