Environmental Science and Engineering
- Major: Environmental Science and Engineering
- Degree / Award Title: Bachelor of Engineering in Environmental Science and Engineering
- Offering Academic Unit: School of Energy and Environment
- Mode of Study: Full-time
Aims of Major
This major aims to provide professional education to train students to be knowledgeable in environmental science and engineering so that they can work as environmental professionals contributing to improved environmental performance and sustainability. The programme objectives are:
- To provide students with broad-based knowledge and fundamentals of environmental science and engineering with three streams, namely environmental technology, sustainability and environmental management, and environmental science;
- To produce graduates who can perform competently as environmental professionals, scientists and engineers in commercial, industrial and non-governmental organizations, civil services and educational institutions;
- To produce graduates that are aware of global, societal, ethical and professional issues and responsibilities in the practice of environmental science and engineering and make contributions to the betterment of the society; and
- To nurture students' ability to engage in life-long learning and professional development.
Intended Learning Outcomes of Major
Upon successful completion of this Major, students should be able to:
- Apply knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering and state-of-the-art technology in the environmental science and engineering discipline.
- Design and conduct environmental engineering experiments, analyse data and interpret data.
- Design a system, component, or process in an environmental engineering context to meet desired needs within realistic constraints, such as environmental, economic, social, political, ethical, health and safety, and sustainability.
- Work effectively as part of a focused or multi-disciplinary team.
- Identify, formulate and solve environmental engineering problems.
- Be conversant with the professional, social, ethical, health and safety responsibilities of a competent engineer.
- Communicate effectively in written and oral forms.
- Analyse the impact of engineering solutions on sustainability and environmental management in a societal or economic context.
- Explain contemporary issues relating to sustainability and describe their implications for environmental engineering practice and the development of innovative technologies.
- Recognise the need for, and engage in, life-long learning.
- Use mathematical or experimental tools and techniques relevant to the environmental disciplines along with an understanding of their processes and limitations.
- Use the computer/IT tools relevant to the environmental disciplines along with an understanding of their processes and limitations.
- For students with recognised Advanced Level Examinations or equivalent qualifications.
- For Associate Degree/Higher Diploma graduates admitted to the senior year.
Start Your Career Here
Graduates enjoy a wide range of career opportunities in various units such as government departments, NGOs, secondary schools and private companies.
- Energy engineers in the following types of companies: utility (electricity and gas), energy services, environmental consulting, environmental engineering, transport (mass transit, buses, ferries, ocean-going vessels, airlines, aircraft services), government departments, etc.
- Environmental/sustainability engineers in corporations, property management companies, real-estate developers, construction, manufacturing and transportation industries, etc.
- Professionals in companies/institutes involved in researching, developing, manufacturing and/or selling products related to energy generation, storage, efficiency and conservation, and environmental technology to prevent, control, treat and remediate environmental pollution.
- Professionals in non-government organisations with activities related to the environment.
- Financial analysts and investors in financial institutions with business in energy and environmental investments and/or loans.
- Consultants in non-government organisations with activities related to energy and the environment.
- Secondary school teachers who are responsible for science and Liberal Studies curriculum.
Entrance Requirements for Direct/Non-JUPAS Applicants
To be considered for admission, you must satisfy the General Entrance Requirements and the following major-specific entrance requirements:
- Good grades in Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry at a high school or post-secondary institution.
Our undergraduate programme, Bachelor of Engineering in Environmental Science and Engineering, is accredited by The Hong Kong Institution of Engineers (HKIE) meeting the academic requirement for HKIE Corporate Membership in the environmental discipline.
The HKIE has agreements for reciprocal recognition of professional qualifications with engineering authorities in Australia, Canada, Ireland, the Mainland, New Zealand and the United Kingdom, and agreements of co-operation with other organisations in Europe, the Mainland, North America and Southeast Asia.
