The Bachelor of General Studies is a new academic programme offered by Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (UTM). The programme provides individuals with an opportunity to learn across five main areas. These include management, science, computing, technology and humanities, getting the best of higher education from all the faculties in UTM. Through a structured 4-year undergraduate curriculum, learners cultivate their lateral thinking to operate in a multidisciplinary environment. Therefore, this programme helps our undergraduates’ progress in government agencies and enterprise, pursuing their postgraduate studies as well as leading the change in industries, communities and societies.
With its seven faculties and over 29 schools, academies, and centres of excellence, students gain access to the best of talent and expertise in Johor Bahru campus. They will also be involved in active learning, which necessitates and helps those students who are taking individual roles in the learning process. This reflects on the connection between theory and practice within and across disciplines.
This special academic programme also offers flexibility for working professionals who are keen to upgrade and improve their skills, creating an excellent lifelong learning pathway.
Attributes of the UTM Bachelor of General Studies programme:
- Flexible learning fulfils the criteria of a curriculum that is ready for a future
- Student-oriented, in accordance with their own individual requirement
- A variety of courses, across the different field of study
- A dynamic and coherent curriculum
- Acquire vast areas of knowledge and skills
- Flexible Learning – Encouraging students to design their curriculum structure across different areas
- Student-oriented – In accordance with their own individual requirements
- Coherent Curriculum – Students are free to enrol into courses, relevant to their contemporary needs of the chosen area
- Academic and Career Advisor – Having one for students will ensure a personalised degree programme that will be formulated to fit their various individual career opportunities
- 21st Century Teaching and Learning – Graduates will be more progressive through their self-adaptation to knowledge and skills
What is the study mode?
The UTM Bachelor of General Studies programme is offered in both a full-time and part-time basis. Students attend lectures, complete assignments, and undergo periodical tests and end-of-semester examinations.
The total credit hours of the UTM Bachelor of General Studies programme are 130 credit hours. First, students have to enrol in 22 credits of university general courses and 30 credits of programme compulsory courses. Secondly, they need to fulfil 45 credits of general studies elective courses. Next, completing 27 credits of specialised elective courses, enrolling into various courses across all the faculties in UTM in accordance with their career needs. Finally, the students are required to accomplish 6 credits of industrial training for successful completion of a study course. An academic and career advisor will be assigned to each student to facilitate the development of a personalised curriculum structure throughout their study period.
- Pass STPM or equivalent with a minimum PNGK of 2.00 Grade C (NGMP 2.00) for General Studies; And Grade C (NGMP 2.00) for TWO (2) other Subjects; OR
- Pass STAM with a minimum grade of Jayyid Jiddan; OR
- MOE Matriculation/ UA Foundation/ US Foundation or Equivalent with a minimum of CGPA ≥ 2.00; OR
- Diploma or any other Equivalent Qualification Recognized by the Malaysian Government and Approved by the University Senate.
- Passed the Malaysian Certificate of Education (SPM/ Equivalent) with at least Credit in Bahasa Melayu/ Bahasa Malaysia OR
- Credit in Bahasa Melayu/ Bahasa Malaysia July Paper; AND
- Obtained at least Band 2 in Malaysian University English Test (MUET)
Career opportunities in various fields
- Big Data Analyst
- Smart Factories Analyst
- Forensic Scientist
- Islamic Business Strategist
- Digital Humanities Database Analyst
- Block Chain Management
- Industrial Psychologist
- Digital Marketing and Analytics
Programme compulsory courses
- Computer Literacy
- Philosophy of Knowledge
- Principle of Management
- Physics or Chemistry
- Creativity & Innovation
- Research Methodology
- National Integrity
- MMathematics& Statistics
General Studies Elective Courses and Specialized Elective Courses
Students are free to enrol into courses as guided by the Academic and Career Advisor
Prospective students can approach the UTM School of Professional and Continuing Education (UTMSPACE) to make enquiries or apply for the UTM Bachelor of General Studies programme. The students can also apply online through the UTMSPACE website.
The tuition fee for the UTM Bachelor of General Studies programme for Malaysians:
First Semester RM 9,770.00
(Registration RM 1,770 + UTM Service Charge RM 314 + Fees RM 7,686)
Subsequent Semester RM 8,000.00
(UTM Service Charge RM 314 + Fees RM 7,686)
*the total payment fees are excluding hostel fees
About the School
In the early years of its establishment, Universiti Teknologi Malaysia, School of Professional and Continuing Education (UTMSPACE) offered professional development programs such as short courses, semi ... Read More