Bachelor of Fine Art in Performance and Choreography
In the Bachelor of Fine Art in Performance and Choreography, students are guided towards greater knowledge of their artistry, through a focus on the communicative, artistic, technical and physical aspects of the crafts of dance performance and dance choreography. Their craft-specific knowledge is simulated within a critical awareness and understanding of specific cultural, historical and present-day contexts within which dance performance and choreography are created, experienced and engaged/received globally, particularly in the Caribbean region. The programme also furnishes students with the essential knowledge and skills in the critical appraisal of dance and other areas of performing, written and visual arts and encourages them towards innovation in thought and artistic presentation.
- Minimum FIVE (5) CXC subjects with grades 1 to 3 (grade 3 after 1998) or minimum FIVE (5) G.C.E. ‘O’ Level with grades A to C.
- Be at least 17 years old at the time of admission.
- English Language at the CXC/G.C.E. Level (or equivalent) is compulsory for all applicants.
- SCHOOL OF DANCE AUDITION: Auditions are held twice per year, usually in June and July. Prospective students are required to attend one of these auditions. The audition will comprise:
- Three (3) class sessions of Modern Dance, Ballet, and Caribbean Traditional Folk Technique.
- A two (2) minute solo performance presentation in your strongest areas of dance performance.
- International applicants are required to send a videotape or DVD of their performance for assessment in NTSC format. DVD must include:
- A verbal introduction to name and country of origin.
- Reasons for wanting to pursue a performing arts programme at EMCVPA.
- Course choice (e.g. Bachelor of Fine Arts) and desired career path (e.g. teaching, performance).
- A three (3) minute solo presentation in your strongest areas of performance
- A demonstration of skills in at least two dance techniques (Modern or Ballet must be one). For each selected technique, provide 20-25 minutes of skills demonstration. Exercises should be kept short and simple so that the fundamental elements of the work may be observed.
- Include movement sequences applicable to the technique being featured.
- ENGLISH LANGUAGE REQUIREMENT: Applicants whose native language is not English must take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). Applicants can register for the TOEFL examinations at www.ets.org/toefl.
About the School
The Edna Manley College of the Visual and Performing Arts (EMCVPA) is the premier arts college in the English-speaking Caribbean whose mission is to enrich the aesthetic sensibilities and promote the ... Read More