The programme is intended to:
- Provide students with a knowledge and understanding of the basic science that underpins biotechnology, including molecular biology and bioinformatics.
- Advance students’ knowledge of the science that is at the forefront of developments in biotechnology.
- Develop students’ practical skills including information technology skills, that will enable them to pursue careers in the biotechnology industry.
- Prepare students for employment, by developing transferable skills, including self-management and reflective practice, independence, communication, IT, numeracy, data analysis, interpersonal and teamwork skills, alongside an awareness of current issues within the taught programme.
- Develop an appreciation of the role of scientific research in the advancement of Biotechnology and to encourage an understanding of the potential economic, ethical, and political impacts of modern biotechnology on society.
Methods of Assessment
The modules will be assessed either by coursework, examinations or a combination of both appropriate to the module objectives.
Candidates who successfully complete all of the course requirements will be awarded the Bachelor of Science (Hons) Biotechnology by Northumbria University, UK. In addition, graduates from this programme are entitled to use the designatory title BSc (Hons) after their name.
- Skills for Applied Scientists
- Cell Biology and Genetics
- The Scope of Biotechnology
- Plant Biology
- Introductory Bioinformatics
- Principles of Immunology
- Cellular and Immunological Methods
- Biotechnology and Applied Biochemistry
- Food Biotechnology
- The Biology of Disease
- Bioinformatics and Molecular Biotechnology
- Metabolic Biochemistry
- Biotechniques and Practical Molecular Genetics
- Research Methods for Applied Science
- Analytical Methods and Applied Genetics
- Investigative Microbiology
- Plant Biotechnology
- Biological and Food Sciences Project
- Current Topics in Biotechnology
- Animal Biotechnology
- Applied Bioinformatics
Applicants must be of age 18 and above, and meet at least ONE of the following requirements:
- Diploma in Biomedical Science or Foundation Certificate in Biomedical Sciences (FCBS) awarded by MDIS;
- GCE 'A' Levels (Yr 1 Entry), Polytechnic Diploma or equivalent (Yr 2 Entry)
- GCE ‘A’ Level (minimum BBC or equivalent grades, with a B in Biology) in the science stream
Advanced Standing for subject exemptions may apply for part of the course for these applicants:
- Diploma holders in Biotechnology, Medical Technology or Biomedical Sciences
- Students without the FCBS or GCE ‘A’ Level (or equivalent) in science subjects may need to attend additional science tutorials
- Other equivalent qualifications may be considered on a case by case basis. Those who do not fit the above entry criteria are nevertheless encouraged to submit their academic transcripts for consideration.
About the School
The Management Development Institute of Singapore (MDIS), founded in 1956, is Singapore’s oldest not-for-profit professional institute for lifelong learning. MDIS has two main subsidiaries: Management ... Read More