The mission of The Faculty of Education and Leadership is to empower its students and staff to perform to their highest potential by offering programmes of the highest quality and guidance that will facilitate them to demonstrate best practice in teaching/ methodology, research as well as effective skills.
The vision of The Faculty of Education and Leadership is to distinguish itself as one that displays a high standard of effectiveness, efficiency, integrity, and scholarship as far as it programmes, staff and clients/students are concerned as it continues to operate as an important part of the Mico University.
Overview of the Faculty of Education and Leadership
The Faculty of Education has four departments. These are Special Education, Early Education, Professional Studies and Physical Education. The faculty offers 4-year degrees in Primary Education, Early Childhood Education, Special Education, Physical Education and School Management and Leadership, also offers through the Department of Professional Studies, many of the core courses which are required for all students, regardless of their area of specialization. This department also offers the Practicum component of the programme, giving students the opportunity to do field work in schools/institutions mostly in Kingston and St. Catherine, allowing them to practice the teaching strategies, methods, and skills to which they are exposed in the more theoretical courses. We encourage a very reflective approach to both facilitation and learning and see our students as our number one priority.
Candidates should satisfy any of the following requirements:
4 - YEAR PROGRAMME
- Have 5 CXC subjects (General Proficiency Grades 1, 2 or 3 or their equivalent) including:
- English Language
- One Social Science
- One Science
- In addition to 2 CAPE Unit 1 subject
- Successful completion of The Two Year Pre-University College Early Childhood Education Programme.
- Mature entry-Minimum of five years experience (Portfolio and Interview)
2 - YEAR PROGRAMME (Post Diploma Degree)
Teachers' diploma for entry to the two-year programme
- To be admitted to the degree program, candidates must satisfy the following general requirements:
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Have passes in CSES and CAPE to include 5 CSEC subjects Inc. English language and mathematics, and 2 units of CAPE, or equivalent certifications as approved by the academic board.
About the School
MICO UNIVERSITY COLLEGE is registered by the University Council of Jamaica ( UCJ ) to provide teacher education at the graduate degree level. It should be noted that this programme is approved by the ... Read More