Music in Education Intensive
Do you have strong educational and teaching skills and/or are you working as a music teacher? Have you completed an instrumental or vocal music degree program (Bachelor of Music)? If so, the two-year Music in Education program is the next step. This program leads to a teaching qualification for all levels of education, allowing you to use your own musical skills in a broader musical context. After graduation, you will be a Bachelor of Music in Education.
The curriculum of this degree course is a challenging compilation from the four-year curriculum of the regular Music in Education program. Depending on your experience and background, you may be granted exemptions for certain subjects and increase the number of options. The program is tailored to your individual situation. Education is provided both face-to-face and online. If you are not granted any exemptions, you will have two days of face-to-face instruction on Thursdays and Fridays, not including teacher training/work and independent study.
The subjects offered include teaching skills and media, educational theory, knowledge of art and culture, chord accompaniment, singing, choral training/conducting and ensemble playing. All this relies heavily on teaching practice or works in a relevant art-educational environment (education or art education).
An intake assessment is required to gain insight into your potential for development and eligibility for exemptions. This will take place on the dates of the regular entrance examinations in Spring.
- have a Bachelor's or Master's degree in music
- have an affinity with and basic skills in teaching and pedagogy
- have a good command of the Dutch language
- be motivated to work in general and art education
- have a healthy speaking voice and a moderately developed singing voice
- play a chord instrument
- have basic teaching skills and be capable of transferring his/her own knowledge and skills to others, and have sufficient reflection, communication, and basic teaching skills (empathy with the target group, language skills, being a good listener, use of body language, expression, an organization of teaching materials).
- be able to master and apply new knowledge and skills quickly, with regard to both motor and cognitive skills.
- have an 'enterprising' attitude. e.g. have some experience with working in an organization or leading children, teenagers or adults.
- possess and know how to use digital media (virtual learning environments, music software, social media, etc.).
Visit our Open Day and/or Taster Classes or contact Marc Rutten, Head of the Music in Education department.
- Duration: 2 years
- Price: € 2060
- Location: Maastricht
This school offers programs in:
Last updated May 7, 2018