Wartburg College is an accredited, institutional member of the National Association of Schools of Music (NASM). Students completing the American Music Therapy Association (AMTA) approved music therapy degree program are eligible to sit for board certification by the Certification Board for Music Therapists (CBMT). Wartburg is the only private college in Iowa to offer the music therapy major. Completion of the Bachelor of Music Education or the Bachelor of Music Education/Music Therapy degree leads to licensure in education in the state of Iowa.
Degrees and Majors
The Bachelor of Music Education degree meets the requirements of the Iowa Department of Education for K-12 music certification. This entitles students to teach in the elementary general music classroom, or teach in a band, choir or orchestral setting at the middle school or high school level.
The Bachelor of Music Education/Music Therapy degree is offered for those who wish to qualify for K-12 licensure through the state department of education and as a Board-Certified Music Therapists through the Certification Board for Music Therapy. Coursework meets the requirements of the Iowa Department of Education for K-12 music licensure to include a semester of student teaching in fulfillment of the education license. Those in the degree program then also complete a six-month music therapy internship as a requirement established by the American Music Therapy Association prior to sitting for the board certification exam.
The Bachelor of Music in Music Therapy degree is offered for those who wish to complete the coursework aligned with the requirements set by the American Music Therapy Association to qualify for becoming a Board-Certified Music Therapist. A six-month internship post coursework is required before sitting for the board certification exam.
The Bachelor of Arts in Music degree provides you with a variety of career options in the music field. You may choose the general music major, which allows you to combine a music major with another major or minor field. Or you may choose the Church Music track, which combines coursework in music and religion to prepare you for leading music programs in churches or for further study in graduate school.
The Bachelor of Music in Performance degree prepares you for further study leading to professional performance, studio teaching, or work in church music.
Music Department Fast Facts
- Wartburg offers four-year majors/degrees. This means one year less tuition and one more year of salary when compared with a state university.
- The college offers the only B.A. in church music in Iowa.
- Wartburg is the only private college in Iowa with a music therapy degree.
- The music department boasts a 100 percent job/graduate school placement rate for ALL graduates.
- Wartburg is one of only three colleges in Iowa to be certified by NCATE (National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education).
- The college is the only Iowa school that offers ethnomusicology as an active part of the music curriculum.
- Music education students start field experience in their first year.
About the School
The liberal arts education you will receive at Wartburg allows you to not only gain the skills required from your chosen field of study, but also the critical thinking skills required to explore the e ... Read More