This programme aims to prepare our students to become outstanding primary school teachers who:
- have a positive professional attitude;
- have sound academic knowledge and broad-based professional knowledge and skills;
- have lifelong learning skills and are able to appreciate moral, social and cultural values;
- can work collaboratively with students, parents, colleagues, school administrators and other professionals; and
- understand education issues of Hong Kong and react positively to educational innovations.
On completion of the programme, General Studies students are expected to be able to:
- demonstrate a solid understanding and command of the core concepts and methods of enquiry in social sciences, science and technology;
- show a broad understanding of the diverse social and cultural contexts in the local, national and global communities;
- demonstrate a thorough understanding of interdisciplinary concepts and approaches in curriculum integration and display competence in interdisciplinary studies and thinking;
- apply critical and creative thinking and problem-solving abilities to deal with social, science, environmental and health-related issues.;
- display a positive attitude towards the acceptance of diversity and multiplicity;
- demonstrate the pedagogical literacy and competency required for the development and implementation of the curriculum.
On completion of the programme, Mathematics students are expected to be able to:
- demonstrate an understanding of mathematical concepts and competence in explaining them clearly to school pupils;
- plan and implement appropriate learning, teaching and assessment strategies to cater for the pupils' individual differences in learning mathematics;
- adopt appropriate strategies to arouse pupils' interest in learning mathematics;
- enrich and apply critical and logical thinking skills in teaching and real-life settings;
- use information technologies and appropriate software to enhance learning and teaching of mathematics.
||Credit Points (cps)
|Major (including an Interdisciplinary Course and Research Methods)
- Education Studies Core (Generic)
- Pedagogy for Major
|Final Year Project ( Honours Project / Capstone Project)
|Electives (including Free Electives, Minor or Second Major)
Note: Classes will be held in Tai Po Campus and Tseung Kwan O Study Centre / Kowloon Tong Satellite Study Centre / Sports Centre as decided by the University.
This is the key building block for teacher professional competence with a well-developed sequence of academic contents that gradually increases in depth and complexity. Students will study one major subject from the following:
- General Studies
Career Prospects/Professional Qualifications
Their in-depth academic and professional knowledge confers graduates of the programme with excellent career prospects. They will possess a Qualified Teacher Status in Hong Kong and are ready to become fully qualified teachers in local primary schools. In addition to the professional teaching career, as they will have been equipped with the necessary academic knowledge and intellectual skills, they can also embark on a wide variety of other careers, such as civil service, news organisations, publishing houses, etc.
Program taught in: