If you love music and would like to earn a living as a musician, musical talent and live gigs will only get you so far. In today’s increasingly competitive and ever-changing music industry you need a fresh approach, professional support and real commitment.
LCCM is the only independent higher education college offering industry-led degrees covering a wide range of popular instruments and musical genres – including rock and pop, R&B, soul, reggae, jazz and blues, electronic, latin and world music. And with the unique opportunity to design your own course, combining a number of core and optional modules, our BMus in Music Performance & Production (Piano) is unlike any other music degree in the UK.
Primarily focused on instrumental practice and performance, our piano course will strengthen your existing technique and broader musical knowledge, whilst developing crucial collaborative and communication skills to help you sustain a long and rewarding life in music, whichever direction your career may take you.
So whether you want to be an in-demand session musician or pianist in a world famous rock band; if you want to be a producer, musical director or composer for film and TV, LCCM will help you master your musical ambitions. Click here to read our BMus in Music Performance and Production FAQ
LCCM’s BMus in Music Performance & Production (Piano) is the only music degree in the UK that is designed by you. Starting with a number of core modules, you then select additional subjects to suit your own musical interests.
For instance, you may choose to focus on performance with 1:1 piano lessons, or combine piano with a wider range of other subjects including production, music programming and a second instrument.
Centred on improving your technique and performance skills, as an LCCM piano degree student, you will enjoy:
- Performance workshops
- Instrumental classes
- 1:1 tutorials
All LCCM degree courses are built on a foundation of essential knowledge and principles. For guitar students, these include:
- Harmony and theory (years 1, 2 and 3): lectures in the theoretical principles of popular music (including ear training in years 1 and 2 and arrangers’ piano in year 1), leading to advanced practical arranging for Jazz and World Music;
- Composition, arranging and analysis (year 1): lectures cover arranging for rhythm section, horns and composition principles in popular music;
- Music in context (year 1): seminars explore 4 key periods in contemporary popular music;
- Career planning (year 2): seminars help you understand how to generate income from your music and musicianship.
Additional modules allow LCCM students to tailor their course to suit their individual needs.
Module choices available in year 1 are based on the result of your initial interview. These choices will then determine those available to you in years 2 and 3. Finally, modules chosen in years 2 and 3 will depend on your academic achievement in relevant preceding modules (and availability).
The full range of optional modules over LCCM’s three year guitar degree course are:
- Principal Instrument (piano)
- Theory in Practice (piano)
- Professional Performance (piano)
- Jazz Performance (piano)
- Second Instrument (bass, guitar, voice, piano, saxophone, trumpet, trombone)
- Music Programming
- Studio recording
- Composition, arranging and analysis
- Studio Alchemy
- Recording Act (Band Project)
- Audio Visual Synchronisation
- Musical Directing and Arranging
- Music Teaching
- Creative Entrepreneurship
- Independent Project
All students take four optional modules in year 1, four optional modules in year 2 and two optional modules in year 3.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated February 11, 2018