Bachelor of Fine Arts - Jewellery Design and Metalsmithing
The fields of Jewellery Design and Metalsmithing are experiencing a renaissance of diverse creative approaches. You will explore a wide variety of concepts and philosophies as you engage in critical discussions about content and form in order to create a new language of metal. The program offers a broadly based metals education including studies of art jewellery, holloware, product design, and metal business practice.
Design and technical projects emphasize problem-solving, conceptual development, and analytical thinking. From basic skills
development, you will go on to explore advanced technical procedures and develop your individual artistic practice.
Some graduates of NSCAD’s Jewellery Design and Metalsmithing program establish successful art jewellery studio practices, while others develop commercial jewellery businesses. Many have pursued graduate studies and have become writers, critics,
curators, and professors at colleges/ universities.
• Computer design stations with solid modeling programs for design development
• Five interconnected studios, with 40 large jewellery benches equipped with flexible shafts and torches
• Adjacent casting area with large programmable burnout kiln, centrifugal and vacuum casting, vulcanizer, steam cleaner and wax injector
• Polishing area with three polishing machines, ultrasonic cleaner and rotary tumbler, and vibratory tumbler
• Machine room with metal and wood band saws, scroll saw, grinder, belt sanders, bead blaster and sandblaster, and large drill press
• Ventilated chemical room for various surface treatments such as etching, patination, and powder coating
• Enamelling area with two kilns
• Electroplating and electroforming room
• Lathe room with one large lathe, two small lathes and milling machines
• Silversmithing studio equipped with various stakes and hammers, curve bench shears, English wheel, small slip rollers, 6" Deep draw hydraulic press dies, 50 tons and 20 tons hydraulic presses
Last updated January 20, 2018