Swirl, sniff, sip, spit and study
Do you have dreams of growing your own grapes or producing some wine in Burgundy, Margaret River or the Granite Belt? Do you want to be an important part of an exciting and growing industry? Dream no more. USQ’s Bachelor of Science (Wine Science) is the only degree of its type in Northern Australia and it will not disappoint.
Utilising a purpose-built $8.5 million education and training facility, the Queensland College of Wine Tourism, this degree offers on-site training in commercial vineyards, wineries, winery laboratories, and sensory analysis in association with regional wine shows. Who could resist a residential school in the heart of one of Australia’s burgeoning wine districts? Highly applied and analytical, the course is suitable for school leavers, international students, producers and those of you looking for a career change.
It’s your choice. As a graduate of the Bachelor of Science (Wine Science), you will have the skills to work in the vineyard, the winery or both. There are a variety of exciting opportunities to be found in the broader agricultural sciences that support our grape and wine producers. Those of you looking to launch a career in the wine business or appraisal are also catered for, with the option to select a second major in biology or environmental management and elective subjects in business, weather and climate change - enhancing your employability.
Courses to be studied
- Core courses (4 units)
- plus 1 x first 8-unit major (8 units)
- plus 1 x second 8-unit major plus 4 x approved courses
- or 12 x approved courses (12 units)
How much will it cost?
Approximate annual costs for your first year of study (8 units) in this program are:
Study Mode/ Cost
- Commonwealth supported: AUD 9352
- Domestic full fee paying: AUD 21640
Loan to help you pay your fees
You may not have to pay your course (subject) fees upfront. HECS-HELP and FEE-HELP allow you to defer your fees until your income reaches a certain level.
You may also be eligible to receive financial support from Centrelink.
Scholarships and financial assistance
You may be able to apply for scholarships to help with your study costs.
- Subject pre-requisites: English (4, SA), Mathematics A (4, SA) or equivalent
- Recommended prior study: Mathematics B (4, SA) and one of Biology, Chemistry, Physics or Science21 or equivalent. If you do not have the recommended Mathematics B level for entry then you are recommended to undertake MAT1000 Mathematics Fundamentals as an elective course.
English Language Requirements
You are required to satisfy the applicable English language requirements. This program requires a minimum of IELTS 6.0 or equivalent.
If you do not meet the English language requirements you may apply to study a University-approved English language program.
A number of other pathways are also available if you haven't been able to study previously or don't meet the requirements for entry into your program of interest.
*Further admission information
An adjusted Selection Rank is a result of combining additional ranks through special entry schemes for admission.
Special entry schemes for admissions may help you get into the program of your choice by increasing your Selection Rank, through the allocation of additional ranks in certain circumstances.
How to apply
Applying directly to USQ:
- Semester 3, 2018 - applications close Monday 5 November, with semester 3 commencing on Monday 19 November 2018.
- Semester 1, 2019 - applications close Monday 18 February, with semester 1 commencing on Monday 25 February 2019.
- Semester 2, 2019 - applications close Monday 1 July, with semester 2 commencing on Monday 15 July 2019.
If you are applying via QTAC, you will need to check the QTAC closing dates.
Credit for previous study or work experience
You may be eligible for credit if you have previously studied or have relevant work experience. This will help to reduce the number of courses that you need to study to finish your program.
About the School
Are you thinking about studying in Australia? The University of Southern Queensland (USQ) prides itself on providing the best support possible to help you reach your study and career goals. USQ studen ... Read More