Materials Science and Engineering
- Major: Materials Science and Engineering
- Degree / Award Title: Bachelor of Engineering in Materials Science and Engineering
- Offering Academic Unit: Department of Materials Science and Engineering
- Mode of Study: Full-time
Aims of Major
This major aims to educate and produce graduates who will be:
- Equipped with working knowledge of the production, characterization, and service performance of engineering materials;
- Proficient communicators equipped with a range of disciplines and skills, computer literacy, language proficiency, and the ability to think quantitatively and analyse problems critically;
- Able to contribute their specialist skills, alongside other engineering specialists, to the design, manufacture, maintenance, testing and safety of engineering components, devices, structures and process plants;
- Able to demonstrate an awareness of the context within which they work, and take responsibility for their own personal and professional development;
- Demonstrate the ability to integrate knowledge learned in the major to support in at least an original discovery or creative design relevant to materials engineering.
Intended Learning Outcomes of Major (MILOs)
Upon successful completion of the materials engineering major, students should be able to:
- Apply knowledge of mathematics, science, and engineering appropriate to the materials engineering discipline.
- Design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data.
- Design a system, component, or process to meet the desired needs within realistic constraints, such as economic, environmental, social, political and ethical expectations, health and safety, manufacturability and sustainability.
- Function in multidisciplinary teams.
- Identify, formulate, and solve engineering problems.
- Recognize professional and ethical responsibility.
- Communicate effectively.
- Recognize the impact of engineering solutions in a global and societal context, especially the importance of health, safety and environmental considerations for both workers and the general public.
- Recognize the need for, and to engage in life-long learning.
- Stay abreast of contemporary issues.
- Use the techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practise appropriate to the materials engineering discipline.
- Use computers and IT relevant to the materials discipline along with an understanding of their processes and limitations.
- Create an original design, or explore the materials engineering area for discovery of new knowledge.
- For students with recognised Advanced Level Examinations or equivalent qualifications.
- For Associate Degree/Higher Diploma graduates admitted as senior-year intake students.
The BEng degree in Materials Engineering has been provisionally accredited by the Hong Kong Institution of Engineers (HKIE) as an award satisfying the academic requirements for its Corporate Membership.
BEng Materials Science and Engineering
- Year of Entry: 2020
- Mode of Funding: Government-funded
- Admission Code: 1210 BEng Materials Science and Engineering
- Mode of Study: Full-time
- Indicative Intake Target (subject to change): direct application places
- Local Students: 8 for the Department of Materials Science and Engineering
- Non-Local Students: Direct Application route for international and mainland Non-Gaokao students: around 250. NUEE route [全国普通高等学校统一招生计划（统招）] for mainland Gaokao students: around 225
- Normal Duration of Programme: 4 years
- Direct/Non-JUPAS Application Deadline: 2 January 2020 (Local & Non-local)
Department of Materials Science and Engineering
As the first of its kind in Hong Kong, the Department of Materials Science and Engineering was established to develop internationally competitive and cutting-edge research and provide a professional curriculum that equips graduates to contribute to materials science and engineering and related sectors in Hong Kong, greater China and the rest of the world.
The Department serves as a collaboration platform for developing cross-disciplinary academic programmes and interdisciplinary research projects with other academic units in the University. Further, it aspires to become a world-leading department in research and professional education with a focus on the following four target areas:
- Computational materials science
- Functional materials
- Structural materials
The Department also serves as an international platform to encourage collaboration among the leading institutes in the world and to enhance our global research reputation.
BEng Materials Science and Engineering
In the Materials Science and Engineering major, students acquire knowledge that can be used to solve materials problems in engineering processes. Graduates of this major can seek jobs in engineering companies and join the Hong Kong Institution of Engineers as graduate members. They can become professional engineers after receiving the relevant on-the-job training and completing the professional assessment.
The Materials Science and Engineering major aims to equip students with the skills and knowledge required to meet local and regional needs in the industrial, commercial, government and education sectors.
In particular, graduates of this major understand the production, fabrication and service performance of engineering materials, including conventional bulk materials, advanced thin-film and nanostructured materials. Working with other engineering specialists, our graduates contribute to the design, manufacture, maintenance, safety enhancement and testing of engineering components, devices, structures and processing plants.
Admission Arrangements for Direct/Non-JUPAS Applicants
Applicants to this programme (admission code: 1210) will be considered for admission to first-year studies in the Bachelor of Engineering in Materials Science and Engineering programme.
Applicants seeking advanced standing entry can submit an application for the following programme:
- BEng Materials Science and Engineering (admission code: 1640A)
Entrance Requirements for Direct/Non-JUPAS Applicants
To be considered for admission, you must satisfy the General Entrance Requirements. Applicants are also expected to have a science or engineering background.
Start Your Career Here
Materials Science and Engineering is an exciting and fascinating subject. Many of the novel materials invented over the past few decades significantly influence the way we live.
Materials Science and Engineering has permeated all industrial sectors. Graduates may choose to work in many different areas such as the electronics, toy, plastic, metal, ceramic and construction industries, or in testing laboratories. Graduates may also be employed as quality control engineers, production engineers, testing engineers or technical sales engineers for equipment, machinery and materials.
A Materials Science and Engineering education predispose students to a life enriched by the ability to understand technical information and analyse problems using scientific reasoning. In the past, materials engineering graduates have pursued successful careers in other diverse fields such as finance, business and education.
Industrial Training and International Exchange
The College of Science and Engineering and the Department offer work placement opportunities through different internship schemes that provide students with full-time job attachments in firms in Hong Kong, the Pearl River Delta region and overseas. Through such placements, students will:
- Gain solid experience in a real-world work environment;
- Develop problem-solving abilities and interpersonal skills;
- Learn the right attitudes towards work and professionalism; and
- Broaden their experience and enhance their employability.
To help students to broaden their educational horizons, gain language experience and enhance their awareness of different cultures, the Department, College and University offers over 110 credit-bearing exchange programmes with various partner universities around the world, including Australia, Canada, Europe, the US and others in the Asia-Pacific region.
Graduates of the Materials Science and Engineering major are all-round materials engineers who can participate in design, manufacturing and quality assurance teams in high-tech industries.
Did You Know?
Among the many distinguished academics at the Department of Materials Science and Engineering:
- Professor Alex Jen is listed among the top researchers in the world with Google h-index > 100.
- Professor Alex Jen is awarded as one of the top 10 researchers in perovskite solar cell field by Times Higher Education.
- Professor Alex Jen and Professor Paul Chu are awarded the 2017 Highly Cited Researchers.
- Professor WJ Zhang et al. published a paper in Science.
- Professor Andrey Rogach was ranked 51st worldwide among “100 Top Materials Scientists of the past decade” by Thomson Reuters in 2011 and received the Grand Research Excellence Award from City University of Hong Kong that same year.
About the School
Welcome to City University of Hong Kong (CityU). We are a dynamic university established in 1994 and uniquely located in the heart of Hong Kong, Asia's world city. Our goals are to pursue high levels ... Read More