- Major: Mechanical Engineering
- Degree / Award Title: Bachelor of Engineering in Mechanical Engineering
- Offering Academic Unit: Department of Mechanical Engineering
- Mode of Study: Full-time
Aims of Major
The major aims to prepare students with a solid background of the required fundamental knowledge in engineering mechanics, materials engineering, mechanical product design, mechatronics, dynamics and controls, and thermal fluidics, so that they can serve and contribute to a broad range of mechanical engineering industries.
Intended Learning Outcomes of Major (MILOs)
Upon successful completion of this Major, students should be able to:
- Conceptualize, analyze, and apply mechanical entities to design discrete products with the required performance.
- Develop competency in core areas such as engineering design of materials, dynamics and control, embedded systems, automation engineering, and micro and nanotechnologies.
- Extend beyond core knowledge boundary in one or more synergistic discipline areas to enable them solving a broader range of practical problems in an integrated manner.
- Select and implement appropriate “process engineering” and “design for manufacture” solutions for efficient manufacturing of discrete products.
- Demonstrate critical thinking, independent research, qualitative and quantitative analysis capability, and communication skills required for mechanical engineering.
- Meet the core competency required for corporate membership of professional bodies, such as the Hong Kong Institute of Engineers (HKIE).
- For students with recognised Advanced Level Examinations or equivalent qualifications.
- For Associate Degree/Higher Diploma graduates admitted as senior-year intake students.
This major has been granted provisional accreditation by the Hong Kong Institution of Engineers (HKIE), a signatory member of the Washington Accord under which all members agree to recognise each other's accredited Engineering degree programmes.
Why is this Major Needed?
As mechanical engineers are irreplaceably important in our society, Mechanical Engineering represents a fundamental branch of engineering knowledge. To fulfil the rapid demands of expanding markets in the area of automation engineering, dynamical and control analysis, engineering design, and materials/product testing, our Bachelor of Engineering in Mechanical Engineering programme at City University of Hong Kong has been established in order to offer a comprehensive and dynamic curriculum which prepares students with analytical and quantitative skills to tackle scientific and engineering problems, independent and critical thinking to develop/enhance engineering products, and integrated creativity and expertise to generate novel product designs to support sustainable development of the industries.
- Motivated by the fact that the prospects for the development of the Mechanical Engineering industry are greatly expanding, the future manpower demands in the related Mechanical Engineering fields will be greatly increased.
- Since the establishment of the Closer Economic Partnership Arrangement (CEPA) policy back in 2006, original design manufacturing (ODM) of all the “made-in-HK” consumer products, which involves conceptual engineering design and product research and development, has become the key role of Hong Kong companies.
- In the coming years, it is expected that Hong Kong will have stronger needs in the Mechanical Engineering applications such as intelligent consumer products, improved product design and manufacturing, robotics and industrial automation, synthesis and testing of new materials, micro-devices and instrumentation for medical/healthcare purposes.
Objectives of the Major
The aim of the major of Mechanical Engineering is to prepare students with a solid background of the required fundamental knowledge in view of the great need in the industries. Our graduates are expected to serve and contribute to a broad range of mechanical engineering industries in their future careers, including chartered engineers, chief administrators/managers of technical teams, and technology consultants. Some of them can even choose to be entrepreneurs for their own start-up companies.
The objectives of the major are:
- To provide a systematic curriculum by combining education, research and development of innovative technology and enable students to tackle engineering problems in mechanical related areas efficiently and independently.
- To equip students with critical thinking, independent research, qualitative and quantitative analysis capacities. Students can perform high-impact and leading-edge research and development for the continuous advancements of both industrial and academic expertise.
- To prepare students for professional employment in areas such as engineering design of materials, dynamical and control analysis, automation engineering, and micro and nanotechnologies.
- To nurture students to contribute to the community and professional groups with both academic achievements and knowledge transferable products.
Our Bachelor degree programme on Mechanical Engineering was launched in view of the great need in the industries. Long-term careers of our graduates in the industries include qualified mechanical engineers, consumer product designers, automotive system designers, “heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC)” engineers, system automation engineers, chief administrators/managers of technical teams, and technology consultants. Graduates can also choose to further study in graduate schools for inventing state-of-the-art technologies. Some of them can even choose to be entrepreneurs for their own start-up companies.
Entrance Requirements and Admission Arrangements
Direct/non-JUPAS applicants are expected to have or to be close to having, Associate Degrees or Higher Diplomas with high grades or credit awards in Engineering-related disciplines.
While maintaining the major aspects of mechanical engineering knowledge (e.g. engineering mechanics, materials engineering, mechanical product design, mechatronics, dynamics and controls, and thermal fluids), this programme would focus on the following areas for the future needs of the society:
- Product design with comprehensive considerations in high levels of functionality (e.g. smart home and appliances) and the environment-friendly product design and manufacturing.
