Interaction designers develop cohesive systems that deeply impact people’s lives. Systems design (UX) and human-computer interactive interface design are relatively new professions. Topics covered in this course to prepare graduates to enter this advance industry include: Human-computer interaction; designing and coding interactive interfaces across a variety of platforms (web-based, mobile, and ‘small screen applications); data visualisation and informatics; the design of digital information; the principles of user experience design; coding languages; viewer / consumer behaviour in a digital environment; digital integrated marketing; digital branding and digital design management.
Graduates will be equipped with technical tools, design skills and an understanding of the ‘human factors’ involved in systems design.
- Consumables cost 1st year (+-R1000) **estimates only
- Continuous project-based assessment
- Digital and print portfolio submissions in 2nd and 3rd year
- Final years graduate in December
- Degree candidates can go on to apply for postgraduate studies pending they meet the application and entrance requirements of the relevant Institution.
- Our programmes are quality assured and standardised across all Inscape campuses nationally.
- You can enrol for our Bachelor of Design programme at any campus to complete your 1st year.
- Students who are accepted into certain degree specialisation programmes might be required to complete their 2nd and 3rd-year studies at another specialised Inscape campus.
What is included in the course
- MacBook * optional
- Wacom tablet
- Software licenses (as per programme requirements)
- Prescribed textbooks
- 1st-year preliminary art equipment
- Online library subscription
- Digital study guides and courseware
- Internet connectivity
- Monthly consumables
- Digital camera
Course Information Year 1
FUNDAMENTAL DESIGN 1st year – DESIGN SKILLS
- Developing fundamental design skills to create design savvy, critical thinkers.
- Developing foundational Drawing Skills, Basic Material and Manufacturing awareness, Digital Image Making, Communication, Software and Leadership skills to create well-rounded designers fit for any design industry.
- Developing an awareness of the integrated nature of design, advancing the unique thinking of our students.
- Introducing an appreciation for Design History.
- Establishing fundamental building blocks for creative problem-solving.
Course Information Year 2
DISCIPLINE-SPECIFIC 2nd year – DESIGN KNOWLEDGE
- Discipline Specific knowledge will be developed through the study of communication design, probing and scrutinising visual design and exploring the development of media for on-screen communication.
- Applying theory to practice through data visualisation, exercising and applying information design and interactive design. The exploration of UX design through various platforms such as web, mobile, tablet and touch-screen will further develop applications, work-flow methodologies and coding languages based on touchscreen technologies and database management.
- Advancing software skills and technical knowledge through front-end software used for developing hardy and adaptable web-based communication and interactive user experiences.
- Developing an understanding of the business of design through the awareness of interactive operations such as professional practice, consumer behaviour, digitally integrated marketing and communication, digital brand presence and the need for digital brand management.
Course Information Year 3
SPECIALISATION 3rd year – DESIGN STYLE
- Developing a signature interactive design style by investigating human-computer interaction and interactive interfaces like web-based platforms, mobile and ‘small-screen’ applications as well as motion studies.
- Developing advanced knowledge and expert skills by exploring user experience design principles, application development, socioeconomics (social/economic progress) and informatics through information systems.
- Developing an understanding of the guidelines and principles involved in running a design business. Promoting business vision, mission and values give graduates the confidence and ‘know-how’ to start their own design initiatives based on a foundational knowledge of strategic development, marketing strategies, the importance of branding and managing finances.
More about the bachelor of Design Degree (B.DES)
This three-year full-time qualification produces professional designers equipped for a rewarding career in design. Students qualifying can practise as junior designers or study towards an Honours Degree. As this qualification is universal, it applies to a variety of design disciplines, including fashion design, interior design, graphic design, multimedia design, jewellery design, industrial design, product design, spatial design, design research, design writing and design for the environment.
Traditionally, the various fields within design and design education have been separated. Public and private Higher Education schools have offered all sorts of qualifications. Our Bachelor of Design qualification aligns industry standards and educates designers following common guidelines. It also implements the long-awaited minimum standards for designers of all disciplines.
Design is globally recognised as a profession. Worldwide, designers are required to have at least a three-year qualification. Inscape offers the Bachelor of Design Degree with common competencies and specialisations through elective subjects.
The first year of the Bachelor of Design provides a foundation in design thinking, constructs and visual communication, photography, material studies, image making and design history, communication studies, leadership and unique thinking and software include basics in Adobe products. We love that our students learn alongside aspiring designers of other disciplines. This kind of exposure blows a student’s design perspective wide open and teaches relevance and appropriateness in terms of design solutions within the business world.
At the end of the first year, students are required to select their chosen stream as a specialisation of their future career choice. Our students love the fact that they have a full year to become fully entrenched in the world of design. They attest to the fact that when they make their final decision regarding a chosen specialisation that they do so with confidence and fully informed.
Second and third year are intense. Each specialisation stream is packed with knowledge and technical skill required of the respective discipline. Our students, however, are well prepared in the first year and enter into the senior years equipped with the ability to think critically and apply themselves effectively. Our success rates are a testimony to the fact that our unique approach to teaching design, works.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated January 25, 2018