Available Emphasis Areas:
- Instrumental - Emphasis
- Vocal - Emphasis
This degree provides interactive performance training in either voice or instrument. These emphases are backed by a rich variety of coursework in theory, ear training, music history, and musical genres. The emphasis in Voice requires a demonstration of proficiency in French, German, or Italian.
This program is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music (N.A.S.M.).
What Can I Do with a Bachelor of Music in Music Performance?
Can you see yourself on a stage receiving a standing ovation for your musical talent? It’s with good reason that music is called the universal language. For most of us, it’s a never-ending inspiration—the soundtrack of our lives. If you’re inspired to compose a life in music, then one of our programs could be the perfect prelude.
We provide a thriving environment for performance, study, creation, and work to help you develop into a well-rounded musician and equip you to become an accomplished performer. You will receive intensive private instruction with faculty musicians, plenty of performance experience, and strong academic preparation for traveling your musical path. The defining activity of your time in the School of Music will be performance. Through performance experience, you’ll develop poise and confidence and learn problem-solving skills transferable to other disciplines.
Note: If you want to major in Performance, you must apply and be accepted to the School of Music’s program in addition to being admitted to the university.
Career opportunities that might be pursued:
- Collegiate band
- Horn ensemble
- Jazz band
With further education, one of these paths is possible:
- Choir director
- Music therapist
- University professor
To receive a bachelor's degree at Northern Arizona University, you must complete at least 120 units of credit that minimally includes a major, the liberal studies requirements, and university requirements as listed below.
- All of Northern Arizona University's liberal studies, diversity, junior-level writing, and capstone requirements.
- All requirements for your specific academic plan(s).
- At least 30 units of upper-division courses, which may include transfer work.
- At least 30 units of coursework taken through Northern Arizona University, of which at least 18 must be upper-division courses (300-level or above). This requirement is not met by credit-by-exam, retro-credits, transfer coursework, etc.
- A cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0 on all work attempted at Northern Arizona University.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated January 9, 2018