- Automation (with control algorithms, sensors and actuators) and system integration of machines ranging from consumer products, building facilities to transportation vehicles.
- Solid background in both conventional and emerging mechanical engineering techniques, as integrated knowledge, such that graduates can generate new products, and at the same time can serve as the next generation to handle and inherit obligations of the existing occupations.
The choice of electives will provide students with opportunities to enhance their interests in applying what they have learnt. Appropriate quality assurance processes and guidelines will be adopted to ensure that the new programme will be managed and delivered as all other well-recognized international undergraduate programmes.
The major requires a total of 120 credit units. Applicants with Associate Degree, Higher Diploma or equivalent qualifications may be admitted with Advanced Standing I or II(admission with Advanced Standing II will be considered from 2018-19 onwards).
Industrial Training and International Exchange
The College of Engineering and the Department offer work placement opportunities through various internship schemes that provide students with full-time job attachments in firms not only in Hong Kong but also in the Pearl River Delta region and overseas. Through such placements, students will:
- Gain solid experience in a real-world work environment;
- Develop problem-solving abilities and interpersonal skills;
- Learn the right attitudes towards work and professionalism; and
- Broaden their experience and enhance their employability.
Furthermore, for students to broaden their educational horizons, gain language experience and enhance their awareness of different cultures, the Department, College and University offer a number of credit-bearing exchange programmes with various partner institutions around the world including universities in Australia, Canada, Europe, the US and the Asia-Pacific region.
Did You Know?
- The prospects for the development of the mechanical engineering industry are greatly expanding and creating a strong demand for manpower in related mechanical engineering fields.
- Since the establishment of the Closer Economic Partnership Arrangement (CEPA) policy in 2006, the original design manufacturing (ODM) of "made-in-HK" consumer products, which involves conceptual engineering design and product research and development, has become the key role of Hong Kong companies.
- In the coming years, it is expected that Hong Kong will have stronger needs in mechanical engineering applications such as intelligent consumer products, improved product design and manufacturing, robotics and industrial automation, synthesis and testing of new materials, micro-devices and instrumentation for medical/healthcare purposes.
- In recent years, more than 90% of our graduates have found jobs in related professional fields within six months after graduation.
- Many of our students have industrial placement experience before graduation.
Department of Mechanical Engineering (options: BEng Mechanical Engineering, BEng Nuclear and Risk Engineering)
- Year of Entry: 2020
- Mode of Funding: Government-funded
- Admission Code: 1207 Department of Mechanical Engineering (options: BEng Mechanical Engineering, BEng Nuclear and Risk Engineering)
- Mode of Study: Full-time
Indicative Intake Target (subject to change): direct application places
- Local Students: 18 (the Combined figure for programmes 1207, 1696A and 1700A)
- Non-Local Students: Direct Application route for international and mainland Non-Gaokao students: around 250. NUEE route [全国普通高等学校统一招生计划（统招）] for mainland Gaokao students: around 225
- Normal Duration of Programme: 4 years
- Direct/Non-JUPAS Application Deadline: 2 January 2020 (Local & Non-local)
Department of Mechanical Engineering
The Department of Mechanical Engineering (MNE) aims to educate and train students to be professional engineers, providing them with broad-based knowledge and the fundamentals of mechanical and nuclear engineering, and the capability to integrate the diverse disciplines of mechanical, electronic and computer engineering. To achieve these aims, the Department takes an interdisciplinary approach and includes subject areas that ensure our graduates are equipped to meet Hong Kong's current and future needs. The former Department of Mechanical and Biomedical Engineering was retitled in 2018.
The Department currently offers majors in Mechanical Engineering and Nuclear and Risk Engineering. It has over 20 faculty members, with academic strengths in four specific areas: (1) thermal-fluids; (2) design, mechanics and materials; (3) robotics, automation and control; and (4) nuclear and risk engineering.
Admission Arrangements for Direct/Non-JUPAS Applicants
Applicants to this programme (admission code: 1207) will be considered for admission to first-year studies at the Department of Mechanical Engineering. Students will enter a major (current major options: Mechanical Engineering, Nuclear and Risk Engineering) after one year of study. The top 40% of students# will have a free choice of majors offered by the Department. The other 60% of students will be allocated a major within the Department, subject to the availability of places and the selection criteria set by individual majors.
# Based on CGPA with no failed grades and completion of at least 30 credit units including College/Department required courses.
Applicants seeking advanced standing entry can submit an application for the following programmes:
- BEng Mechanical Engineering (admission code: 1696A)
- BEng Nuclear and Risk Engineering (admission code: 1700A)
Entrance Requirements for Direct/Non-JUPAS Applicants
To be considered for admission, you must satisfy the General Entrance Requirements. Applicants are also expected to have a science or engineering background.
About the School
Welcome to City University of Hong Kong (CityU). We are a dynamic university established in 1994 and uniquely located in the heart of Hong Kong, Asia's world city. Our goals are to pursue high levels ... Read More