School of Energy and Environment (options: BEng Energy Science and Engineering, BEng Environmental Science and Engineering)
- Year of Entry: 2020
- Mode of Funding: Government-funded
- Admission Code: 1051 School of Energy and Environment (options: BEng Energy Science and Engineering, BEng Environmental Science and Engineering)
- Mode of Study: Full-time
- Indicative Intake Target (subject to change):
- JUPAS and non-JUPAS government-funded places: 68
- Direct Application Places (Local Students): 14 for the School of Energy and Environment
- Non-Local Students: Direct Application route for international and mainland Non-Gaokao students: around 250. NUEE route [全国普通高等学校统一招生计划（统招）] for mainland Gaokao students: around 225
- Normal Duration of Programme: 4 years
- Direct/Non-JUPAS Application Deadline: 2 January 2020 (Local & Non-local)
School of Energy and Environment
The School performs cutting-edge research and provides professional education on globally hot issues related to energy and the environment. The development of technologies that can generate clean and sustainable energy, as well as studies on the impact on the environment and global climate change from energy use and production, must, therefore, be at the forefront of energy and environmental research.
To mitigate climate change resulting from the overuse of fossil fuels, governments, industries and business sectors have been gearing up to use technologies focused on energy efficiency and conservation. This is where the School of Energy and Environment, as an educator, steps in to provide the required training.
The School of Energy and Environment currently offers the following majors:
- BEng Energy Science and Engineering
- BEng Environmental Science and Engineering
Students start with a common year of foundation study. The content of our programmes covers a wide spectrum of areas, allowing students to explore knowledge in a number of environments. At the beginning of their studies, they develop a broad scientific foundation by studying courses in basic science, covering mathematics, computer science, physics, chemistry and biology before they are guided through an in-depth exploration of environment and energy issues. Students declare their majors after completing the foundation courses in the first year.
We aim to:
- Advance research in targeted themes of benefit to societal needs in energy, the environment and sustainability;
- Educate engineers and professionals at undergraduate and graduate levels by adopting holistic approaches that provide innovative solutions to local and regional problems in energy, the environment and sustainability; and
- Maintain a collaborative and supportive atmosphere for students, faculty, alumni and other stakeholders in advancing our interdisciplinary research and educational objectives
Entrance Requirements for Direct/Non-JUPAS Applicants
To be considered for admission, you must satisfy the General Entrance Requirements and have studied subjects related to Mathematics and Chemistry/Physics at a high school or post-secondary institution.
Admission Arrangements for Direct/Non-JUPAS Applicants
Applicants to this programme (admission code: 1051) will be considered for admission to first-year studies at the School of Energy and Environment. Students will enter a major (current major options: Energy Science and Engineering; Environmental Science and Engineering) after one year of study. The top 20% of students# will have a free choice of majors offered by the School. The other 80% of students will be allocated a major within the School, subject to the availability of places and the selection criteria set by individual majors.
# Based on CGPA with no failed grades and completion of at least 30 credit units including School required courses.
Applicants seeking advanced standing entry can submit an application for the following programmes:
- BEng Energy Science and Engineering (admission code: 1694A)
- BEng Environmental Science and Engineering (admission code: 1702A)
Student Exchange Programme
To widen the global horizon and enhance the learning experience, students are encouraged to join the Student Exchange Programme, which allows them to undertake part of their degree study abroad. SEE students can apply for exchange places at our partner institutions for both institutional and school-level programmes.
The Internship Programme is aligned with the learning outcomes of our Bachelor’s programmes, aiming to equip students with a clear understanding and appreciation of the energy and environmental issues encountered by the government, business, industry and the community at large. The internship is conducted during either the summer break between the first and second year or the second and third year of undergraduate study, as arranged with our internship partners. Students normally spend about eight weeks on the internship. Some individual companies/organisations may offer students one-year placements.
About the School
Welcome to City University of Hong Kong (CityU). We are a dynamic university established in 1994 and uniquely located in the heart of Hong Kong, Asia's world city. Our goals are to pursue high levels ... Read More