Bachelor of Fine Arts - Film
The Film program at NSCAD is one of the few programs in Canada
where you can use actual film. You will have an opportunity to explore the practice, history, theory, and analysis of film production and film art. With an emphasis on collaboration and innovation, you will be encouraged to embrace all elements of film production, from the technical craft to narrative, experimental, and documentary approaches to your own unique creative vision. This program’s emphasis on one-on-one instruction enables you to study independent film production models that focus on the art of cinema.
You will take courses in editing, production, cinematography, acting, and sound. Advanced Film Studios form the backbone of the program and provide superb expertise. Art History courses will inform your studio development, and hands-on experience will prepare you professionally.
The program has recently added a Red One camera to their resources. This in-demand camera model is used constantly in the professional industry of Halifax for feature films, music videos, national commercials, and television series.
Graduates of NSCAD’s film program create award-winning films that are screened at international film festivals. Many works in the film industry advancing through various positions. Our graduates also pursue graduate studies and become critics, writers, and college/ university professors.
• Red Camera
• 25,000 sq ft, includes a 3,000 sq ft sound-stage with set construction facilities
• Super 16mm film cameras and 16mm Steinbeck editing suites
• Animation stand and Oxbury optical printer
• Cutting edge, fully digital HD workflow: file-based HD cameras with 35mm cinema lenses, all three major editing suites from
Avid, Adobe, and Apple
• Professional lighting and grip gear
• Double-walled sound recording booth, audio mixing room, and 2 auxiliary mixing stations
• Pro Audio gear, file-based field recorders
• Fully equipped student office with computer workstations that include script writing, budgeting, and scheduling software, plus
free laser printing and photocopying
• 2 HD screening rooms with surround sound, one with a reference quality projector
About the School
One of Canada’s oldest independent cultural institutions, NSCAD University continues to be regarded as a principal centre for education and research in visual culture in North America. Part of our app ... Read More