Available Emphasis Areas:
- Motion Design - Emphasis
- Graphic Design - Emphasis
The Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in Visual Communication is designed to produce graduates who are skilled in using art, design, and technology to creatively communicate ideas and transform messages into visual communication. Through the rigorous coursework, students will develop skills in using aesthetic and conceptual judgment, color, type, symbols, digital images, multi-media, interactivity, motion graphics, photography, and project management to produce messages that clearly inform, effectively communicate brand experience, and persuade viewers.
What Can I Do with a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Visual Communication?
Do you like to solve problems, sketch, and create? Do you have an eye for detail? If images and visual technology delight and inspire you, then careers in the expanding universe of media are calling. The Visual Communication program can teach you to think critically and convey ideas with precision and impact. You will sharpen your creative thinking and analytical skills in the School of Communication's core studies while you boost your tech-savvy in cutting-edge laboratory and studio courses. Learn to use color, form, type, and symbols to craft powerful messages. You'll develop your personal voice while seeking a universal message in your work.
By harnessing aesthetic judgment with project management skills, you'll learn to persuade viewers and forcefully communicate your client's message. Our alumni have started successful independent design practices and work for some of the country's leading firms, including Body Glove, Yahoo! Games, Teva, and Nike.
Career opportunities that might be pursued:
- Advertising design
- Graphic design
- Experience / Interface design
- Interaction design
- Corporate media design
- Print production design
With further education, one of these paths is possible:
- Museum curator
- Art director
- Design manager
- Mobile designer
- Motion graphics designer
- Academic professional
- Content developer
- Web producer
To receive a bachelor's degree at Northern Arizona University, you must complete at least 120 units of credit that minimally includes a major, the liberal studies requirements, and university requirements as listed below.
- All of Northern Arizona University's liberal studies, diversity, junior-level writing, and capstone requirements.
- All requirements for your specific academic plan(s).
- At least 30 units of upper-division courses, which may include transfer work.
- At least 30 units of coursework taken through Northern Arizona University, of which at least 18 must be upper-division courses (300-level or above). This requirement is not met by credit-by-exam, retro-credits, transfer coursework, etc.
- A cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0 on all work attempted at Northern Arizona University.
About the School
Northern Arizona University is a public university offering undergraduate, graduate, and professional degrees of high quality and societal value. As a student, you are at the center of the NAU experi ... Read More